3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about NON-navi models...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 03:26 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about NON-navi models...

I am seriously considering purchasing a TL and I am hung up on the navigation option. I already have a cell phone with full GPS navigation w/voice command. So I am hesitant on forking over an additional 2G's for something I already have.

My question -

If I opt to go without the navi, does the car still come with the cool 8" screen for the radio/CD controls or is it replaced with something else?

THANKS
Old 02-12-2004, 03:42 PM
GregS

Cool

NAZGUL,

The short answer to your question is no. However, unlike the older TL's the Center Stack is not reconfigured for lack of the Navi.

Rather, in place of the color screen with all the cool options, their is a split monochrome screen (white on Grey/Blue) with large LED displays for Climate Control, Radio/XM/DVD Audio. The upper screen is for the Climate Control, and the lower portion is for everything else. Also, unlike the NAVI screen, it is not a touch screen, nor does it have the voice command capability (there is voice control for the Hands Free Link, though). All the functions are controlled from either the Steering Wheel or the controls on the center stack.

If you click on this link, it will take you to Edmunds.com, where there are photos of the non-NAVI screen.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/acur...ader..2.Acura*

For me, the non-Navi was the right choice. I could not justify the extra $2K for the Navi, given that I really did not have a need for it. (I had it in my 01 TL, and hardly used it).

Bottom line - if you think you will use it regularly, than go for it. If not, save the $2K and invest in other add-ons, like replacing the crappy OEM Bridgestone Tires - but that is a subject for another discussion.

Regards,

Greg S.
2004 TL, Redondo Red/Parchment
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires
Deck Lid Spoiler
Mud Guards
Wheel Locks
Body Side Molding
Old 02-12-2004, 04:25 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the great INFO! I guess I can live without navigation system.

Although I really am diggin on the 8" screen with the cool XM/CD interface, It's just not worth the extra $2000 to my wif...umm, I mean me.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Question about NON-navi models...

Originally posted by NAZGUL

If I opt to go without the navi, does the car still come with the cool 8" screen for the radio/CD controls or is it replaced with something else?

THANKS

NO...

If you have portable GPS, it's fine for you... as long as you like this 04TL.

However, I'd think it's all about $$$. If you have extra $$$ to spend, Navi has good feature and good looking, plus the good capability of installing the rear-end camera/screen.

Although I have no expanding plans to this screen now, I don't mind I pay MSRP to get this 04TL Navi...
Old 02-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Another point to consider, the option in reality is more than $2k... Given the high demand / low supply of cars with navi, you have far greater bargaining power for non-navi.

When I bought mine for 34,300 with navi at the end of december, the non-navi probably went for around $31.5...

So, unless Acura significantly increase the volume of cars with navi, the option will likely be in the range of $3000.

I love the navigation, it's peace of mind knowing I'll never get lost. Also, as you have pointed out, the XM/CD interface is much better.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:59 PM
GregS

JTruman,

Sounds like you got a good deal at $34,300! The dealers in the SF Bay area I shopped at were selling at MSRP. They would not budge on the price. The same was true when I bought my '01 TL.

You are right relative to the availability of Navi equipped TL's. If a dealer is going to discount from MSRP, they will more than likely do much better on the non-Navi model, since the Navi models are harder to get (at least that's what the dealers are telling customers).

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Greg S.
2004 TL, Redondo Red/Parchment
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires
Deck Lid Spoiler
Mud Guards
Wheel Locks
Body Side Molding
Old 02-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Try to check out more dealers. More and more dealers start to sell $500-1500 off MSRP now... although Navi is still rare and hot.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you had Navi, and decided this time you didn't use it enough, thats works for me!

Mike Smeezy
Old 02-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Question about NON-navi models...

Originally posted by NAZGUL
I already have a cell phone with full GPS navigation w/voice command.
Your yankin' our chain, right? A cell phone with Voice Command Navi?

I'm assuming by saying "Voice Command", you mean that the Navi gives audible directions, not you telling the Navi what to do.

If you aren't yankin' our chain and you use your Navi often enough, here's two big things to consider that influenced my decision to buy the TL with Navi:

(1) The TL Navi is integrated with the car's audio system, so the audible directions are clear and easy to understand - especially since the stereo's audio is reduced during the audible directions. I always had problems understanding the audible directions that came from the tiny little speaker on my PDA, especially with traffic noise.

(2) The TL Navi accepts Voice Control, where you speak commands to the Navi system. This is important for the Navi function, since you spend less time hunting where to press on the display to accept commands - you spend more time focused on the road, and less time on providing input to the Navi (as it should be). All the other Navi systems that I saw took too much of the driver's time to operate, which makes driving more hazardous.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GotJazz,

Is that a photo of yourself?

Mike Smeezy,