Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled Over in 3rd Gen for Tint-Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled Over in 3rd Gen for Tint-Ticketed

Just got pulled over. It was a state cop looking for something to do. I pulled up next to him at a stop light and before I came up to him, I rolled down my front windows. He never asked me to roll my front windows up. He was referring to my rear windows as being too dark. He ticketed me for $105. He did not make me tear it off but said if he sees me again, he will give me another ticket.

What are my options??

Can I fight this in any way? Can I get something that says I have sensitive eyes? ( I know, stretchin it!) or should I keep it on and risk being pulled over again? Should I remove it?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its illegal...so no u can't fight it in court....unless u have medical conditions such as sensative skin....then u can't get that certification...im sure if ur close with ur doctor it wouldn't hurt to try....but some people get pulled over for tints once...and then never again....so its up to u...where do u live BTW?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what % are you at? I got ANOTHER speeding ticket the other night... that makes 4 int he last 2 years or so... I really gotta check out my points at this stage... who do I even call to find out what my record is? The DMV people?

The local road in front of my house is 35 mph. Traffic moves at about 55-60 and it's safe to do at least 70. I was doing 56 this time when I was pulled. Afterwards, I drove the 35 mph and immediately had 6-7 people behind me trying to find a place to pass me.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:21 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Does your state have a law regarding how dark a tint can be on a vehicle? If not, is it up to the cops to determine if your tint is too dark or not?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by tzakiel
what % are you at? I got ANOTHER speeding ticket the other night... that makes 4 int he last 2 years or so... I really gotta check out my points at this stage... who do I even call to find out what my record is? The DMV people?

The local road in front of my house is 35 mph. Traffic moves at about 55-60 and it's safe to do at least 70. I was doing 56 this time when I was pulled. Afterwards, I drove the 35 mph and immediately had 6-7 people behind me trying to find a place to pass me.
lol that sucks man...id watch out...u could be 1 ticket away from having ur license revoked
Old 11-07-2005, 04:27 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by tzakiel
I got ANOTHER speeding ticket the other night... that makes 4 int he last 2 years or so.
Sorry for the temporary thread hijack, but ever since getting back into a manual car, my lead foot has found its way back again. I better take it easy or else I'll get a ticket in over 5 years since the last time.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
アキュラ 力

Do some reasearch on yuur local state law

Originally Posted by coop1018
Just got pulled over. It was a state cop looking for something to do. I pulled up next to him at a stop light and before I came up to him, I rolled down my front windows. He never asked me to roll my front windows up. He was referring to my rear windows as being too dark. He ticketed me for $105. He did not make me tear it off but said if he sees me again, he will give me another ticket.

What are my options??

Can I fight this in any way? Can I get something that says I have sensitive eyes? ( I know, stretchin it!) or should I keep it on and risk being pulled over again? Should I remove it?

I guess the question is: Is your tint actually illegal? I know that when any police had a question about my tint percentage, they actually pulled out their tint testing device to see if their hunch was correct, that is unless it is blatantly obvious that your tint is too dark.

I was pulled over in my mother's SUV back in the day and was given a ticket for having tint that was too dark. After doing research, I found out that in our state, SUV's can have 50% in the front and as dark a tint as the owner wants in the rear, and so the judge threw out my case.

I guess the other question is, if you continually get pulled over, does it actually come to the point where your license will be in jeopardy if you continue to rack up tickets? These are things to think about. I suggest checking out your state's local ordinance to find out exactly what the law states before you make your decision. Best of luck
Old 11-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Everything you ever wanted to know....

dont quote me on these as being current....

Window Tint Laws
Disclaimer: The author is not responsible for any mistakes or misinformation. The user may use the information at their own risk and the writer is not responsible for problems arrising from the use of this document.

WARNING !!!!!
Window Tint reference are for personal use by individuals, tint business, or for educational use. Government officials are prohibited from using this reference related to the enactment of window tint laws or regulations, changing current window tint laws or regulations without EXPRESS permission of the author, Brad Cuppy - Mail me.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!!!
• Film - Amount of light that is required to pass through window film.
Example : 35% Film means that the film must pass through at least 35% visible light.
• Net - Amount of light that is required to pass both the car window and the tint film.
• MPV - A vehicle such as a recreation vehicle such as a pickup truck including GMC Suburbans, Nissan Pathfinders, Extra Cab Trucks
• When info is given, it is in the format of :
Windshield / Front Side Windows / Rear Side Windows / Rear-Back Window / Year Passed
Where :
NO - No Film is Allowed
ANY - Any degree of tinting is allowed
AS-1 - On the windshield, there is a mark that says "AS-1" toward the top that defines that the tint cannot go below.
UnDef - Nothing defined in the law.
FMVSS 205 - A regulation that is found in the Code of Federal Regulation. The regulation is found in 49 CFR 571.205
35 % Film - Light that is measured on the film alone
35 % Net - Light that is measured both through the film and car window

Example

4 inches / 35 % Film / 15 % Net / 5 % Net / 1994

A tint brow on the windshield cannot go no lower than 4 inches, 35% film may be applied to the front side windows, 15% light must go through the combined window film and windows for the rear side windows and 5 % light transmission is required on the rear back window and film combined. The year 1994 is the year that the law went into effect.

Note : MPV Vehicles are exempt behind the front side doors.

Alaska
5 inches / NO / 40% Net / 40% Net / 1994

Note : MPV Vehicles can have any degree of tinting behind the front side doors so long as they comply with FMVSS 205. Mirrored tint is prohibited.

Enforcement Note : Tint regulation does apply to non-Alaska registered vehicles. State Troopers write fix-it tickets which requires "repair" within 5 days and the City of Anchorage will write $150 tickets for the violation.

Arizona
UnDef / 35% Film / ANY / ANY / 198?

Arkansas
UnDef / 25% Net / 25% Net / 10% Net / 1994

Note : MPV's are allowed 10% Net tint on rear side windows

Enforcement Note : Tint law applies only to AR registered vehicles and vehicles from other states that have NO tint law which is now moot since all 50 states have some type of tint law with Wyoming being the last to pass a tint law.

California
NO / NO / ANY / ANY* / 1987 ?

Note : If the rear-back window is tinted, left and right rear-view mirrors are required.

Medical exemption allows for tint or other shading material is allowed on the front side doors if it allows at least 35% of the light to go through, readily is removable and cannot be used at night.

Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law.

Colorado
2 Phase Law:
4 inches or AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / 1989
4 inches or AS-1 / 27% Net / 27% Net / 27% Net / 1989

Note : No mirrored tint is allowed.

Enforcement Note : The fine for being in violation is $50 and the driver is not usually required to fix the windows. Tint shops are not allowed to tint cars beyond state law. State patrol carries light meters along with some local towns but they don't worry about window tinting unless it is very dark such as limo tint (5%).

Connecticut
Complex / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 1995

Note : MPV Vehicle windows behind the front side doors are exempt so long as they meet FMVSS 205. The Windshield can have a tint strip at the top. The amount is determined by a complex formula as defined in Sec 14-99g, Subsection C, part 11 as written by an East Coast lawyer.

Delaware
AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / 199?

District of Columbia
NO / NO / 50% Net / 50% Net / 1994

Enforcement Note : Can apply to out-of-state motorist, no out-of-state exemption defined in statute.

Florida
AS-1 / 28% Net / 15% Net / 15% Net / 198?

Note : MPV Vehicles windows behind the front side doors must allow for 6 % Net light transmission.

Enforcement Note : Law enforced by the use of light meters and can apply to out-of-state motorist.

Georgia
NO / 32% Net / 32% Net / 32% Net / 1990

Guam
ANY / ANY / ANY / ANY / 1978/9

Note : It was illegal to have tint but the tint law was declared unconstitutional as noted in the court decision part.

Hawaii
NO / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 198x

Enforcement Note : Illegal tint on cars can be a reason to be failed in the state safety inspection.

Idaho
AS-1 / 35% Film / ANY / 35% Film / 1993

Note : Mirrored tint is illegal. Medical exemption ia available. Cars with window tint that are considered illegal can apply for a waiver between June 30, 1992 and Jan 1, 1993.

Illinois
NO / NO / ANY / ANY* / 1984 ?

Note : If window tint is applied to the rear-back window, a right and left rear-view mirrors are required. Cars before 1982 model year are exempt from IL tint law.

Indiana
30% Film / 30% Film / ANY / 30% Film / 1995

Note : Darker tint is allowed for medical reason only as attested to by medical doctor or eye doctor.

Enforcement Note : Out-of-state motorist can be ticketed for being in violation of IN tint law but are usually left alone. Law enforcement usually enforces the tint law on the front side windows. Most law enforcement do not know that the rear-back window is included in the law. Some local towns will fine motorist $200 for violation as well as requiring them to fix it.

Legislation: HB1282 which will basically outlaw window tint. It would ban any tint that would go beyond Federal Standards which is 70% visible light transmission. Violation would fall under an enhanced penalty of a Class B infraction which has a max fine of $1000.

Iowa
AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / Unknown

Note : A pending bill in the legislature would mandate light transmission on all windows of at least 70% (Basically no aftermarket tint allowed). Puts the federal window tint regulation into state law.

Enforcement Note : Iowa is spotty on enforcement but can enforce the law against out-of-state motorist such as writing a fix-it ticket.

Kansas
AS-1 / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 1987

Kentucky
AS-1 / 35% Film / 18% Film / 18% Film / 1988

Note : MPV Vehicles can have 8% Film behind the front side doors.

Louisiana
AS-1 / 40% Net / 25% Net / 12% Net / 199x

Maine
NO / 50% Film / 50% Film / 50% Film / 198x

Enforcement Note : As the law is read, it can be applied to out-of-state cars. A car with tint that is more dark than allowed by the state can fail safety ispection.

Maryland
NO / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 1993

Massachusetts
NO / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net

Enforcement Note : People with 35% tint have been given tickets for tinting due to light meters reading less than 35% since car glass can have from 70% to 90% window tint.

Michigan
4 inches / 4 inches / ANY / ANY / 198x

Note : Changes to the law has been discussed such as allowing for 35% tint on the front side windows but the State Police would push hard for a complete ban on tint if it got through and they have the political power to do it.

Enforcement Note : Michigan State police will give the 3rd degree look to any car that is not in compliance with MI tint law but will usually leave out-of-state motorist alone.

Minnesota
NO / 50% Film / 50% Film / 50% Film / 198x

Note : Darker tint is allowed with Medical Exemption.

Mississippi
AS-1 / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 1989

Enforcement Note : Illegal window tint can be a reason for failing the yearly state safety inspection.

Missouri
AS-1 / 35% Net / Any / Any / 2002

Enforcement Note : New law removed out-of-state exemption but don't know how the MO State Highway Patrol will deal with that ?

Tint is NO LONGER part of the State Safety Inspection, a plus for MO residents.

Additional Note: Took effect Feb 14, 2002. Original law banned tint on the front side windows but allowed anything behind and then changed in 2001 for 35% NET on ALL windows and in 2002 changed to 35% NET on front side windows but once again, anything behind goes !

Montana
AS-1 / 24% Net / 14% Net / 14% Net / 1991

Note : MPV Vehicles windows behind the front doors are exempt from tint law. Cars before Oct 1, 1991 that were registered in Montana and had tint that would be considered illegal under the law can continue to have any kind of window tint but the registration must indicate a tinted window waiver and the waiver can no longer be applied for. Those who have waviers can continue to use them and when the car is sold, the waiver is good for the next owner.

A permit for dark tint can be applied for if needed for security or medical reasons.

Enforcement Note : Montana Law enforcement is lax on enforcing the tint law but there is a heavy fine if enforced and maybe required to be fixed.

Nebraska
AS-1 / 35% Film / 20% Film / 20% Film / 199x

Nevada
AS-1 / 35% Film / ANY / ANY / 1993

Note : There is a medical exemption for the tint law.

Enforcement Note : Tint law does not apply to 1993 or older model cars that had tint applied before July 1, 1993.

New Hampshire
NO / NO / 35% Net / 35% Net / 198x

Enforcement Note : Having illegal tint can mean the failure of the state safety inspection.

New Jersey
NO / NO / ANY / ANY / 198x

Enforcement Note : Illegal window tint can be the reason for failing state safety inspection.

New Mexico
AS-1 / 20% Net / 20-% Net / 20-% Net / 1997

Note : Local law takes precedence over state law. The most liberal tint law in the country. MPV, trucks, buses can have anything behind the front side windows. Tint done before Jul 1, 1997 is exempt from the law.

New York
NO / NO/ NO/ NO / 1993

Note : Very strict law. Replacement glass that is tinted is allowed if and only if the original windows were tinted as well. Medical exemption is provided for with permission from Commisioner of Motor Vehicles.

North Carolina
AS-1 / 32% Net / 32% Net / 32% Net / 1996

Enforcement Note : Illegal tint is a reson to fail state safety inspection. Out-of-state cars must be in compliance with tint law in the state where registered.

North Dakota
AS-1 / NO / ANY* / ANY* / 1989

Note : If windows behind the front side doors are tinted, a right and left outside rear view mirror is required.

Enforcement Note : The tint law may be applied to non-resident cars as written.

Ohio
5 inches / 50% Film / 50% Film / 50% Film / 1987

Note : Director of Ohio DPS determines what degree of tint that is legal on motor vehicles in Ohio. The tint law has been known to be enforced on out-of-state cars in some towns.

Oklahoma
Before 1996 Model Year :
AS-1 or 5 inches / 25% Net / 10% Net* / 10% Net* / 1995

1996 Model Year and after :
AS-1 or 5 inches / 25% Net / 25% Net / 25% Net / 1995

Note : MPV windows behind the front side doors are exempt from the tint law. Outside right and left rear view mirrors are required if tint is darker than 25% net for pre-1996 vehicles. Law enforcement and government owned vehicles are exempt.

Oregon
6 inches / 50% Film & 35% Net / 50% Film & 35% Net / 50% Film & 35% Net / 1996

Note : MPV windows behind the front side doors are exempt as long as they are in compliance with FMVSS 205.

Government and Law Enforcement vehicles are exempt from the tint law. If ordinary people are required to obey this law, it should definitely apply to government and law enforcement vehicles.

Enforcement Note : Tint Law may be applied to out-of-state vehicles.

Pennsylvania
NO / NO / NO / NO / 1996 for 1998 model year and after NO / NO / ANY / ANY before 1998 Model Year

Enforcement Note : Illegal tint on cars can be a reason to be failed in the state safety inspection which was struck down in court.

Rhode Island
NO / NO / NO / NO / 1993

Note : MPV's are exempt on windows behind the front side windows but the windows must comply to FMVSS 205 which is usually 30% VLT.

Government and Law Enforcement vehicles are exempt from the tint law. If ordinary people are required to obey this law, it should definitely apply to government and law enforcement vehicles.

South Carolina
UnDef / 27% Net / ANY / *27% Net / 1993

Special Note : If the rear-back window was tinted darker than 27% VLT before 1/1/93, it continues to be legal as long as it is the original tint. There was also a bill to require 50% VLT on front side windows and rear-back effective 1/1/99. If the Rear-back window was done before 1/1/99, it must have at least 27% VLT. It never got out of committee but with many sponsors, it can be counted on to be back.

South Dakota
Undef / 26% Net / ANY / 11% Net / 1991 ?

Note : The defined numbers include an enforcement tolerance of 9%. The numbers are the absolute darkest that is allowed. Violation is a Class 2 Misdemeanor.

Tennessee
NO / 35% Film / 35% Film / 35% Film / 198x

Note : MPV's and SUV's can have darker tint behind the front side doors such as extended cab trucks.

Texas
Before 1988 Model Year:
AS-1 / 35% Film / 20% Film / 20% Film / 1988

1988 Model Year and after :
AS-1 / 35% Film / 35% Film / 20% Film / 1988

Enforcement Note : Illegal window tint can be the reason for failing state safety inspection. State DPS carry light meters especially around the Mexican Border.

Utah
NO / 43% Net / ANY / ANY / 2002

Note : Previous laws allowed only 28% tint behind and prior, nonthing was allowed on the front side windows and anything behind.

Enforcement Note : Illegal tint can be a reason to fail safety inspection. The tint law can be enforced on out-of-state cars. Violation is a Class C misdemeanor.

Vermont
AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / 198x

Enforcement Note : Tint law can be applied to out-of-state registered cars. The fine is $120.50 with no points.

Virginia
AS-1 / 43% Net / 35% Film / 35% Film / 1993

Enforcement Note : Tint law may technically be applied to out-of-state registered cars. There is HB 1563 which would make the law apply to VA registered cars only. The bill did not pass. VA State Police opinion on out-of-state cars with tint that does not comply with VA law.

Washington
6 inches / 32% Film / 32% Film / 32% Film / 1989

Note : MPV Windows behind the front side doors are exempt.

Enforcement Note : Tint law applies to non-Washington registered vehicles.

West Virginia
AS1 or 5 inches/ 35% Film / 35% Film / 35% Film / 1991 ?

Wisconsin
NO / 50% Film / 35% Film / 35% Film / 1996

Note : MPV windows behind the front side doors are exempt. The new tint regulation is defined under the Tran-305 administrative rule.

Enforcement Note : Tint regulation applies to non-Wisconsin registered vehicles but out-of-state motorist are normally left alone for tint.

Additional Notes : 2 demerit points are assessed for tinted window violation. Revisions to the regulation is being considered this fall and comments can be sent to B. Bird at the Wisconsin DOT. One of the proposed revisions is exempting out-of-state cars that are temporarily in Wisconsin such as tourist.

Wyoming
AS-1 / 28% Net / 28% Net / 28% Net / 1997

Note : MPV windows behind the front side doors are exempt. There is a medical exemption which allows for window film as dark as 25% light transmission.

I came across a newspaper article located at Laramie County Community College. The article which mentions the new law.

Alberta
15cm / NO / ANY / ANY / ????

British Columbia
7.5 cm / NO / ANY / ANY / ????

Enforcement Note : Tint law applies to non-residents.

Manitoba
15 cm / 45% Net / 30% Net / 30% Net / 19??

New Brunswick
NO / NO / ANY / ANY / 19??

New Foundland
15 cm / Vague / ANY / ANY / 19??

Northwest Territories
NO / NO / ?? / ?? / 19??

Nova Scotia
NO / NO / NO / NO / 19??

Ontario
Vague / Vague / ANY / ANY / 198x

Note : Has vague law. Law simply says that the windshield and front side windows cannot be tinted to the extent that people and contents inside cannot easily be identified from the outside.

Prince Edward Island
15 cm / NO / ANY / ANY / 19??

Quebec
15 cm / NO / ANY / ANY / ????

Enforcement Note : Tint law may apply to non-residents.

Saskatchewan
15 cm / NO / ANY / ANY / 19??

Yukon Territory
??? / ??? / ??? / ??? / 19??
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow...thanks for the quick responses. I live in Philly suburbs in PA. As for my situation, should I attest this in court? Remember front windows were down, no light meter test was given.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

well...if they are illegally tinted...you have no case...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry, what am I looking for on this link to help me out? It is confusing me.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:50 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by trancemission

This should answer most of your questions now that we know you live in PA

http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/morons.html

BTW I'm not calling you a moron as the link and page infers, that just so happens to be what the author decided to name his content
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
well...if they are illegally tinted...you have no case...
But they have no proof of the amount of light passing through my windows. The officer just said, these definetlly look dark.
Banned

Originally Posted by mn2trance
Does your state have a law regarding how dark a tint can be on a vehicle? If not, is it up to the cops to determine if your tint is too dark or not?
If there is no statute, the cop can not go make law.

Now I am SHOCKED he wrote you for back windows because that is a RARITY.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Have none of you dealt with this before?

Go get a receipt saying you had them removed, dont drive the car to the court house, and now you have nothing.

Time and again, it works.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by coop1018
But they have no proof of the amount of light passing through my windows. The officer just said, these definetlly look dark.
im sure that if when u go to court...theyll ask for some sort of double check on it...and then they will see how dark they really are....i just personally think fighting something which u know ur wrong for is kinda asking for more trouble and stretching ur leniency...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

are u fronts tinted??
Old 11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by SuperSteel
Now I am SHOCKED he wrote you for back windows because that is a RARITY.
Agreed, in texas they dont even look at the back windows during inspection.

Thanks for the link JPTL, guess I (or he) should of dug deeper.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
And yet another link http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
Old 11-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
are u fronts tinted??
yes
Old 11-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I spoke to my friend who is a cop. I told him the situation. He said that the guy was in training and even though it is on my back windows, if state cops in training pull you over, they have to issue the citation. He told me to keep the tint on, pay the tix, and hope I do not run in to the same cop again...
Old 11-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Here is the tint laws by state .. check yours

Tint laws
Old 11-07-2005, 06:43 PM
アキュラ 力

Agreed, in texas they dont even look at the back windows during inspection.

Thanks for the link JPTL, guess I (or he) should of dug deeper.

No probs, I've been through this actually a few times with my TL. As of a few years ago, our state legislators decided to change the law. Now tint with a mirrorish reflection to it is illegal which put me in a hard position because I had a metal tint installed on my car before this law went into effect. After being pulled over a few times, I decided to pull the tint of and have 50% all the way around (State law permits for 50% in the front and 35% in the back). Although my tint was State legal, I was still getting pulled over for the reflectivity of my tint although you can see through it. Cops would normally use the excuse that they were having a hard time seeing through the tint and that is why they pulled me over.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
No probs, I've been through this actually a few times with my TL. As of a few years ago, our state legislators decided to change the law. Now tint with a mirrorish reflection to it is illegal which put me in a hard position because I had a metal tint installed on my car before this law went into effect. After being pulled over a few times, I decided to pull the tint of and have 50% all the way around (State law permits for 50% in the front and 35% in the back). Although my tint was State legal, I was still getting pulled over for the reflectivity of my tint although you can see through it. Cops would normally use the excuse that they were having a hard time seeing through the tint and that is why they pulled me over.

its funny in texas, they say no darker than 25% on all windows. front doors and back. for the back window you can go as dark as you want as long as you have two side mirrors. but the funny part is during the state inspection they will only look at the windshield and windows to the left and right of the driver. Those cant be any darker then 20%. So I went with 20% on the front and limo on the rest.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Advanced

well according to the reference by jbcritch, you can't have any tint in your state on any of the windows. I suggest you just pay the ticket, and hope you don't get pulled over again.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
アキュラ 力

its funny in texas, they say no darker than 25% on all windows. front doors and back. for the back window you can go as dark as you want as long as you have two side mirrors. but the funny part is during the state inspection they will only look at the windshield and windows to the left and right of the driver. Those cant be any darker then 20%. So I went with 20% on the front and limo on the rest.
At least you can go that dark. Out here in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area, some of the surrounding states began changing their tint laws in the late 90's and early 2000's because of the rash of shootings involving police officers. Many of the officers complained that they could not see though some of the tints on the cars because they were too dark, hence 50% on the front and 35% in the back I tried this setup for a little while but it just looked too mismatched. So I ended up with 50% all the way around. This is not my ideal setup but at least it keeps the cops off my back since I prefer the metallic tint on my SSM.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've seen Coop's car. I believe it was 20% but it could've been 28%. So it definitely was darker than the state limit.

You can see from these photos at the last meet

I've been considering 35% in the front and 28% in the rears myself. But since he live pretty close to me, I sure don't want to see that cop
Old 11-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Thorin...thanks for the posts of my pics from the meet. So I guess it looks pretty dark then? I guess I will risk it and leave it on and give it another try. What do you think? I am still pissed though becuase my front windows were rolled down.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thorin78
I've seen Coop's car. I believe it was 20% but it could've been 28%. So it definitely was darker than the state limit.

You can see from these photos at the last meet

I've been considering 35% in the front and 28% in the rears myself. But since he live pretty close to me, I sure don't want to see that cop
Oh and it is 22%
Old 11-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, I'd be pissed too, not only did you drop 5% in fuel economy for having your windows rolled down, you also paid an extra $105.

Just make sure you don't see the cop again.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,555 Posts
PA is gay about tints. Dont know why we have this stupid law anyways. Basically just a stupid way for them to ticket us for something stupid and make us pay them.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:42 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
PA is gay about tints. Dont know why we have this stupid law anyways. Basically just a stupid way for them to ticket us for something stupid and make us pay them.
Their is very obvious and several legitimate reasons the "authorities" don't like tinted windows..... But at your age I didn't like and/or care about many of them either.....

Old 11-08-2005, 06:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its pretty simple... follow the laws or get run the risk of getting ticketed... Or worse yet blamed for an accident due to an illegal tint/vision impaired... Then you get the ticket and points...
Old 11-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JPTL-S
I guess the question is: Is your tint actually illegal? I know that when any police had a question about my tint percentage, they actually pulled out their tint testing device to see if their hunch was correct, that is unless it is blatantly obvious that your tint is too dark.

I was pulled over in my mother's SUV back in the day and was given a ticket for having tint that was too dark. After doing research, I found out that in our state, SUV's can have 50% in the front and as dark a tint as the owner wants in the rear, and so the judge threw out my case.

I guess the other question is, if you continually get pulled over, does it actually come to the point where your license will be in jeopardy if you continue to rack up tickets? These are things to think about. I suggest checking out your state's local ordinance to find out exactly what the law states before you make your decision. Best of luck
its not a moving violation so ur liscence is fine!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Cruisin'

I had a cop tell me that they put a license on the inside of the window and as long as they can read it, you are ok. But I had another say that if he feels uncomfortable then you are getting ticketed. It is highly subjective. You need to become a cop...then you can have it as dark as you want. :-) In California I know you can have the back as dark as you want, but the front can only be 25%. In Tennessee however it is 25% all the way around. In some states, it is considered a "fix it" ticket, and you actually have to have a police sign off that it is taken off. I haven't decided what tint to get, but am thinking about 5%. :-)
Old 11-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In NH, they enacted a tint law back in the late 80's / early 90's after 4 state troopers were killed in a pull over. I remember it had to do with them walking up to a limo-tinted car (guys inside had guns) for some sort of traffic infraction, cops couldn't see inside and were basically ambushed ad killed. After that the tint law came into effect very quickly. I don't remember the entire story, so I don't know exactly why there were 4 cops there for the stop..

NH doesn't have high crime rates like larger/ more populated states, so they send a lot of time looking for things like illegal tint, cleared lights, overdue inspections, etc...
Old 12-04-2006, 06:26 PM
2006 TL

sorry to hear... Up until a few months ago I lived in Orlando and the cops there are :theghey: , to say the least. They have NOOOOTHHIING to do but pull people over. I was going to get 5% but I decided to wait on those and get 20% to be on the safe side. I still want my 5's though! IMO - It's nobody's business what goes on inside of your car #1... n #2 wtf r they looking @ you for?! They need to be looking @ the ROAD!! lol

-quotaHATER
Old 12-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,427 Posts
35% is the limit inf FL joey and in NYC its like 75% of light must be able to pass throught the glass...... i used have 20% on my old beater and i used to get tickets in orlando alot.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:23 PM
2006 TL

Angry Tinting (with a little ranting and raving -sry) lol

Originally Posted by csmeance
35% is the limit inf FL joey and in NYC its like 75% of light must be able to pass throught the glass...... i used have 20% on my old beater and i used to get tickets in orlando alot.
thanks... i knew when i got the tint done that 20 is illegal but i figured it wouldnt be as blatant as 5. didnt know that 35% is the cut-off... and 75 in the city - NYPD never bugs me (maybe it's bc NYPD actually has REAL sh*t goin on and dont have to sit around all day waiting to give out tickets... just a thought) ONE time I stopped at an intersection with the cop across from me in the opposite lane and he popped a U-ey when the light turned green and I swore the way he made that turn he was gonna pull me over but turns out he was gonna give me a ticket for not having a front license plate, that is, until he saw I have FL tags still... He just kept on going. A lot of this might sound like hostility towards the FDLE, but it's more like, uhhh, how do I put this nicely? Hatred. I've NEVER had a problem with the NYPD... Lived in NY for most of my life, moved to FL for 3 years, and now I'm back, with a record longer than my arm (literally - it's ridiculous). All thanks to my pals @ the FL Dept of Law Enf.

Let me sum it up:
1. Failing to come to a complete stop (in an EMPTY neighborhood.. i did a rolling stop)
2. Failure to produce insurance card (it was in the mail - this got dismissed)
3. Speeding - 75 in 40
4. Taking a turn "too fast" - psh - too fast for the cops big-ass Durango maybe... made a left turn doing 40 in a 35 - (this one was on my BDAY so she let me go... and on 9/11... bad luck i tell ya!)
4. the day I got my blue tectoyz lights I got pulled over... NOT for the lights being on while driving, but for going 46 in a 40. 46!!!! Gimme a f'in break!
5. Speeding - 91 in a 70 on I-4
but I did 135 for about 2 hrs on the Turnpike going to Miami and the cops just flew right past me! Unbelievable!
6. Speeding - 65 in a 55 - and #7
7. Failing to yield to an emrgency vehicle 3,000 ft. a.k.a "Evading a police unit - Strobes on; Siren Yelp on" - This is ridiculous, but I cant help but laugh... theres NO shoulder on the road, so I waited til the next possible shoulder or turn (which was like amin or two up the road, so i set cruise to 55 WITH my hazards on and wait til I get to the corner... and he tries to tell me i'm evading a police officer... take ur Malibu and SHOVE IIIT)
8. DUI Checkpoint - License not present (i didnt have my license with me ONE time, and i hit a DUI checkpoint. CLEARLY the man upstairs isnt a fan..)

Everytime I go back to FL, without fail, I get pulled over. Except for the last time, but I was in my sister's Navigator and I hate its handling so I did 5-10 over the posted speed.

This is what I say to FDLE

PHEW!! sorry to take over the thread - I feel better now that thats off my chest! lol

Quick Reply: Pulled Over in 3rd Gen for Tint-Ticketed