Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ran "slalom" through highway cones... it was awsome

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:36 AM
02 TL Type-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ran "slalom" through highway cones... it was awsome

Haha not really a racing or competition story, but this made my night cause I've wanted to do this for many many years now!

On my drive to PA (posted bout owning the Maxima ) we got caught up in some traffic on 287 ~ exit 26 or so. THey were paving and had the road going from 3 lanes to 1. So, when we got to the 1 lane, it turns out t stayed 1 lane for a good 3-5 miles or so, and to separate us from the rest of the highway were nice, evenly spaced cones... for probably 2/3 of the coned off highway there were no cars, trucks, etc on the coned off part, so I decided I would fulfill my dream and make slalom turns through the highway road cones.

In the line of traffic we were doin ~35, which was pretty damn fun I gotta say. Car handled really niche, not too much body roll and very responsive through the turns. Maintained a nice constant speed, good weight distribution and such, and just carved back and forth. Did that for probably 20 cones or so, it was a blast.

Then the truck in front of me pulled off to the side of the road (scared?? dont know) and I had absolutely no one in front of me for ~ 1/2 mile. So i speed up to ~ 60 or 63 maybe and am cruising, at which point I realize that speed would make the cone swerving WAAAAAAY more fun. So I cut into the cones and performed more of an emergency avoidance maneuver around 2 cones, got the tires irking and TCS actually went on, so I had about 4-5 mph too much through them. But the car almost carved perfectly, I turned slightly too hard on the 2nd turn, causing a little overloading of the outside front tire so I got a small uncontrolled skid (20 feet), but oh man, sooooooooooooooooooooooo fun!!!

I recommend it to anyone who gets a relatively safe opportunity! Fantastic way to test the car's handling. I would have liked to see how fast I could go while still maintaining 99% control, but theres always next time!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bro, I'm sure that was very fun to do, but it was also very careless and dangerous as well. You said you did this at night? There could have very easily been a construction worker or vehicle just outside of your range of visibility. Limited visibility+construction zone+makeshift slalom course=very bad accident waiting to happen. Coulnd't you have set up a slalom course of your own in an abandoned parking lot or something?

And yes, I know this is the R&R section, so you may say "If you don't want to read it, don't come in here." But come on, man, let's be realistic. Unless there's something I missed in your story--it was daytime, you had realtime satellite imagery of the half-mile stretch of road in front of you, thermal sensors on your car, etc.--your fun time could have turned into a disaster in an instant.

I recommend that no one else try this on a public road, but instead in controlled environment where you don't have to worry about seriously maiming or killing an innocent bystander.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:01 PM
02 TL Type-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trust me, there were absolutely no people or anything except cones around. i'm not that retarded
Old 09-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not trying to be your dad or anything, man. I'm just saying, if it was nighttime when you did this, it's very possible that someone or something could have been hidden by the darkness, and you wouldn't know it until it was too late. Imagine if a fellow motorist's car had broken down 3 miles up the road, and he/she/they was walking back down the highway to get to one of the blue boxes to call for help, thinking to themselves "this lane of the road is closed off, it should be safe to walk here." Point is: there are way too many unknown variables to be able to say with absolute, 100% certainty that there was noone around.

But of course, I'm just some random guy on the internet, and you make your own decisions, so you can choose to ignore me if you'd like.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by levon1830
Not trying to be your dad or anything, man. I'm just saying, if it was nighttime when you did this, it's very possible that someone or something could have been hidden by the darkness, and you wouldn't know it until it was too late. Imagine if a fellow motorist's car had broken down 3 miles up the road, and he/she/they was walking back down the highway to get to one of the blue boxes to call for help, thinking to themselves "this lane of the road is closed off, it should be safe to walk here." Point is: there are way too many unknown variables to be able to say with absolute, 100% certainty that there was noone around.

But of course, I'm just some random guy on the internet, and you make your own decisions, so you can choose to ignore me if you'd like.

Well, by that logic, we shouldn't even drive cars. It's too dangerous to drive cars. There are so many unforeseeable variables.

The guy was just having a little fun. It's not like he was doing it in a high school parking lot after school got out.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Well, by that logic, we shouldn't even drive cars. It's too dangerous to drive cars. There are so many unforeseeable variables.
Before I even started typing my initial response in this thread, I knew it was fruitless.

Screw it. Here, let me fix my initial post.

Originally Posted by levon1830
Bro, I'm sure that was very fun to do!
Fixed.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
While no one may have been around, it was still not a very prudent act. This may be something that can take care of your fix bigdo: LINK