3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PROBLEM? Rattle noise somewhere in the center of shift area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PROBLEM? Rattle noise somewhere in the center of shift area?

Hi all,

I have so many problems with my new 04 tl 5AT NAV with body kit. Recently, i am starting to hear some rattle noises on the center of the car (inside)? that really pissed me off, cuz i don't know where it coming from? Anyone has the same problem? Anyone bring their car back to the dealer before? What might cause it? and what should i tell them if they say everything is okay, which they always do......thanks

Need advice.......
Old 09-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yhc2001
Hi all,

I have so many problems with my new 04 tl 5AT NAV with body kit. Recently, i am starting to hear some rattle noises on the center of the car (inside)? that really pissed me off, cuz i don't know where it coming from? Anyone has the same problem? Anyone bring their car back to the dealer before? What might cause it? and what should i tell them if they say everything is okay, which they always do......thanks

Need advice.......
Some people on here have had problems with the compartments under the nav, if they openened the doors the rattles would go away. Where else are you experiencing rattles?
Old 09-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

I have the same or similar rattle. I think it's the result of the wood trim rubbing against the metal part of the shifter console. If I press down on the wood trim while I'm driving it seems to help the situation.

So far I have experienced the following rattles:

Navigation Rattle - I had this rattle the day I drove the car off the lot. The dealer improved the situation by tightening some screws.

Rear Headliner Rattle -Brought it to the dealer twice to get fixed. The first time they took out the seats and placed foam around the rear deck, which didn't help at all. The second time I was able to pinpoint the location by showing them that if someone pushed hard on the rear headliner while driving the rattle would stop. It turned out that the sunroof wires were loose and hitting against the headliner. This rattle has been completely fixed.

Shifter/Wood Trim Rattle - As described above. Tried to spray the area with silicone, but it didn't seem to help much. Will have dealer try and fix at first oil change.

Right Front Door/Outside Mirror Rattle - I hear this rattle over bumps. Last night I noticed that the housing to the mirror is attached poorly to the car. It makes a clicking sound when I press against it and when I hit the passenger door I can hear the mirror rattle. The driver's side is much better. I plan on having the dealer fix this at first oil change.

Front Center Speaker Buzz - I just started hearing this rattle. I will try to fix this using the suggestions from this forum.

All of these rattles from a car that has less than 1000 miles (Vin 68XXX). Although it's a great driving car the fit and finish on this car is terrible.

As far as getting the dealer to fix the rattles, it's very important that you are able to pinpoint the source of the rattles or the dealer will tell that they are fixed when they not. Unfortunatley, they are not always the best at locating the source of those annoying rattles. That's why this forum is very important and people should try and update their repair experiences as much as possible.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Hey there...no rattles here but did have the issues with the skirt package not fitting properly - my dealer ordered me a complete new skirt package and all is great now......keep taking it back as they need to resolve it..good luck....I can feel your frustration...as I have experienced this with other cars

D
Old 09-30-2004, 02:07 PM
VTEC HoooA

Check to make sure that the contents of the center armrest console are not making the noise. I know it seems obvious, but I too thought it was coming from a different spot, and found it to be 2 cd cases rubbing together.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldglv
Some people on here have had problems with the compartments under the nav, if they openened the doors the rattles would go away. Where else are you experiencing rattles?
My upper compartment does this. It rattles a decent amount, and then when I open it, nothing. Has anyone tired fixing this? If so, with what?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I think this is the ubiquitous mini-compartment buzz. I solved mine with self-adhesive felt dots I got from McMaster - works on the vanity mirror covers as well. Self-help rules!