3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulls to the left - out of line or nature of FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 12:06 PM
Net Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulls to the left - out of line or nature of FWD?

Hey guys,
I recently bought an 04 TL and it made it first road trip last week. Well I noticed that when I let loose of the wheel on the interstate, it pulls pretty significantly to the left. I know this may be a dumb question, but is this just a characteristic of FWD cars (as this is my first FWD car and am not familiair with their nature/tendencies), or could this new car already need an wheel alignment? I'm sure Acura would cover it, but where I'm at now I'll have to drive another 450 miles to get it aligned anyway. Thanks for any imput

Pulling down and to the left......

Burr
Old 12-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Advanced

It could be a lot of things...

Does it always pull to the left no matter what road you are on?

It can be the tire itself or the crown of the road. If it always pulls to the left, I would suggest changing the rear driver side to the front driver side and try again. If it still pulls regardless of road, then It is likely the alignment. If it stop pulls, it's the tire.

If it only pulls on certain roads and not others, then it's just the road surface. Wide(r) tires tend to like to follow the road more.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:25 PM
Net Ninja

It does this on pretty much every road I've been on, more significantly on the interstate at higher speeds and I've checked the air pressure on the tires - still it pulls. I just hate having to consider that my brand new car already needs an alignment, but I guess it could be worse......

Burr
Old 12-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Does it do it when you accelerate?
If it does only does it while under acceleration, it may just be torque steering.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Burr
It does this on pretty much every road I've been on, more significantly on the interstate at higher speeds and I've checked the air pressure on the tires - still it pulls. I just hate having to consider that my brand new car already needs an alignment, but I guess it could be worse......

Burr
Have the same problem. Dealer aligned the car (it has pretty mis-aligned).

Still pulls to the left on all road types. Basically, alignment didn't solve the problem. Let us know if alignment solves yours.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro

It definately sounds like an alignment issue.

Since the car is so new I am sure that the dealer would do it for free. Let us know what happens.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Net Ninja

rkilian,
It does do that when I accelerate which I assumed was like you said torque steering, but when I'm on cruise control at 70 mph on the highway and I take my hand off the wheel it still fades to the left - probably misaligned.....

fsconsult,
Sorry to hear the alignment didn't solve your problem. I'll be back to where I can get the dealer to align it sometime after x-mas, will let you know if this helps.

Formula 350,
Will do. I hope it fixes the problem. It's not too bad, just annoying.

However, it's still a d@mn fast car and 'funner 'n hell' (sorry thats the Mississippi comin' out in me!) to drive, left-fading or not! LOL!

Burr
Old 12-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Racer

My TL goes perfectly straight, and seems to be only slightly affected by the slope or crown of the road.

1. Check Alignment
2. Check tire pressures - MAYBE there is a soft one on the left.

It is not a big deal at this point - there are a lot of ways the alignment could get off while shipping and moving the car around.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Net Ninja

Originally posted by automophile
My TL goes perfectly straight, and seems to be only slightly affected by the slope or crown of the road.

1. Check Alignment
2. Check tire pressures - MAYBE there is a soft one on the left.

It is not a big deal at this point - there are a lot of ways the alignment could get off while shipping and moving the car around.
automophile,
I agree. It's not really a big deal, just kinda annoying, I'll recheck the tire pressures and see if that helps, otherwise, I've already got reassurance from my Acura dealer that they'll take care of it. And that makes Burr happy.

P.S. Nice bra by the way, looks sharp on that white!

Burr
Old 12-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The turanzas read the road quite significantly. So they will read the crown or other road grooves. I just switched to snow tires, and the tendency has been eliminated completely.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Advanced

Mine pulls at highway speeds even after alignment by dealership. I don't notice it driving around town. When i brake i notice it more. Does anyone know why this would be?? It really doesn't feel like the alignment did sh*t and i haven't called the dealership back yet...OHHH BUT I WILL!!!! until they fix it right. I paid for a perfect car and i should get one. This should not be happening. We are the ones that will have to suffer when we need to be replacing tires more often then we have to because of manufacture defect or some bullsh*t like that.