Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF on New TL - 3M or Venture Film?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 12:18 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPF on New TL - 3M or Venture Film?

Well, I've joined the club and picked up my TL last week. Now, I'm looking at getting PPF for it as a next step. As of now, I've contacted a couple installers who use the X-Pel/3M film, and one who uses Venture.

A search on 3M and Venture hasn't pulled up much since 2004, and even then, the jury was out on Venture since they were new to the game. Now that we're heading into late 2005, have there been any comments on the Venture film after a year or so? All other things being equal (I think), the attractiveness to Venture (as far as I can tell) are film thickness (12 mils=.305mm for Venture vs. .153mm=6mils for 3M) and warranty period (lifetime vs. 5 yrs). It would seem to me that Venture would have the advantage over 3M, but is there something I'm missing (yellowing film, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:42 AM
I slow down for COPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by blazera
Well, I've joined the club and picked up my TL last week. Now, I'm looking at getting PPF for it as a next step. As of now, I've contacted a couple installers who use the X-Pel/3M film, and one who uses Venture.

A search on 3M and Venture hasn't pulled up much since 2004, and even then, the jury was out on Venture since they were new to the game. Now that we're heading into late 2005, have there been any comments on the Venture film after a year or so? All other things being equal (I think), the attractiveness to Venture (as far as I can tell) are film thickness (12 mils=.305mm for Venture vs. .153mm=6mils for 3M) and warranty period (lifetime vs. 5 yrs). It would seem to me that Venture would have the advantage over 3M, but is there something I'm missing (yellowing film, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Look at my screen name and I can assure you I am not biased.

I swear by 3M. As an installer, I used many different films. I have been doing it for close to 5 years. And I keep coming back to 3M.

As to the thickness, 3M is not 6 mils, but 9 mils (advertised as 8 mils). It is also clearcoated which will help prevent staining. I believe Venture is both, clearcoated and non-clearcoated, but they just started experimenting with the clearcoat.

As to the warranty, they are both to the first owner, and most people who buy new cars, trade them within the first 3-5 years. It is a statistic, therefore, so many different aftermarket places and dealerships give you lifetime offers (including window tint warranty, lifetime oil changes to the first owner from dealership that you buy from, lifetime carwas, etc.) That does not mean that it will last you a lifetime, the company anticipates you to trade your vehicle within few years. Only few people keep they cars "until they fall apart." Therefore, it is only a trickbag. Plus, with the 3M warranty, I never had a problem of 3M declining it. And yes, they had they share of problems as all of them. But, they have been in the PPF industry the longest, so they worked out most the problems, are still working to improve the film and have the assets to do research on the film. With many other companies, they are just starting, so they do not have the experience nor money for research that 3M does. It may sound stupid, but that is what I observed.

My and if you have any additional questions, post them or contact me and I will respond if you like.

Mark.