Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran a 350Z Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by jr27
lol... this is coming from a dude that has a 2011 335i and a 2010 x3 and other cars. not hating in anyway man, but come on its obvious we all buy what we can comfortably afford and modd that, yeah maybe i could buy a new nissan gtr if i really wanted to but i would like to mod it but i would only have money for the car and nothing for mods. if that were the case we would all stop modding cars and drive a fast stock car, and at least to me that would suck, i love to mod my cars even if it is little by little, i cant stand a stock car...
Thing is I'm 69 years old with a lot of years of progressively better jobs behind me so I can afford to buy pretty much what I want such as things I could not afford when I grew up in the projects.

My first car, well used, was a 57 Chevy which I purchased over a '57 Ford because the Chevy was quicker out of the box & easier to modify then the Ford.

My first brand new car was a 409/409 Chevy which was sponsored (parts & shop usage) by the local Chevy dealer. Was all downhill from there in that I have had at least one performance car ever since. Therefore I think my question is valid. If you are spending X thousand dollars to modify a car why not get either a quicker car to start with or one that is a really good modification candidate that has a lot of parts available.

One problem I see with the TL is that Honda has pretty much gotten what is available out of the motor & still have it streetable. There is not much headroom in them to get more power out without spending some serious money.

Some shots of some of my work. '33 ford frame up build including motor & transmission built by me & my two brother-in-laws. One of a number of motors built by me & stuffed into the Corvette Finally my GTO at Seaside Park on the Jersey Shore way before it became a TV show.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-11-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
I love that generation GOAT!! Anyhow (and as you're likely aware), modding has about as much to do with putting one's stamp on an otherwise cookie cutter car as it does with enhancing performance.

I was able to mod my old 99 Accord 4 cylinder to the point where it was as quick/fast as the 6G V6. Realistically, the 6G AV6's performance was never anything to write home about but, getting my F23A4 Accord up to this level (without FI) was a way for me to shape a basic 99 Accord LX into something MUCH more to my liking not to mention enjoying the creative process along the way.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
^ +1.

I like how Hondas are generally treated as underdogs when they're put side by side from their competitors.

The Accord generally isn't a fast car, but the mods I've added + 6MT has surprised quite a few cars that thought thought they'd have easy run .. that's my favorite part .

I'll keep an eye out for a 350Z Nismo, not sure how I would fair against one but I know he wouldn't walk away from me too bad.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
If you are spending X thousand dollars to modify a car why not get either a quicker car to start with or one that is a really good modification candidate that has a lot of parts available.
because a 12 second Vette is, well boring.

a 12 second civic is an accomplishment...

there are 2 types of enthusiast...
1 that buy's fast cars, and 1 that builds them.

ask me which one takes more pride and enjoyment out of the two....
Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21

Nicely put
Old 08-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Just a thought, but I am not sure why so many people are spending so much money for such marginal gains. Why not just take the money & swap for a faster base car?
Cause I'm 37 and simply don't want to spend the money on a faster car at this time. Things like my wife, kids, mortgage, investments, and expenses get in the way. I could easily go out and buy a brand $40K car and still have plenty in my investments, but it screws up my goals of retiring from fulltime employment at 50ish when I pay off my house.

I enjoy tinkering with my cars and spending a few hundred bucks here and there to improve the car makes me very happy. My low 14-second G is far from fast, but damn does it look good, handle better, and is about .6 seconds faster than stock. It looks like no other G in my area and it's mine. I could never drive stock and that's basically what I'd have to do if I bought something new. I'd feel guilty buying an expensive car then funneling more money into it. If I had a better paying job, I'd most definitely have something newer, nicer, and faster. I'm not sad though. Life could be far worse.

Finally, most every mod on my car can be removed and sold for 75%+ of what I paid. I don't look forward to that day when I have to pull it all off. That's going to take a while
Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jr27
also will the 3.69 be very noticeable.

im a salesman at america's tire/discount tire so i can get DRs for a very good price which ones do you suggest for my stock 17's?

It will be noticeable, but it's not going to be a huge increase. You're talking about a 5% increase in torque multiplication. What you'll probably notice most is that the gears feel more ideal and responsive around town.

As for the DRs, I'd personnally source a set of 16X8 300ZX rims or RX7 rims. This will allow you to run a DR with a taller sidewall and will improve bite. Of course if you're going to get drag specifically tires and I had a 6MT, I would go straight to slicks. There's no comparison. Just because you have slicks doesn't mean you have to launch at full boil. You can regulate grip through psi, launch rpm, and burnouts. DRs are somewhat inconsistent and usually require big burnouts to grip well.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

I am reasonably sure I have built more high performance motors then you have had birthdays but buying as fast a car as you can afford is generally a good plan if you are in anyway tracking the car.

Its also lot cheaper way to go in the long run.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,205 Likes on 690 Posts

It may be boring, but as he said, it'd be something to start with & has a gigantic aftermarket of parts just as affordable as the Acura. TBH, I'm thinking of doing that as well because the money it'll take to make the TL a decently fast car is just too much for me personally when I can buy a C5 Z06 for the same price as my Acura & get a lot more power behind it for the same price it would take a TL just to reach 400whp. That's not to take anything from those who do continue to choose more unique cars to go fast in; those guys are pioneers for their own enthusiast groups much like the turbo guys for our forum.

I can also understand your reasoning behind your view, but I've met quite a lot of guys here in DFW that have just as much pride in their 700+whp Supras, GT-Rs, Vipers, Vettes, etc. that they've modified over time.

The only difference between us & them is just our budgets.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 08-11-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
It's also to do with where you are in life.
I personally cant afford a Z06, and will stick to my TL for 10+ years.

in 10 years, if circumstances are right, then yeah, I'd get a super fast car. butt, for right now the TL is perfect for my needs.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Let's also not forget, when the 3G TL came out in late '03, it was actually a pretty quick car in 6 spd. form, and still is, although cars have gotten much faster over the last 8 years. I was just thinking today, what domestic cars in '03 were capable of running sub 14's in stock form? The F bodies were gone, leaving just the C5 and Viper really. The 260 hp Mustang wasn't all that fast. And as far as the Asian cars, the IS300 was a dog, the G was just coming onto the scene and was respectable, and then the TL was looking damn fine, and people were like "wow, this 6MT Accord is actually pretty quick, too!". As far as the Germans, the 330i was respectable speed wise, but not 335 caliber, the A4's were doggy and a little girly, unless you went S4.

Now we've got Taurus SHO's, G8's, V8 Grand Prixs and Malibus, Cobalt SS, SRT-4's, the Camaro's back, the 5.0 Mustang is off the hook on every level, about 17 different Mopars running the Hemi etc. Not to mention the imports have gotten way faster as well. Did I mention 5000-6000 lb trucks are getting fast now?

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but the TL was the only car that fit my budget at the time and everything about it was right (except maybe the FWD), but the fact I knew it'd be dead reliable offset that. Like I said before, I want to get into a 335i at some point soon, but I keep thinking it won't be a smart move over the long haul. I know I'll have it chipped, downpiped and DCI'd within a week of commencing ownership.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 PM
The Dumb One

you guys dont seem to understand the concept of purchasing a higher performance car with a higher price which in some cases could leave little to no funds to mod at all.

you can boast your countless builds and jobs and money all you want... but i could use your logic and say why dont you just buy a lamborghini aventador...

could you buy it? maybe... would you have enough left over after the monthly payments to purchase performance parts? maybe not...

to tell somebody its smarter to buy a faster car that cost more annually opposed to buying a less expensive car and using the extra to build it... makes no sense they have the same outcome, except one gives you the ability to spread your extra funds when and how you'd like.

living within your means and building a car at your own pace sounds like a fantastic idea opposed to stretching yourself thin to drive a stock, faster car...

this was my first car... i have special understanding on what it means to drive a car that BUILT not BOUGHT.
and no, i did not build this one, but trust me i was turning a few wrenches and handing tools to my father...

Last edited by Rockstar21; 08-11-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
MODERATOR'S NOTE: As we've digressed quite a bit, I'd like to steer this thread back to the topic at hand. However, if there is a need to start a new thread entitled "Why do we mod our cars?" then, by all means feel free to start one accordingly.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Suzuka Master

this was my first car... i have special understanding on what it means to drive a car that BUILT not BOUGHT.
and no, i did not build this one, but trust me i was turning a few wrenches and handing tools to my father...
Not sure what your problem is, but I very clearly said its best to start with the fastest car you can AFFORD. Afford means that you are not spending the food money on the car or having $0 in your pocket after you make the payment. Putting a lot of money in a slow car to have a not so slow car at the end of the day makes no sense to me, but maybe it does to you.

Cars like these are built not bought. The Vette did not start out with a big block but along the way it certainly got a few. Additionally the motor on the hoist in the other picture which also found a home in the Vette for a while is a Mighty Mouse, have never seen one of those bought off the shelf.

One other thing, unlike you, my Daddy was never able to give me a car since he could not afford one of his own till he was in his thirties. Anything I got in life I worked for, so don't expect me to apologize for or feel bad about what I have done.

About the only real freebie I got thanks to Uncle Sam was very good training & practical experience in heavy mechanics. The M-88 tank recovery vehicle was my office for most of my service time.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
MODERATOR'S NOTE: As we've digressed quite a bit, I'd like to steer this thread back to the topic at hand. However, if there is a need to start a new thread entitled "Why do we mod our cars?" then, by all means feel free to start one accordingly.
Sounds like a plan
Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Suzuka Master

to tell somebody its smarter to buy a faster car that cost more annually opposed to buying a less expensive car and using the extra to build it... makes no sense they have the same outcome, except one gives you the ability to spread your extra funds when and how you'd like.
Probably not to you, but if you can afford it, why stick with something cheaper?
It's like those retard Corvette owners who ask why anyone should be buying Ferraris & Lamborghinis when you can go just as fast with the Corvette after you modify it.

'Cause they can.

@F23, might as well lock it. This thread has gone far, far from the original topic.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 08-12-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
As they say, you da man Kevin. Definitely merit to both sides of the discussion and I think all of us are basically in agreement with a skewed point of view.

Anyways back OT.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 AM
The Dumb One

One other thing, unlike you, my Daddy was never able to give me a car since he could not afford one of his own till he was in his thirties..
i figured you would miss that he did not buy or just GIVE me a car... i put my own time when i could as well.

this car was built over about a 10 year span and all the work done in a two car garage, most of the parts came from the junk yard.. even the paint was done in that same garage...

i dont need your apologies.. your ignorance about my life doesnt bother me.

btw, just so you dont continue your little rant about me and my fluffy life.. the car was passed down involuntarily... and if you dont get what im saying, im sorry for ya.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 08-12-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Sorry to hear Rockstar. I'm sure your dad wanted you to have it, just sad it was so soon.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:45 AM
The Dumb One

there's a reason for everything, but i appreciate it...

just wish i could have kept it. unfortunately debts are often handed down as well...

NOW about this 350 Z.......
i'd like to run an older base model to see how the accord holds up.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 08-12-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, this thread has gone off topic bigtime!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Original thread direction.. the SRT8

Direction of this thread.. the ZR1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0chPBctxcyE

FastLS6.. you ever run a 370?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Original thread direction.. the SRT8

Direction of this thread.. the ZR1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0chPBctxcyE

FastLS6.. you ever run a 370?
Nope, I haven't had a chance to run one yet.. id love to see how it goes! I couldn't stop watching this vid last night when I found it on another forum!

BEAR-AV history, you talk about how you don't understand why these guys mod in the platform that they have and that it doesn't make since to you why they would try and make a slow car fast??? That's a retarded statement when the same thing could be said about your 335is!!! Why would you choose such a slow car compaired to the M series cars? If I was wanting to "mod" a BMW it sure wouldnt be the 335I or 335is! Why would you buy a car with average to low performance in the true "sports car" world which includes M series, AMG, and V series just to name a few? Don't cut on these guys just because you have a "faster" car then they do! Your always gonna find someone faster... slow poke
The following 2 users liked this post by FastLS6speed:
jr27 (08-12-2011), TylerT (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo9CWxw3VKM

What can I say, maybe I should get a $379 piggy back unit.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo9CWxw3VKM

What can I say, maybe I should get a $379 piggy back unit.
I'll take a decently fast car with 106,000 unstranded miles .. you can take your N54 with pre-mature fuel pump failures.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TylerT
I'll take a decently fast car with 106,000 unstranded miles .. you can take your N54 with pre-mature fuel pump failures.

Anything can happen in life so I am happy to take my chances. BTW its nice to see you escaped the Honda 6MT curse for so long.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I see I have the ability to actually lock this myself, so that's what I'm doing. This has gotten far off topic & looks like others are still keeping to the discussion F23 asked to start elsewhere.

Any mod is free to PM me over the decision.