3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium vs Regular Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumping in to say that I run regular in my TL, and I see ~32mpg on the highway during my commute. In the city (Manhattan) it drops down to 23.

I see no performance difference between regular and premium.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:18 PM
01 CL_S SMR

Originally Posted by Hooligan317
*warning* generalization coming *warning*

If you can afford the TL, you can afford to put premium in it.
Are you also thinking of not changing the oil? Having a car that is the envy of other people comes with a price, if your not ready to shell out, don't bother owning it.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:25 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by sifuacura
i never put anything below 93
but sometimes, i wonder if some gas station cheats the costumer by putting regular fuel into their premium tank..
thats why i change my gas station preference to shell. lol
Thats why I would recommend putting it from name brand gas stations. I own two gas stations and it is so easy to do that, but whoever does it gets a $25,000 fine. And if you ever suspect a gas station of doing that you can call up this number and the authorities do tests on it for every two complaints they get.

Originally Posted by ZippySLC
Jumping in to say that I run regular in my TL, and I see ~32mpg on the highway during my commute. In the city (Manhattan) it drops down to 23.

I see no performance difference between regular and premium.
I noticed a performance difference. I ran two tanks of regular bc I thought that it was a waste of money for premium, but then I realized there was a performance difference (or it could have been a psycological thing lol ). There is also this video that I saw that shows them doing actual tests and proving that 93 is better, but only in some cars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smLkmCRl6n0 thanks to Kristokes from VS for that link
Old 04-23-2007, 05:26 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Presto
Are you also thinking of not changing the oil? Having a car that is the envy of other people comes with a price, if your not ready to shell out, don't bother owning it.
What a stupid comparison.

This is an Acura, not a Porsche. What does having it be an object of envy (again, it's an Acura, and I must see a billion TL's every day) have to do what what gas you run?

People: 93 octane is not the holy grail of gasoline. It's not a performance part. If you choose to run premium in your car, fine, but stop coming down with the 'holier than thou' attitude over it.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:32 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sunny201
I noticed a performance difference. I ran two tanks of regular bc I thought that it was a waste of money for premium, but then I realized there was a performance difference (or it could have been a psycological thing lol ). There is also this video that I saw that shows them doing actual tests and proving that 93 is better, but only in some cars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smLkmCRl6n0 thanks to Kristokes from VS for that link
The only way to definitively tell would be to do dyno runs with the same car with both premium and regular gas. In my case - which may not match what everyone else sees - I see no mileage difference. The car seems just as fast, and the engine sounds just as smooth. But, that's just my experience. 90% of my driving is on the highway, where maybe it doesn't make much difference. I also don't know for sure if we're done with winterized fuel here yet.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Cruisin'

I just bought a clean, low mileage 04 model. I talked to the previous Owner who indicated he always ran mid-grade fuel (89 octane) which the dealer "recommended". I had an 03 Type-S a few years back and ran nothing but premium. I have run a few tanks of mid-grade through and haven't noticed any knocks and the performance seems acceptable. I have heard as long as you run what the car is used to, it should be fine. All of the posts have got me thinking and I may go ahead and upgrade to premium though. I may use this as an experiment to see what the affects are. You guys let me know what you think, but I'm thinking I should probably run a good fuel system cleaner through it and possibly change the plugs. I'll check the mileage and run some 0-60 times before I change. This could be interesting.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a somewhat simplified/water-downed version of SI combustion physics and why high octane fuel is used.... The statement about 100 octane fuel at the end of the article in the link is a generalization (FYI)

http://www.stanford.edu/~bmoses/knock.html

Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Just enjoying the ride!

I posted this in a thread when this topic came up before. Others have expressed the same in this thread. If you do the math it really is not an issue.

Come on people we are driving around in 35k cars and you are telling me you have to buy the lower grade gas to save yourself a FEW bucks per tank?!

Tl has a 17 gallon tank
Lets say on average premium costs .25 more (which is a high estimate)
Most of us probably fill up once a week or 52 times a year

so

if you are running the car to empty which I am sure no one does on a regular basis, but for this example I will use a 17 gallon fill.

17x.25=$4.25 a tank
$221.00 a year

You people should be able to spare an extra 18.42 a month or you are living beyond you means and should not be driving a TL. All of us are dealing with the higher gas prices but the little extra to run the required fuel should not be an issue.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:53 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Ya....I am just playing with him Ron....you know we have all been there once as we all were newb's at one time or another and did the exact same thing. (hense the just messin' with ya' statement) I tried to do the search for him to get him started.... didnt know they expired though. Sorry dude.....tried to point you in the right direction though....
No hard feelings. Bought the TL (Red) this Saturday and like it so far!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Cruisin'

There is no conclusive proof that running regular in the TL causes problems. People spread FUD about warranty claims being denied. Until there's proof that that has happened, I don't believe it.

It has nothing to do with not being able to afford the TL, or living beyond one's means. It's a matter of wanting to put the $221 (or in my case $255 when I figured it out based on my mileage) to better use than putting a product in my car that it may not need.

I see no mileage difference between regular and premium. The car seems to run just as well. Hell, my car even passed NJ inspection running on regular.

If you want to run premium, that's fine. But there is a lot of conflicting data about whether or not it's a bad idea. The manual says premium. The dealer says regular. Plenty of people have posted saying that they see no difference.

If there is concrete proof of engine problems being caused due to regular gas being used, I'd be very interested in seeing them.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
^^^ is it possible that dealer is saying put regular in as a sale gimmick? Something to think about. IMHO- do what the manufacturer recommends you to do.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ggesq
^^^ is it possible that dealer is saying put regular in as a sale gimmick? Something to think about. IMHO- do what the manufacturer recommends you to do.
Possible, but this was also the service manager post sale.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
this should be a relatively easy experiment on mileage/cost. Why dont you go and compare the two, find out for yourself, and then post the results?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:04 PM
RVC
Advanced

I run my TL on Jack Daniels and urine.......seriously, my Maxima (05) was more tempermental between the low and high grade fuel than my 06' TL even though the Compression Ratio was lower. The bottom line is the TL has an 11:1 ratio which in any custom built V-8 or whatever else would require at LEAST 93 octane. My 66' Galaxie has 12:1 (FE block 390) and it can't run on anything lower than 93. As a matter of fact it dosen't like that much but I drive it and refuse to put $6+ per gallon fuel in it as much as I drive it. The TL will run on 87 but is happeir on 93. My opinion.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Racer

It is not so stupid. If you stop changing oil you will save fairly same amount of money per year, you will not notice any performance difference and you will have same effect to the engine at the long run. So think about it.

People: 93 octane is not the holy grail of gasoline. It's not a performance part. If you choose to run premium in your car, fine, but stop coming down with the 'holier than thou' attitude over it.
But it is performance part. More effective one than the most of those people are talking about around here. And cheaper too.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Instructor

I look at it this way, I am lucky to only be paying $2.99 a gallon vs being in Europe or any other country for that matter paying $5.00+ per gallon!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM
TL Enthusiast

I get about 5 percent better gas mileage running 87 than I do 91, but I don't like the performance loss. I like to trick my mind into thinking I'm doing the inside of my engine a favor by running Premium (91).
Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is an Acura, not a Porsche. What does having it be an object of envy (again, it's an Acura, and I must see a billion TL's every day) have to do what what gas you run?

Its an Acura alright, but how many out there can afford Acura nowaday? To me, a car that worth 35-40g is well worth enviness.

U say its a stupid comparsion when you stated that you see a "billion" acura everyday lol
Old 04-23-2007, 04:41 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by sifuacura
Its an Acura alright, but how many out there can afford Acura nowaday? To me, a car that worth 35-40g is well worth enviness.

U say its a stupid comparsion when you stated that you see a "billion" acura everyday lol
Damn right! Its definitely more envious when your an 18 year old driving an 07 TL that is gonna have 20s in two weeks! (Sorry I just had to let out some excitement)
Old 05-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Advanced

OK, I'm finished searching to make sure this hasn't been asked/answered before, too many threads to wind around in, so apologies ahead of time if someone already asked this.

Hubby took MY TL-S out today and refilled it and got it premium from Costco. Claims it's the same octane level (91 is all we get in premium around here), and that Costco also supplies Chevron. He said he heard a knocking as he drove away (but admitted later to kidding me...sensitive issue for me, my TL-S). .

Anyway, anyone have any more inside scoop on Costco vs. Chevron vs. Shell premium?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Well, gasoline with a 91 octane rating should be the same across the board. There are reformulated/oxygenated, ethanol, and MTBE fuels; as well a various additives that are incorporated into the various gasolines, but all deliver the promise of 91 octane. Sometimes one might notice a difference in the operation of the vehicle with one brand vs. another, not certain whether realistic or just mental, but stick with the brand that you're most comfortable with.

I use various major brands of premium and the TL has performed well, but have never ventured into, what I consider, the "Off-Brands", or economy dealers. The cost difference doesn’t justify the change.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Instructor

The basic gasoline is the same all around. Here, the gas trucks fill up at the same distribution terminal. The difference, if any, is in proprietary additives added at the terminal. In my area, Costco, 7-11 and others get theirs from Citgo, our wonderful friends in Venezuela.

Every once in a while I'll throw in some Techron or some other additive/cleaner.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read in either Car & Driver or Road & Track about a year ago, an article on this subject. They tested several cars that were required to run premium fuel by the manufacturer on a dynomometer. The most common result that they found was that running 87 octane in those machines that had a 91 "premium" octane fuel requirement was a reduction in horsepower. In some cases, as much as 11%.
In my opinion, I paid for ALL those ponies to work when I want them.
Premium it is!

'05 TL 6MT NBP
A-Spec suspension
K&N Typhoon Intake
Michelin Pilot A/S's 245/40/17
Debadged rear
V1 on the lookout!
Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Instructor

boosting 87 octane to 91 with fuel octane booster

I think if you just do regular driving (ie NOT HARD) then 89 would probably make no difference in performance or fuel economy. But imagine you are driving the TL hard such as prolonged high speed or on a race track or both on a super hot day, that is where the higher octane fule is necessary....Acura just assumes that sporty cars like the TL are going to be driven hard! And they also assume that premium luxury car owners may not have respect for their cars if they run regular grade, as that is second class in their opinion!

And for those of you who think that adding octane boosters available at autoparts stores such as NOS octane booster or AMsoil, you should read this article from a corvette guy...

http://www.idavette.net/hib/fuel/index.htm

The article also talks all about Gasoline so give it a read...very interesting

Basically, i think premium is like insurance....you pay for it and you may never claim but when it happens, it is good to have.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Ok let just look at the cost of gas today in SoCal. Regular gas will cost me $3.499 Plus is at $3.599 and Premium $3.739. I fill up 2 times a week for a total of 104 time a year if I am just driving around town. That is 16 gallons a fill up times $3.739 = $59.82 * 104 = $6221.69. Even for us rich guys in the OC it is still alot.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by markk1661
Ok let just look at the cost of gas today in SoCal. Regular gas will cost me $3.499 Plus is at $3.599 and Premium $3.739. I fill up 2 times a week for a total of 104 time a year if I am just driving around town. That is 16 gallons a fill up times $3.739 = $59.82 * 104 = $6221.69. Even for us rich guys in the OC it is still alot.
Based on the useage, you must do a great amount of driving-42,000 miles per year. Even at that, it's only $400 more for premium per year, or $3.84 each fillup. Just cut down on the fast foods and it will be a wash.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Instructor

I use Premium gas today and I have over 78,000 mile on my 2005 TL. We have a lot of traffic down here and we don't get the best gas mileage. Just was sharing the cost of running a TL in SoCal.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought an '07 TL-S, and the salesman (and sales manager) insisted that I use high octane fuel. This was fine, because I had intended to anyways... but when I took delivery of the car, and they filled it with its first tank of gas, I noticed that they filled it with REGULAR! Cheap bastards... I called them on it.

Jimmy
Old 05-24-2007, 09:35 AM
9th Gear

I have had my '07 TL for about a month now and have been using Costco premium consistently. No problems whatsoever and getting about 21 mpg with mostly in town driving.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Boomer Sooner!

I know for a bunch of you "old timers", this thread was like "OMG, not that old chestnut again", but I found it really helpful to read through and see all the responses (even the smarta$$ ones ). You might as well get used to some noob asking this every once and a while - maybe you could refine your answers so that the arguments get settled quicker. NOT
Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Racer

I really don't get all the worry over a few hundred dollars a year. If my money ever gets that tight I would just sell the car and buy a more fuel efficient Honda. Why buy a semi sporty / entry level car and then cheap out on fuel? If you can't afford to fuel it perhaps its time to sell it?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Sorry to resurrect this, but I honestly did try to search, and couldn't find anything regarding the Costco gas vs. others, but have to admit I gave up after about an hour of going through all the search results.

I do thank those who responded with comments re. Octane 91 not being different regardless of brands, and the person who uses Costco premium frequently without adverse affects. Given prices, we may go this route in the future, but I will always try to get at least 91 in her.

Thanks to all replies.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by muranojo
Sorry to resurrect this, but I honestly did try to search, and couldn't find anything regarding the Costco gas vs. others, but have to admit I gave up after about an hour of going through all the search results.

I do thank those who responded with comments re. Octane 91 not being different regardless of brands, and the person who uses Costco premium frequently without adverse affects. Given prices, we may go this route in the future, but I will always try to get at least 91 in her.

Thanks to all replies.

Get a Shell Gas credit card that will take off 5% and the gas will be cheaper then at Costco.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:01 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by markk1661
Get a Shell Gas credit card that will take off 5% and the gas will be cheaper then at Costco.
or get a discover gas card which takes 5% off any gas station + lots of car related purchases.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
I have used BP 93 octane about 98% of the time. 5,000 miles and never a ping or whatever. Its worth $5 more per tank! CAN'T believe this thread is going on and on. But I just added to the foolish question, so shoot me!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:57 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Cocoa
Leaded fuel wont hurt. Valve seats for today's cars are made harder to compensate for the unleaded fuel of today. Leaded fuel in the past provided cushion for the valves back then.

BUT, it will kill your 02 sensors.
Leaded fuel still exists? I thought that stuff was banned years ago. Leaded fuel will ruin catalytic converters. Oh and in regards to the regular/premium dilemma, just fill it with premium. It's not that much more and you'll avoid problems in the future. If you can afford a TL, you can afford an extra $2.50.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Yes it does...

Gfaze,

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consum...ditionalFuels/

Yes leaded fuel is still around. Race fuels are leaded since it increases the anti-knock index.

Sunoco does make a 100 octane UNLEADED fuel that I have used for the T-Bird at the track.

Sunoco 260 GT 100 is designed for high performance street cars, muscle cars, classics, street rods, motorcycles, karts and marine applications. Sunoco 260 GT 100 contains no metallic compounds to harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. It contains a comprehensive additive package for greater engine protection and reduced fuel system deposits. Sunoco 260 GT 100 is also compatible with virtually all two-stroke synthetic and mineral based motor oils.

Yes LEADED fuel will destroy modern catayltic converters and can even damage the fuel injectors. A race car usually has no cats and mostly they are carburated

A-Train
Old 05-26-2007, 02:44 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Atrain
Gfaze,

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consum...ditionalFuels/

Yes leaded fuel is still around. Race fuels are leaded since it increases the anti-knock index.

Sunoco does make a 100 octane UNLEADED fuel that I have used for the T-Bird at the track.

Sunoco 260 GT 100 is designed for high performance street cars, muscle cars, classics, street rods, motorcycles, karts and marine applications. Sunoco 260 GT 100 contains no metallic compounds to harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. It contains a comprehensive additive package for greater engine protection and reduced fuel system deposits. Sunoco 260 GT 100 is also compatible with virtually all two-stroke synthetic and mineral based motor oils.

Yes LEADED fuel will destroy modern catayltic converters and can even damage the fuel injectors. A race car usually has no cats and mostly they are carburated

A-Train
You learn something new every day! You have a Thunderbird?!? I used to have a 94 with the 4.6 V8. I still miss that car. 147K miles and it NEVER failed. Failed to start only twice in the 6 years I owned it and both times the battery was shot. Sold it to my half-sister's husband and that idiot wrecked it driving drunk. Nothing like the roar of a Ford V8.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by rp555
I have had my '07 TL for about a month now and have been using Costco premium consistently. No problems whatsoever and getting about 21 mpg with mostly in town driving.
Thanx for the info as I use Costco premium too and I am getting 22-24 mpg for the first 600 miles so far (70% HWY) ... hopefully better once the engine "settles" in as my 00Tl is ave. about 30 mpg ....
Old 05-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Yes I do...

Gfaze,

I drive the TL, but I love the '95 T-Bird.

She runs high 12's in the 1/4 mile and makes for a fun drive.

A-Train

Quick Reply: Premium vs Regular Fuel