3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding in-line load resistors..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Question regarding in-line load resistors..

Ok so let me explain why I did this.

A few months back I purchased a "iJDMtoy DRL harness with load resistors" to use for my LED daytime running lights. The load resistors are there to prevent the orange "DRL" light from coming on in the dash.

I used the iJDMtoy harness for several months and started having problems with it. My daytime running lights would work when they want to. After doing some troubleshooting I thought it might be the relay. When I would physically tap the relay or bump it, the DRL would power. Bump it again and they will turn off. I purchased a new relay and plugged it in and still had the same problem. Relay wasn't the problem.

So after doing some reading it turns out that the harness is at fault because it's cheap and many people have problems with it. So I purchased a 9005 relay harness from VLEDs.

Today I installed it and got it to work, however the in-line load resistor on my passenger side is still plugged into the factory harness without a bulb connected at the other end. I'm using the drivers side in-line load resistor with my new VLEDs 9005 harness. When I tried to remove the in-line load resistor I would get a "DRL" light on my dash and my LEDs would not light up. In order for my LEDs to work and not have a "DRL" light on my dash it required me to leave the in-line load resistor installed on the passenger side WITHOUT A BULB CONNECTED TO IT.

The problem I have is I'm afraid the in-line load resistor will get severely hot and probably do some damage because there's no actual load for it. When the in-line load resistor was used correctly a bulb would connect to the in-line load resistor and the bulb would get grounded by a separate wire.

Here's my in-line load resistor as of right now... One end is plugged into the factory harness, the other end is just taped off because I'm not using it. Should I be concerned?

BLUE CONNECTOR = FACTORY DRL HARNESS

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 08-26-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

I am afraid that current will constantly flow through the in-line load resistor (when daytime running lights are activated) and continue to build up heat and do some damage to the electrical circuit some how.

The reason I assume this is because a bulb is not connected to the other end of the resistor to consume some of the load and ground the circuit. The way it sits right now it's constantly getting power, but all that power isn't getting consumed by a bulb or getting grounded off anywhere so it may continue to produce massive heat and/or strain on the electrical system and cause something to melt...

What do you guys recommend me doing??
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Should I cut the black ground wire that is going to the taped off connector and ground it to the chassis?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
I understand your post fully, and I can say with certainty that your wiring will be fine. Remember the load resistor is wired in parallel to the harness, and so is the taped off connector. So it doesn't matter what on the other end of the taped off connector. The resistor was get very hot as it always does, but do not worry about it, it's perfectly normal. A lot of harnesses are designed like the vleds one in that it only takes the signal from one side and gives power to both side LEDs, therefore one factory connector always stays unplugged.

I'm still surprised you said the ijdmtoy harness went bad, as its simply wires going to a relay. Besides the relay there's no moving parts that can wear out over time.
The following users liked this post:
vietxquangstah (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
I am afraid that current will constantly flow through the in-line load resistor (when daytime running lights are activated) and continue to build up heat and do some damage to the electrical circuit some how.

The reason I assume this is because a bulb is not connected to the other end of the resistor to consume some of the load and ground the circuit. The way it sits right now it's constantly getting power, but all that power isn't getting consumed by a bulb or getting grounded off anywhere so it may continue to produce massive heat and/or strain on the electrical system and cause something to melt...
Incorrect assumption. The load resistor simply takes place of the halogen oem bulb, that's it simple as that, having an led there would not make any difference as they are wired in parallel.

What a lot of people don't understand is how a circuit works. The connector doesn't "give" power out, it is simply 2 wires with different voltages. The bulb you put in simply finishes the connection. The power goes from high potential(+) to low potential(-)
The following users liked this post:
vietxquangstah (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

paperboy comes to save the day. I'm so glad you fully understood what I was talking about. Thanks for the reassurance!

and as far as the ijdmtoy harness being bad, I only assumee that because I already tried replacing the actual relay with a brand new one and would still have to tap the relay for it to power the LED bulbs. quite a few members also said its the actual wiring harness at fault.

Its very possible that I had a bad connection somewhere, but with my new vleds harness everything works perfectly fine everytime and I tested it about 10 times.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:47 PM

well, i guess its possible one of the crimps on the wires came loose, anyways good to hear you got it working now.