Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Rain X

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:33 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Rain X

I did a search for Rain X and it seems people are divided on the product. The pros are that it works well, and the cons are wiper chatter and hazing.

Does anyone know of a product that is similar to Rain X, but doesn't cause the chatter or hazing?

I've been noticing something really strange on my windshield lately - it seems like when the rain hits it, the water doesn't move at all... even if I'm driving at highway speeds. This greatly hinders my visibility in rain, and it sure does rain a lot here in Vancouver! I'm not sure what's going on, as I've never experienced this in any car before. I'm guessing that something like Rain X would work wonders for me.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I've never had issues with wiper chatter or hazing. If it hazes, you didn't buff it off enough. Usually a wet cloth works really well to buff it off and remove any haze.

I actually got the PIAA wipers, and they work awesome. They come with Rain-X, but I didn't use it, but I noticed that the side that I have the PIAA wiper, looks like it coated the windshield with something, becuase the water blows right off on that side, just as if I used rain-x, but the other wiper doesn't. (I had to buy two diferent brands, becaues they were out-of-stock for the passenger size)

The only real con I can see with Rain-X, (not sure if true, but sounds believable I guess), is that the window repair place told be that since Rain-X fills in all the pores on your glass (that's how it works), it makes rock-chip repair impossible because there isn't anything for the resin to bond to.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I bought bottle of rain-x on clearance at the end of summer.

I used it couple times and I could not tell if it's wokring because I haven't got heavy rain in Calgary. Rain-X doens't make difference in snow.

However I did not notice any problem with wipers neither. Hazing needs extra buffing it takes some time to apply it evenly and clearly.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by avs007
The only real con I can see with Rain-X, (not sure if true, but sounds believable I guess), is that the window repair place told be that since Rain-X fills in all the pores on your glass (that's how it works), it makes rock-chip repair impossible because there isn't anything for the resin to bond to.
Thats interesting. I thought RainX was a kind of wax; you'd think if you needed to get it off you could use something that would dissolve the wax and clean it out of the pours. Now I wonder...

I personally love RainX; on glass thats been properly RainX'd, theres no haze, and at highway speeds on a wet day I dont even need to use my wipers. Well, until I come up behind another car and their trail hits me. RainX doesn't seem to help as much with that.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Pika817
I did a search for Rain X and it seems people are divided on the product. The pros are that it works well, and the cons are wiper chatter and hazing.

Does anyone know of a product that is similar to Rain X, but doesn't cause the chatter or hazing?

I've been noticing something really strange on my windshield lately - it seems like when the rain hits it, the water doesn't move at all... even if I'm driving at highway speeds. This greatly hinders my visibility in rain, and it sure does rain a lot here in Vancouver! I'm not sure what's going on, as I've never experienced this in any car before. I'm guessing that something like Rain X would work wonders for me.
Ive been using rain x for years. Its great stuff. If your experiencing chatter or something id look at your wipers. If you have hazing id reapply and make sure that you wipe it very clean avterwards. Ive never had a problem. Also if the water isnt moving any more its time to reapply. You need to do it often
Old 01-19-2007, 02:10 PM
The closet is for wimps

Originally Posted by avs007
I actually got the PIAA wipers, and they work awesome. They come with Rain-X, but I didn't use it, but I noticed that the side that I have the PIAA wiper, looks like it coated the windshield with something, becuase the water blows right off on that side, just as if I used rain-x, but the other wiper doesn't. (I had to buy two diferent brands, becaues they were out-of-stock for the passenger size)
Quite true. The PIAA wipers.. combined with the windshield prep pack they come with.. create a nearly permanent Rain-X effect.. without reapplying anything.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Advanced

I experienced the chatter and hazing from Rain-X. I swithc to a product called AQUAPEL made by PPG. I've gona 6 months without any problems. Tirerack.com seels it as well as a few online shops. May want to look into it.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Racer

I've used Rain-x for years... A couple a things I've noted.

1. To apply it... I just rub it right into the dirty window, then I wash the car, no streaks and the haze comes off.

2. Sweeping the windshield with the wipers in certain barometric conditions causes the wipers to sweep and leave a haze trail... I think this is more a function of the different temperatures on either side of the windshield.

3. I try to never use my wipers... Provided the car is moving, there's usually no need as the wind blows the water right off. (As the application of Rain-x ages, there appears to be more chatter) But I try not to use them anyway, so no chatter.

4. A windshield without rain-x or similar product, I simply refuse to drive... I've actually applied the stuff to loaner/rental cars

5. I never put the stuff on the door windows (especially the front drivers window) because sometimes I may roll down or crack the window... If the car is moving the wind pushes the water up the window and all over my arm/window switches.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Instructor

I always got a haze from rain x. Switched to Simoniz Vision Clear and absolutly love it. Doesn't last as long, but there is no hazeing or chatter and there is nothing to worry about if you get it on any plastic or rubber moldings. Only problem is at this time it is only available at car washes.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
here are 3 things I do with my wiper/windshield.

1. use rubbing alcohol to clean the wipers.
2. use rain-x on all exterior glass.
3. wait until it haze, then use stoner's invisible glass cleaner to remove the haze.

no wiper chatter, and rain-x w/o haze!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Drifting

I put rain-x on my shower-glass in my master-bath. Works wonders to prevent water spots....
Old 01-19-2007, 07:37 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Two more questions:

1. What's the best way to apply it, given that I have no access to an outdoor hose? (Temerature is too cold for that). And.. the directions on the bottle are not very detailed. Should I clean the window with a cleaner first, wipe it dry, apply the product, allow to dry, then buff like mad? Or is there a better way to do this?

2. If it does cause chatter and hazing, etc, what is the best way to remove the product from the windshield?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pika817
Two more questions:

1. What's the best way to apply it, given that I have no access to an outdoor hose? (Temerature is too cold for that). And.. the directions on the bottle are not very detailed. Should I clean the window with a cleaner first, wipe it dry, apply the product, allow to dry, then buff like mad? Or is there a better way to do this?

2. If it does cause chatter and hazing, etc, what is the best way to remove the product from the windshield?
1. So you never wash your car... Do it before you run through the car wash.

2. I don't think you can get it off, read the bottle... It will wear out or you'll try something different or it'll work great for you.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've used the product for a long time now and it works just fine. As those stated earlier a little elbow grease is needed to get rid of the haze. Also apply a small amount as you don't need much to get the full benefit of the product.

On my Xterra I have used PIAA wipers for over four years and they still work just fine along with RainX. The PIAA wipers work excellent as I can't even recall when I had to reapply RainX on the windshield.

However, I'm due for a new set of PIAA wipers, as the wiper frame is rusting now. If you over spray and need to remove some of the product I would use original windex. That has worked for me in the past.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Just another lurker...

Originally Posted by Jotas
I've used the product for a long time now and it works just fine. As those stated earlier a little elbow grease is needed to get rid of the haze. Also apply a small amount as you don't need much to get the full benefit of the product.
+1

Also, just grab a bunch of cheapy paper towels from the nearest public restroom (or better yet grab some of the leftover (not used) coffee filters from your office if you work in one) and use a fresh one (each side) after 8-10 strokes. I've applied it to my windshield (hopefully to be replaced by a TL soon) both clean and dirty and it works the same for me.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Drifting

If you use a damp paper-towel to buff off the Rain-X, you don't need any elbow-grease at all. It will remove all the haze pretty easily... You just need to make sure you let the Rain-X dry thoroughly on the glass before you buff it off.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I clean the entire windshield with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to remove any wax, sap or other buildup

Apply rainx as described by others above
Allow to dry on window- time to haze, and a little spray bottle of water with the buffing will work wonders

Many use carnuba car wax on the windows with good results too
Old 01-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Team Owner

And of course, many votes by members here for the new(ish) Bosch ICON wiper blades. Cant beat em

As their ad says

Only MOM hugs you tighter
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ye i work at Sunoco and we only sell Rain X windshield wiper fluids and to me it seems like its working much better then the other products...when you spray RainX it doesnt get splashed all over your windshield which i think is a good thing cause it allows you see more clearly for lil longer..and now they even have RainX-De Icer for the winter which is just great.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:16 AM
The closet is for wimps

Originally Posted by Jotas
However, I'm due for a new set of PIAA wipers, as the wiper frame is rusting now. If you over spray and need to remove some of the product I would use original windex. That has worked for me in the past.
I've found that the PIAA wipers with the carbon finish take a lot longer time to rust than the plain black finish ones. My old car.. 2000 Intrepid.. had one of each on (they sent a carbon finish blade by mistake). I didn't much care, so I put them both on. The black finish blade was starting to rust and the carbon finish blade looked brand new.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Racer

Rain-X comes in two forms, the old alcohol "wax" formula and windshield washer fluid. I have been using the windshield wash formula (<$3/gal) for more than 2 years with excellent results. I had been using the "wax-on" stuff for years, but no longer need too. It still works fine when dilluted maybe 50% with $.99/gal blue windshield wash stuff (sometimes free promotion at local auto parts store).

The TL factory wipers do not chatter with Rain-X. I experienced Rain-X chatter with an Audi and heavy duty aftermarket blades. The Audi factory blades did not chatter.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:36 AM
Team Owner

A look at the Bosch ICON blades and you will have your solution to rusting metal parts and never go back to another brand. Ask any of the converts on this board

Bosch got inventive and put all the metal spring parts INSIDE the rubber blade itself, and the plastic attachment point to the wiper arm also has a plastic cover on it. There is nothing exposed to the elements and the blades have a built in spoiler that keeps them flat on the glass. I tried the leaf blower and the blades just stuck and wiped no prob!

see the bosch.com site for pics and info if you dont believe
Old 01-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
A look at the Bosch ICON blades and you will have your solution to rusting metal parts and never go back to another brand. Ask any of the converts on this board

Bosch got inventive and put all the metal spring parts INSIDE the rubber blade itself, and the plastic attachment point to the wiper arm also has a plastic cover on it. There is nothing exposed to the elements and the blades have a built in spoiler that keeps them flat on the glass. I tried the leaf blower and the blades just stuck and wiped no prob!

see the bosch.com site for pics and info if you dont believe
I guess... But in my experience (and I used bosch blades before), you'll have to replace the blades before it starts rusting. At least around here, where we actually have to use our wipers Normally I have to replace the wipers after about 1.5 to 2 years, depending on the brand. Crappier brands last about a year, better brands last closer to 2.

I haven't seen any wipers rust, unless they were over 2 years old.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

Rain-X is awesome!!

Here are a few of my tricks (most if not all have already been mentioned).

One way:

Wash your car. After you are finished with the rinse cycle, apply Rain-X using one of those wax applicators to all exterior windows. Let dry to a haze. THEN, rinse the windows and you are finished.

Second way:

If not washing your car, then clean the window(s) first with your favorite cleaner. Apply Rain-X as stated above and let dry to a haze. Next, get a nice terry cloth towel/rag and get it wet with HOT water. Ring it out to become a damp warm cloth. Wipe off the window. The buff as needed. Voilà, you are finished.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Instructor

I just added the Rain-X additive to the windshield washer fluid.

When I first put it in I cleaned (with the nozzles) the windshield a couple of times. Now every once and while I use the nozzles to clean the windshield and it seals it up well.

This works "almost" as well as hand applying the other mixture (which I believe is more concentrate). But the windshield washer method is quicker and easier IMO.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mu1980
I've found that the PIAA wipers with the carbon finish take a lot longer time to rust than the plain black finish ones. My old car.. 2000 Intrepid.. had one of each on (they sent a carbon finish blade by mistake). I didn't much care, so I put them both on. The black finish blade was starting to rust and the carbon finish blade looked brand new.
The PIAA wipers I'm using our over four years old going onto five. I'm curious to find out how long you had your carbon fiber alongside the regular black one which is what I have.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
The closet is for wimps

I'd say it was a couple years that I had them both on the car.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 AM
07 NBP TL-S

UPDATE:

So I finally got the courage to apply Rain-X on the car. I cleaned all the windows with a window cleaner, buffed till there were no streaks, applied Rain-X with a microfiber towel using small circles, allowed to haze, reapplied, used paper towels and hot water to buff off.

I went out in the rain today to see how this stuff works. Well, it works great, but.....I get wiper chatter and hazing!!! It's the most annoying thing in the world to me!! Would buffing the windshield more help with the haze/chatter?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I think if you're experiencing hazing, buff it out some more. Maybe you put on too much of it.

I applied Rain-X for the first time this weekend and I'm very happy with the results. I was driving in the rain on the freeway at night time and I could barely tell it was raining at all.

I have yet to turn on the wipers so I haven't been able to test for chatter/noise.

So far, I am very happy with the product and I will apply it onto all my windows!