Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help. racin xperts, i need to know

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:22 AM
N00b just got here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help. racin xperts, i need to know

ok guys. i have a 04 stock 5AT. i have no clue about what else is fast, and like everyone wants to race me now. can yall please assist me and let me know like, what to race, not to race. not really a list, but how to know whats gonna beat me or what not. and also like how to tell if im lookin at specs or researchi. please guys. i have a good car dont wanna waste it or look like a fag
Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
That is a loaded question but your best bet is to search this forum for runs involving the 3G TL 5AT (which there are plenty of).

In general, the TL 5AT should perform (straightlinewise) in the immediate neighborhood of those on the following short list (with AT):
Altima V6 (mainly 3.5SE/SL)
Maxima V6
3.2TL Type S
3.2CL Type S

Each of these seem to run quarter mile times in the area of 14.7-15.2 sec with traps bet 93-96mph. (rough estimate)
Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 AM
The Boss

Originally Posted by Taylor is Legend
ok guys. i have a 04 stock 5AT. i have no clue about what else is fast, and like everyone wants to race me now. can yall please assist me and let me know like, what to race, not to race. not really a list, but how to know whats gonna beat me or what not. and also like how to tell if im lookin at specs or researchi. please guys. i have a good car dont wanna waste it or look like a fag
yeah, not to sound rude but if everyone wants to race you.... let them go at it. Proceed in your own speed and forget about them. You're only 17 and I know you want to race and beat everyone out there.... but you have to understand if you ever get caught, you're gonna get that ticket and whew the insurance rate.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Or, find a track that has open nights, and go race some other vehicles.
Don't street race, you have too big a chance to F-it up and hurt/kill yourself of someone else.
Sorry to sound preachy, just a bad way, at 17, to start your driving career.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by pmptx
Or, find a track that has open nights, and go race some other vehicles.
Don't street race, you have too big a chance to F-it up and hurt/kill yourself of someone else.
Sorry to sound preachy, just a bad way, at 17, to start your driving career.

to me for assuming he meant at the track!! Taylor, do you (and those who want to run you) want to do so at the drag strip or street?? If street then, I with pmptx.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:07 PM
6MT & LSD

Just stick to shit-talking with your buddies for now and take your time getting some basic car-related knowledge, most importantly your own car - take it out to an big empty lot, check out the torque steer, tire traction, braking, emer. maneuver, etc...

Once you got that down and feel comfortable with your car, go nuts. Beating a 4 cyl. econobox won't make you any more of a man just as losing to a Viper won't mean you're a wuss.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
You don't waste anything by not racing it. In fact, I'd urge you not to race it whenever someone revs next to you since most of those people are young kids who are being idiotic. I mean if you and you're friend want to have a go on a secluded highway somewhere, just becareful...

Biggest thing about "street racing" is picking and choosing your battles. Don't do stupid things like race on a street with an elementary school down the street. I've seen and known guys who've actually hit kids doing stupid shit like that.

If you really want to know what to go up against, I suggest you do a little research about the cars that the people who've been wanting to race you have.

Originally Posted by F23A4
That is a loaded question but your best bet is to search this forum for runs involving the 3G TL 5AT (which there are plenty of).

In general, the TL 5AT should perform (straightlinewise) in the immediate neighborhood of those on the following short list (with AT):
Altima V6 (mainly 3.5SE/SL)
Maxima V6
3.2TL Type S
3.2CL Type S

Each of these seem to run quarter mile times in the area of 14.7-15.2 sec with traps bet 93-96mph. (rough estimate)
F23A4 pretty much picked up all the cars that run in the same neighborhood as the TL. Good list to go up against first.

Note: All the cars that F23A4 listed are FWD. Don't go and talk about how your TL is so fast and how it will kill RWD cars... I mean there are a few RWD cars you can take from a dig, some you can take from a roll, but most that will blow you away (Oh... like you know... an 06 Mustang GT).

Remember: AWD>RWD>FWD

TO help you out:

RWD cars you can take from a dig:
2005- IS300's (But becareful, if they have boost, they'll kill you)
2006+ IS250's
Older non turbo sports cars (I.E. Supra, 300Z)
There are more, but they're mostly non turbo, older sports cars.

Some RWD cars I've taken from a roll:
2004 G35 auto (lightly modded)
2001 S2000 (bone stock s2000, I have mods)
Previous Gen Mustangs... not the current one and definitely not the GTs.
1999 BMW M3 (note this is the E36 Model, NOT the e46 model)
2006 Mercedes E350
Current Gen Lincoln LS

Some AWD cars that I've taken from a roll:
2004 Subaru WRX (NOTE: IF he has reflased it to cobb stage 1... you're screwed even from a roll)
G35 AWD

Cars You shouldn't even BOTHER with:
Any Subaru STI (without Forced Induction, forget about it.)
Any Mitsubushi Evo (Look above at STI)
Acura NSX
Recently discontinued Pontiac GTO (oi.. man these are beasts as well)
Current Gen Mustang GT (and dont bother with older Gen Mustangs that have "Saleen" imprinted on their bumper)
2002+ BMW M3
Any Mercedes AMG (there might be a few... but eh.. most have burned me)
Any Dodge Viper
Any Exotic Sports car (Ferrari, Porsche --> eh.. you can take boxters actually, Lambos, etc)
If anyone tells you otherwise, they're bullshitting. Remember the TL stands for "Touring Luxury." We drive luxury sports sedans, but they ARE NOT sports cars.

For FWD drive cars, refer to F23A4's list. I usually just try to match up next to the current Gen Maximas or the 02-03 Maxima's. Man those are fast.

Be safe and wear your seat belt.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

I know you younger folks won't listen to us geezers anyway (hell, I didn't), but I'll give it a shot.
If you're street racing and crash and kill someone, that's Manslaughter and a lot of jail time. And, if you do it enough, you WILL crash. I did, but no one got killed. I was lucky.
Find a track, and race only there. It's NOT worth it.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:59 PM
WDP Is Faster

just race and find out.

honestly, i know at 17 years old you wanna race cars and etc. because that shit is tight..but i'll give u a pointer.

If your gonna go fast and kill yourself. Don't drag anyone a long with you. Race in your car by yourself, and race with no one around you and the other car. I'd hate to hear about someone getting killed because someone was racing and accidently lost control.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Just chillen..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn 17 and got that whip? I wish I had a car like that, I got a 99 and Im 17, so still God bless. I wont even lie though, I was tempted to race when I got the TL, and I did. Burning my gas, hitting 110 on local streets, putting my life on the line, for what? 10seconds or more? Honestly, I have cut down on my racing pretty good. Once and a while, on a quiet road, and knwoing I'm capable on taking on a race, then I'll do it. But its still stupid regardless. Do what you wish to do, but Race Responsibly. Be eazy
Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

When I was 17, the only car I had and drove was what Sega and Nintendo had to offer.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by reloaded
just race and find out.

honestly, i know at 17 years old you wanna race cars and etc. because that shit is tight..but i'll give u a pointer.

If your gonna go fast and kill yourself. Don't drag anyone a long with you. Race in your car by yourself, and race with no one around you and the other car. I'd hate to hear about someone getting killed because someone was racing and accidently lost control.

I'm with reloaded. I'm not going to lie. I was one of those lucky kids too with a nice car when I was 17, (well, I got the lude at 18, so close enough). If you're going to act a fool, remember to do it when you're in the car by yourself. When you've got passengers, they'll usually try to get you to do things in your car that you're not comfortable with, and its not worth it. So when you've got passengers, its gotta be a, look you punka**, you're lucky to be a passenger in my Ac, we do thrills on my time. But as far as things to run... stick to the lists mentioned above, but don't forget the Sentra SE-R, RSX-S, Civic Si, no Turboed Nissan 300s, Accord anythings, the current Mustang V6, the previous model Mustang GT (especially in auto or vert), Integra Type R-s (Note, the cars I mentioned can always be risky. You can usually look at the driver and tell if he's a rice nugget, or a hardcore car nut who's actuallly built himself a nice pocket rocket). My favorite things to pick on are any bmw that ends in x25, x28, and x30 (although the current sedan 330 with a stick won't go down without a fight, at all, actually. RX-8s are usually sure bets and a nice way to feel good about yourself because they look fast. Any 230 or 320 benz will take a hard beating from you. 3.2 Audi's go down pretty easily. A general rule I follow on 2.0 audi's is that if they're new, go for it, because they're usually stock. But when you see the old style A4 rolling around with an exhaust and a 4cyl turbo, don't do it. They're an easy chip tune away from wasting you. That should cover it for now. Just be careful, don't do it in traffic EVER. Be aware of the fact that you are risking your license and your life. Consider a driving school (I've been to around 4 or 5 and they really are really fun and informative. BMW has alot of good ones. One especially for emergency maneuvers and such. It was a blast). And first and foremost, learn your car first. You should definitely spend some time on some backroads feeling out your car before you put yourself in a heated situation in one. Enjoy your car, congrats!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:30 AM
N00b just got here

thanks guys. yall feel like family to me now. this helps me a wyhole lot. and DONT worry, i wont ever race like near schools, and rarely like on teh street. we have a golf course.owned by a friend and some back roads we all race on. my brother races cars pro, and he's taught me some good stuff, like emer. and turnin and crap. and he told me to never race like in streets. so im good there. i really dont like showin off too much, b/c its a gift from my mom, and i wont have a car if i eff it up.

all this info is awesome like i said. the only cars i really have to worry about are like an Si, a z4, some integras, a TL(not type-s), and an eclipse. nothin special about those cars, mostly just E/I, no great stuff.

but thanks again, for it all. and any suggestion where i should start my research? ive always wanted to know car stuff, just dont konw how. all the kids that do know about it are jerks and wont tlak to me bc im not on their "team". ill just whoop um instead
Old 10-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

You should be able to beat those neons with the big wings and hood scoops too.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SRT4and05TL
You should be able to beat those neons with the big wings and hood scoops too.
hahaha if you race them then you'll get pulled over cause those are border patrols lol.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
thanks guys. yall feel like family to me now. this helps me a wyhole lot. and DONT worry, i wont ever race like near schools, and rarely like on teh street. we have a golf course.owned by a friend and some back roads we all race on. my brother races cars pro, and he's taught me some good stuff, like emer. and turnin and crap. and he told me to never race like in streets. so im good there. i really dont like showin off too much, b/c its a gift from my mom, and i wont have a car if i eff it up.
There's a 1/4 mile track in Savannah. Use it!!!! Keep ALL the racing off the street. Is it really worth potentially killing/hurting someone, loosing your car, and spending 10 to 20 years in prison? "Back roads" racing is about as bright as racing on busy public streets. On a back road you've got blind corners, nearby trees, and wildlife to name a few things.

Racing at the track:

- makes you a better driver
- is legal
- is fun
- gives you legit bragging rights
- has emergency medical personnel on site
Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 AM
N00b just got here

yeh man we use the track, thats the only place i will ever run in town. there's a backroad. its like straight for two miles, paved and unpatroled. thats where we go after school and b4 the games. we meet at moe's boreetos on saturday. we used to meet at NOPI but they left