Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on cam and crank seal DIY replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 02:07 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Questions on cam and crank seal DIY replacement

I replaced the timing belt, water pump and a couple idler pulleys when I did the 105k maintenance. I didnt know any better at that time and didnt replace the crankshaft seal or the camshaft seals even though they were included with my kit because the DIY video I watched didnt include instructions for replacing them and I wasn't confident. Now at 130k miles and the crank seal is definitely leaking so I'm looking to replace all 3 seals I mentioned plus the hydraulic tensioner since it wasn't done last time. The crank seal seems simple and I found a Youtube video on removing it but my concern is the 2 cam seals. These may seem like silly questions but itll be the difference between me taking care of it myself or paying someone to do it. For one how do you keep the cam sprockets from spinning when you are attempting to remove them to access the seal? Secondly how difficult is it to remove the old seal and to properly install the new one? Does it require advanced tools or can I make due with tapping it in with a socket? Is there enough room to work it out and tap the new one in? And although ive done the belt before and am familiar with making my marks for time alignment I obviously never had to remove cam sprockets just to do the belt so I'm wondering if this adds any additional precautions that need to be taken. Once the sprocket comes off can it only be installed back on in one position or could I actually completely screw things up by putting it on crooked? Can the actual shaft move once the sprocket is off? I would hate to wreck my engine over this. If I can't do it ill pay someone but I always try my resources first and ive been able to tackle everything the car has thrown me this far. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
You should try searching this by looking at all other J-series engines like Odyssey, MDX, RL. This is how I found this info to do the same job on my 07 Accord V6. Below link is an Odyssey guy who did this job. You will need a cam gear pulley holder and a seal puller. The installation device can be home made out of PVC pipes plus a few washers. I have not done the job myself but am prepping for it also.

Tips: Replacing Cam & Crankshaft Seals
Old 11-09-2020, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by marxw13
I replaced the timing belt, water pump and a couple idler pulleys when I did the 105k maintenance. I didnt know any better at that time and didnt replace the crankshaft seal or the camshaft seals even though they were included with my kit because the DIY video I watched didnt include instructions for replacing them and I wasn't confident. Now at 130k miles and the crank seal is definitely leaking so I'm looking to replace all 3 seals I mentioned plus the hydraulic tensioner since it wasn't done last time. The crank seal seems simple and I found a Youtube video on removing it but my concern is the 2 cam seals. These may seem like silly questions but itll be the difference between me taking care of it myself or paying someone to do it. For one how do you keep the cam sprockets from spinning when you are attempting to remove them to access the seal? Secondly how difficult is it to remove the old seal and to properly install the new one? Does it require advanced tools or can I make due with tapping it in with a socket? Is there enough room to work it out and tap the new one in? And although ive done the belt before and am familiar with making my marks for time alignment I obviously never had to remove cam sprockets just to do the belt so I'm wondering if this adds any additional precautions that need to be taken. Once the sprocket comes off can it only be installed back on in one position or could I actually completely screw things up by putting it on crooked? Can the actual shaft move once the sprocket is off? I would hate to wreck my engine over this. If I can't do it ill pay someone but I always try my resources first and ive been able to tackle everything the car has thrown me this far. Thanks in advance.
Were you able to do this yourself? How did it go. 3 yrs later and word for word I'm having the same dilemma as you.