Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Tranny!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:11 AM
drug dealer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Question about Tranny!

I have read numerous posts here about tranny problems in the past makes of the TL especially the 00 and 01's. Now here is what happened to me, I was driving to the dealer to complain about the flatspotting and half way there the green dot that indicates if you are in park, reverse etc which was in drive started blinking while i am doing 60 mph and stayed blinking but when i turned the engine off it and started again it was not blinking anymore and everything was normal. Now today i opened my window since it was warm outside well high 50's(you know its been a long winter when 50's seem warm)AND when i change the gears from Park to reverse to neutral to drive and back i hear a distinct click of the shifting gears from the underbody of the car. Is this normal?????? Does everyone have this??? I didnt notice anything like this in my other cars but i am also a novice when it comes to cars. Someone please tell me that this is normal!!! I know i am going to have nightmares about this :banghead: any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

Could you describe it clearly?

Gear inidcator flashing: My 94 Legend has this similar problem once, the dealer said it's caused by failed sensor in my tranny.

distinct click noise from tranny while switching from P to R to N to D: FWD tranny used to make noise like that, you could hear noise when moving it. Usually, shifting btwn R and P (or N) could be very loud, too. My Legend has noise like this too...
Old 04-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dshahs
I have read numerous posts here about tranny problems in the past makes of the TL especially the 00 and 01's. Now here is what happened to me, I was driving to the dealer to complain about the flatspotting and half way there the green dot that indicates if you are in park, reverse etc which was in drive started blinking while i am doing 60 mph and stayed blinking but when i turned the engine off it and started again it was not blinking anymore and everything was normal. Now today i opened my window since it was warm outside well high 50's(you know its been a long winter when 50's seem warm)AND when i change the gears from Park to reverse to neutral to drive and back i hear a distinct click of the shifting gears from the underbody of the car. Is this normal?????? Does everyone have this??? I didnt notice anything like this in my other cars but i am also a novice when it comes to cars. Someone please tell me that this is normal!!! I know i am going to have nightmares about this :banghead: any help will be appreciated.
Dont have the blinking light problem but I do hear a distinct creaking sound when the car is in forward motion after I shift from reverse to drive. At first I thought it was the door automatically locking but it is coming from underneath the car. I too am wondering if this is normal. Are any getting a slight vibration on the steering wheel even when idling (when engine is cold and warm)?

Thx
Old 04-11-2004, 05:45 AM
2nd Gear

I noticed that everytime that I reverse out of my driveway from the car being parked overnight, then shift from reverse into drive and start rolling slowly, I hear a single low sounding "thunk" kind of noise coming from under the car. I too thought it was the doors auto-locking but it wasn't. Is this the torque converter engaging? Other than the sound, the tranny seems OK the rest of the time. I may have heard it also when the car was warmed up but can't exactly be sure of that.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
I believe that there are a number of posts indicating this noise is caused by the ABS self check. If I remember the posts correctly, this happens once after the car is put into gear. You might want to do a search on ABS to get more details. I haven't noticed this sound in my car yet.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Question

I have the same sound everytime i shift into 1st gear in my manual transmission... Is this normal in MT also or what?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Angry

Does anyone else have this issue in MT or no??? Am I the only one???
Old 04-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

I hear the noise you're describing in my 6MT, as well. It happens every time so ABS auto-cal sounds reasonable to me.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:38 PM
drug dealer

Angry this is what i read in the owners manual

i was reading the owners manual to check this and the owner manual i think page 180 says that if the gear engaged light(green light in the dash) is blinking at any time when driving, you should take it to the dealer because it could possibly be a tranny problem. :banghead: when you first turn the key to the II position the green light next to D in the dash flashes and is normal. Well i guess someone is going to get an earful tomorrow. 400miles and tranny problems? hmmm willl seeeeee. thanx.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Unhappy

dshahs, please keep us updated, thanks. I hope it's not tranny, but just a small sensor... :o
Old 04-12-2004, 08:32 PM
drug dealer

hey rets, you were right it was a sensor, i have the auto with sportstick and i was playing with the car and i guess i had it engaged it in 3rd and the computer didnt like the fact that it was in 3rd when it should have been in the 4th and thats why the green light started blinking!!!! What a relief! Now only if the rattles were that simple, i feel like getting a can of liquid foam and just foam every single open space!!!!!!!aargh.
STILL LOVE THE CAR.
DEVEN
Old 04-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Smile

Great to know it's not the serious issue... Be well.