Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions re: low maintenance/cost finish

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions re: low maintenance/cost finish

I was reading the "Zaino reality" thread just now, and realized I was in way over my head. Rather than clutter up that thread with my somewhat off-topic questions, I decided to start my own thread for my own ignorant questions ... tapping this forum's group expertise seems like a good way to become "unignorant"

My finish: my TL will come with the "finish protection" coating they sell you as a $300 option. I'm not sure exactly what this is...I assume its some sort of "lifetime" polymer coating/clearcoat

My normal routine: once every two weeks to a month, I go to one of those drive in "wand wash" bays, where you plug the machine and get high pressure water/soap/wax/magical finish protector, depending on how you set the switch. Each such wash costs me about $12 (Canadian), mainly because I spend a fair amount of time trying to get everything clean

My objective: A good quality, low maintenance finish that will protect the underlying paint and make it look good. I don't know wax from polymer, and don't want to get a degree in paint surface chemistry.

From the Zaino thread, I see a lot of folks who must spend five or six hours every two or three weeks with fancy magical cleaning solutions and multi-layer waxes and finishes that must cost an absolute fortune. That's fantastic, but its not me. I love my car, and want to look after it well, but its not something I want to spend that much time/effort/money on. So here are my questions:

- I want a good, low maintenance coating/polishing routine that will more or less fit my normal cleaning pattern (I.E.: once every 2 weeks to a month), and won't take much more than 20-30 minutes to apply. I mean *realistically* won't take much more than 20-30 minutes: not "20-30 minutes if you have six bikini clad babes helping"
- when using this routine, what (if anything) should I spray on my car at the wand wash? Water and soap...that's obvious. But they have various waxes (wax, gloss wax) and other stuff ("anti-spot" coating that you spray on after your wash)

Advice will be greatly appreciated, by my car and myself!
Old 02-28-2004, 01:15 PM
What's a TL?

Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of info to offer you except about the Zaino. You cited that people are spending 5 or 6 hours every few weeks with this stuff, and it simply is not the case. The initial application of the stuff takes about 3 or 4 hours, but that long process is only done every once in a great while. In between you simply wash like normal and spray the finishing spray on after every wash in order to maintain the shine. The amount of time spent is really minimal, and the results are incredible (although other threads do detail people using other products and being similarly happy). Just know that the process is not one repeated every few weeks as that is simply unrealistic
Old 02-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Advanced

VTEC=happiness said...
The initial application of the stuff takes about 3 or 4 hours, but that long process is only done every once in a great while
How often is "once in a great while"? Once a year or so?

By the way, by no means did I want to slam a product: Zaino might be the ticket for me, if I can get the effort down to my "lazy" levels. Nor do I mean to denegrate people who *do* put in several hours a week on their cars: I salute them, but that's not realistic for me.

Zaino...its a multi-layer wax finish, correct? My impression of wax is that its labour intensive. In the Zaino Reality thread, some folks talked about using a polymer base coat product like Nu-Finish or Meguiar's Gold Class (?), then finishing with Zaino Z6 (?). Something like that might work better for my lifestyle, particularly if the Z6 coating is quick and "easy" to apply.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Re: Questions re: low maintenance/cost finish

Originally posted by kadams64

My normal routine: once every two weeks to a month, I go to one of those drive in "wand wash" bays, where you plug the machine and get high pressure water/soap/wax/magical finish protector, depending on how you set the switch. Each such wash costs me about $12 (Canadian), mainly because I spend a fair amount of time trying to get everything clean

My objective: A good quality, low maintenance finish that will protect the underlying paint and make it look good. I don't know wax from polymer, and don't want to get a degree in paint surface chemistry.

From the Zaino thread, I see a lot of folks who must spend five or six hours every two or three weeks with fancy magical cleaning solutions and multi-layer waxes and finishes that must cost an absolute fortune.
I just bought the Mr. Clean Car Wash system and damn it works good, with Zaino Z7 car was of course. Basically the best thing is the water filter that gives you a spot free rinse at home. I'll post a thread about my experience.

As far as five to six hours a week on Zaino, that is insane. Sure, the first application is a bit tedious, but as far as time goes, I didn't even wash it this weekend. I sprayed some Z6 on a towel and touched up the finish in a few places and it looks great!!!
Old 02-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kadams64

You might want to check out Meguiars NXT tech wax at:

http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/techwax.cfm

Check out the video. It's pretty simple to do and take ~ 15 min according to the commercial. You probably archieve almost similar result (not as good as Zaino in my opinion), but it saves your time, your money, and your effort.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Advanced

Thanks!

It sounds to me like the work part of these "special" finishes isn't quite as bad as I thought. Thanks, everyone, for the feedback (although more thoughts and opinions are welcome!)

It looks like I can get Meguiars through Canadian Tire here in Canada. Are Zaino's products only available through their website, or do they sell their product through retailers as well?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:05 AM
Instructor

I believe Zaino only available through Web site, but I could be wrong.

If you have not notice Zaino Canada website, here is the link:

http://www.zaino.ca

You might want to call and check with them if they got their products sell by retailers or if you can pick up from their store if you are close

Hope that helps
Old 03-01-2004, 03:43 AM
Drifting

Forget that $300 dealer thing. In most cases, the wax(polymer) things that the dealer sells even with their so-called lifetime warranty are just a profit center for the dealer trying to make a few extra dollars on the sale. You could take that $300 dollars, and spend it having a professional do the Zaino treatment for you, then you could "touch it up" every few months and you will be way ahead of the game. I don't have any personal experience with Zaino, but I just ordered their starter kit, and plan to apply it myself when my '04 TL arrives next week. In the past, I have used Sovereign Pinnacle wax with excellent results. Usually, I waxed the car each season, summer&winter, and have always had people remark how nice my paint looks. The key to keeping the car looking good is to wash it as often as possible, and not use those horrid "automatic" car washes. The brushes just destroy the finish. Get a bucket, and some good wash mits, and wash it yourself, and dry with clean towels or chamois.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Advanced

Car wash...

JetJock said...
Forget that $300 dealer thing...
The key to keeping the car looking good is to wash it as often as possible, and not use those horrid "automatic" car washes.
Good comments, Jet. My main reason for getting the dealer coating, and I'm not claiming its necessarily smart, is to get the finish guarantee. Basically, if the finish fades or cracks, supposedly its covered.

Regarding the car wash...I wash my car in a wand wash. Not one of those "rotating brush drive through" things, but basically a bay with a pressure washer. From what I'm hearing here, I think I'm going to lay off the coatings and waxes offered in the coin op pressure wash thing, and do my coatings myself (Meguiars and/or Zainos).

Sonic said...
If you have not notice Zaino Canada website, here is the link:
No, I didn't notice that site: thanks Sonic!

Kelly
Old 03-01-2004, 09:45 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by kadams64

How often is "once in a great while"? Once a year or so?

Zaino...its a multi-layer wax finish, correct? My impression of wax is that its labour intensive. In the Zaino Reality thread, some folks talked about using a polymer base coat product like Nu-Finish or Meguiar's Gold Class (?), then finishing with Zaino Z6 (?). Something like that might work better for my lifestyle, particularly if the Z6 coating is quick and "easy" to apply.
A little late with my reply, I apologize... I will likely apply the actual full Zaino treatment once every 6 months or so. Zaino is not a wax, but a polish. This is a nice thing because it can get onto the rubber moldings and other parts without ever having the white film that is left over by waxes. I washed my car yesterday (two moths after applying Zaino), finished off with the Z6 and it looks incredible.

As far as using Z6 with Meguiars, apparently the Zaino formulas are made to complement each other, so I have heard that applying Z6 over other products does not work.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Advanced

As far as using Z6 with Meguiars, apparently the Zaino formulas are made to complement each other, so I have heard that applying Z6 over other products does not work.
That sort of makes sense to me, although some folks in the Zaino Reality thread seem to think otherwise. I have a little while yet before my car shows up, so I'll continue pondering my options until then. I'm feeling a little less intimidated by some of the "fancy" finish treatments than I was, though- thanks, folks!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Instructor

VTEC=happiness,

Could ya post a pic of your car with Zaino? I want to see how Zaino looks on WDP since a friend of mine have an interest in WDP. Thanks.