Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rake and corner weight balance

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
rake and corner weight balance

I decided to get my car corner weight balanced since I was due for an alignment anyways. with the suggestion of the shop they decided to raise the front very slightly and fender gap is roughly even all across (half finger-3/4 finger). chassis itself is rake at .5

handling definitely felt "more even" and easier to predict i assume due to rotating point/center gravity is closer to 50/50 all around even though is 62.xx/38.xx

I feel like wanting to lower the front just a tad so the front fender gap doesn't widen upon acceleration and in my mind i feel that the front raises a bit but not sure if it goes higher than the rear when cruising since there will be lift and accel Lateral G squat

Perhaps I am extremely nit picky but I did spend a very long time setting my ride height to how I want it to be prior to this.

but nonetheless, am satisfied with the results

input appreciated or discuss some rake shizz
Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
If the TL handling bothers you and you feel like improving it, you should focus more on removing more weight from the front and possibly putting more in the rear to make it closer to 50/50? (IE: Relocating battery, removing vibramount on the front bumper, etc). Also, weight reduction helps everything .. handling, zoom zoom and MPG. Win win!

You'll notice a bigger difference doing that instead of adjusting the ride height
Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ i agree.....

but an overall weight loss is much better than moving weight to the trunk....
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
I've heard that rake on FWD cars is no bueno for handling; I doubt it will have any negative effects on straight line acceleration though. Some guys on the Honda-Tech forum said something about rake only being functional on old school drag racing cars because of the way those old RWD American muscle cars were set up. Something about the rear end sitting level upon acceleration or something; i'm no expert haha.

However, I would LOVE to see your corner balance sheet so that I could guesstimate how to do my own corner balance from home How's the weight distribution on your car? Any weight reduction mods?

Also, I wonder how a 50/50 weight distribution would do to a fwd car. The reason we have good traction is because the majority of our weight is hovering over the turning wheels, keeping them on the ground. 50/50 works well on FR vehicles for sure, but I wonder if the same rule applies for FF vehicles.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:23 AM
Racer

Corner weight is kind of a nit picky thing I'd say, not really necessary but I decided to get one anyways.

I have no spare and tools in the rear and took off 3-4 panels in the engine bay, that is it for anything taken off.

total weight with me in car 3543

61.84% weight in front 2191lb
38.16% rear 1352lb

i'm just about even plane, with very minimal rake on the chassis, not so much the wheel well.

Yes,i think that a more level plane handles better of a ff because there is already so much weight in the front. I think a 50/50 FF car will have immense understeer due to front lifting even more due to lack of weight. Unless you mean ADDING weight to the rear of a FF to even it out but I don't know how that'll be any good =p
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM

^^^

damn !!!

need to lighten the front up....my car has nothing in the rear....
Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by DC2many
Corner weight is kind of a nit picky thing I'd say, not really necessary but I decided to get one anyways.

I have no spare and tools in the rear and took off 3-4 panels in the engine bay, that is it for anything taken off.

total weight with me in car 3543

61.84% weight in front 2191lb
38.16% rear 1352lb

i'm just about even plane, with very minimal rake on the chassis, not so much the wheel well.

Yes,i think that a more level plane handles better of a ff because there is already so much weight in the front. I think a 50/50 FF car will have immense understeer due to front lifting even more due to lack of weight. Unless you mean ADDING weight to the rear of a FF to even it out but I don't know how that'll be any good =p
haha it's not nit picky! It's more like fine tuning

and I agree with the potential understeer problem with a 50/50 FF vehicle (not that it's even possible to get anywhere near 50/50 with the TL anyways). Hell no to ADDING WEIGHT to the rear!

Thanks for the response though, i'm glad you did the corner balance! I might get one done once I make up my mind about what suspension/tire-wheel setup i'm going to keep

And Anil, get that front end weight off! You wouldn't want to be the guy with huge lats and traps but no pecs, would you?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^

damn !!!

need to lighten the front up....my car has nothing in the rear....
Relocate your battery. Has a little extra gain since the battery is actually foward of the front wheels. AND you don't add weight over all, just relocating it. Same with the front beam/boat anchor (remove, not relocate).

OP what about stiffer motor mounts (if you haven't already) and adding a torque damper (or a stiffer one if you have MT) to reduce motor movement and therefore rise on acceleration. Would that work like that?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by lumyeinjun

And Anil, get that front end weight off! You wouldn't want to be the guy with huge lats and traps but no pecs, would you?
hahahaha.....i know what you mean.....

but yeah the rear half of the car is done....now for the front half i have things planned....

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Relocate your battery. Has a little extra gain since the battery is actually foward of the front wheels. AND you don't add weight over all, just relocating it. Same with the front beam/boat anchor (remove, not relocate).

OP what about stiffer motor mounts (if you haven't already) and adding a torque damper (or a stiffer one if you have MT) to reduce motor movement and therefore rise on acceleration. Would that work like that?
I thought about that bearcat....but am thinking of getting Braille battery (12 lbs) upfront....so relocating would actually take up more overall weight than the battery

but yeah braille battery + TL SHAWD manifold = 40 lbs off the front + more powwwaaaaaaa....then the racing seats and couple more things = ~150-170 lbs off the front of the car
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Racer

@lumyeinjun quickly decide on suspension set up if you havn't yet haha
@bearcat I am indeed thinking about the ETD, i may pull the trigger on it and buy one soon. perhaps VERY soon...

Last edited by DC2many; 04-06-2012 at 08:30 PM.