3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! Whats up with the TL factory alarm system??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help! Whats up with the TL factory alarm system??

I am in San Diego. Lo-jac is no good to me because the thieves just drive 15 minutes and they are over the border. I read about the factory alarm system online and it seems like the only way to steal the car is with the key. If the car is not started with the key (hot-wired, or whatever), it will shut down. Is this all BS? I know thieves can bypass almost anything. Should I get a better alarm installed? Or will that be a waste of money?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:07 AM
Advanced

waste of money if someone wants something bad they are gonna get it so why put more money into something they get anyway i heard story of all kinds of shit well hey that what insurance is for
Old 11-20-2004, 06:33 AM
Racer

Alarms help deter amatuers. Real thieves aren't even slowed down by an alarm. An ignition immobilizer won't help if they just put it on a flat bed.

And just think about your own self. How often do you hear car alarms going off? How often do you even give the car a second glance when you hear it?
Old 11-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

GPS Tracking Device

If you really paranoid about losing your "baby", I would suggest you invest in a Clifford GPS Tracking System. Your vehicle can be located anywhere in the United States. You can also go online and track your vehicle. Not only that, if you want to set up an invisible fence around your house, say 10 miles, if someone breaks that barrier, you are automatically called by Clifford and asked what actions should they take. That feature can be turned on or off online. I understand your concern with your vehicle, especially if you put a lot of effort putting upgrades into it. If you have any more questions, just ask. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My father has GPS systems installed by various companies (in almsot 100 cars), and they can do all that stuff. You can access commands on the net of through the phone. You can locate the vehicle position, disable startup (i think they cut all power from the battery somehow) , set up a "fence," and a few other things. I'm pretty sure most od these companies allow for world-wide tracking.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
There is another option, though more costly. Buy a used vehicle that you don't care too much about what happens to it and use it for trips to questionable places. While I love my little Ford Ranger pickup, my wife and I use it for trips to restaurants where parking is a bit of a problem. I won't subject my TL to any chance of getting a door ding. And when we have thunderstorms, snow, threat of hail, etc., my TL stays at home in my garage and my truck takes me to work.

Yep, more expensive than a quality alarm, but next to hiring someone who will stay with your car and is armed, it's the best alternative.