Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissed at the dealer... car scratched and swirled up

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pissed at the dealer... car scratched and swirled up

So I take my car in to get my brembo brakes fixed for the 2nd time in less than 10k miles for warped rotors... (my car has 36k on it; and I don't drive it hard) Keep in mind they offered to do this after I have already purchased new rotors/pads from heeltoe. Reason I ordered parts was because they said after 1st brake replacement it was a freebie but they wouldn't do it a 2nd time. But then when I called the dealer asking where my wheel lock socket was (I couldn't replace my rotors/pads because I couldn't find my wheel lock socket) He asked why I needed to take the tires off. Then after I explained he offered to fix it again... so ya, someone at the dealer also took my wheel lock socket when they serviced my car prior.

I also asked them to fix the window grinding on both the front and rear drivers side.

I asked them 2x NOT TO WASH IT.

I show up...

The car is washed... and they did a complete half ass job washing it. You can plainly see where the dude dragged a dirty towel drying it since the car wasn't fully clean before the tried to dry it. I mean they didn't even finish washing it before they dried it. Now my car is swirled and scratched all over the place, the towels they used must have had a rock on it. I have scratches everywhere now....

Oh and they only fixed the drivers side window... the rear one still makes noise. But they did put new rotors and pads on again (2nd time in less than 10k miles).

So now WTF do I do; I said to the service guy why did you wash my car I asked you not too? He gave me some piss poor excuse of lists and the wash guys... then he even admitted it was washed poorly. So I pulled it out into the sunlight and I see all of the scratches...

Keep in mind my car is Zaino'd it had NO swirls before, or scratches. Now I have tons of swirls and scratches/swirls....

He offered to buff it out. I explain to him, it has to be clay bar'd before it gets buffed and I don't want the same $10 an hour idiots buffing my car that washed it. Then I also said it has Zaino on it, he said bring the zaino in an we'll use it... OMG... While I know he's trying to help he's just not getting it. But he did say it would be their detail shop next door doing the work and not the same wash guys....

Oh Ya, and there's white scuff marks on the rear passenger door from someone opening their door into my car and transferring paint on to it while it was at the dealer...

Seriously, I'm so F'n pissed off now I don't know how to explain it...

I mean to fix this will take me ALL F'n day... at least... Someone save me from blowing a gasket here I'm really pissed.

Oh I forgot to add, the dust/dirt on my car was from driving down a gravel road that they ground into my paint. So their 1/2 ass cleaning job REALLY screwed me...

WTF do I do?

Last edited by SiGGy; 08-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
wowwwwww

im very sorry to hear that. I always ask the dealer NOT to wash my car as well so I know where you are coming from.

I would cool off and chill out for a bit first of all. I understand you are pissed and have every reason to be but if you try to talk to them now there is a good chance you will get nowhere.
After you chill for a bit I would give the service manager a call or go see him in person. Explain the situation to him and be clear about how unhappy you are without being rude or confrontational. Ask him if he would be willing to pay to have your car detailed at the shop of your choice..........see where it goes from there.

Good Luck and let us know what happens
Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
I feel ya man I had my car in the dealership and they washed it and now I have huge swirl marks all over my hood. Granted my paint was not perfect before but now its even worse. It would really suck if my paint was perfect, like it sounds like yours was.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks for the responses; it got me thinking...

So on a whim I called Zaino to ask how to fix it correctly and spoke to Sal... I explained what happened and he told me how to fix it. But he also told me there is a high end detail shop here in KC that works directly with them and gave me his number. I called him; he can do it for $300 depending on how scratched up it is. Although he was amused when I said it was an Acura; I guess they do high end sports cars normally (Ferrari's and Lambo's).

So I'll have to work out a deal with the dealer tomorrow... I wonder if I'll be able to get them to pay for it. They did offer to do a detail...

Last edited by SiGGy; 08-05-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Good luck with the dealer tomorrow. Be calm, cool, respectful yet firm on your position.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always tell them not to wash it too. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't.

Now, I make sure it is freshly washed when I bring it in (with shiny tires and all) so they won't even bother. It's worked so far!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Instructor

I can't imagine 1 single wash can cause such horrible scratches and swirls since you claimed your car had NO swirl marks on it before.

Either way though, it's really no biggie. Go get your car's paint corrected by someone that has a good reputation, it'll fix all the imperfections that is on your car now. And if you think your car's paint looked good before, you'll be in awe after the paint correction.

Here's my SHO after paint correction. Granted the paint was in really good condition for it's age, but it's still a 15 year old car with original paint that had never been corrected before.

If the dealership pays for the buff and cut, this could be a blessing in disguise.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

This has happened to me before, on my NBP and can remember how pissed I was. The only problem was I didn't see all the scratches until after I got home (30 miles away) along with the overspray all over the car even on the hood (all i had done was rear bumper cover). The whole car was covered but the ones on the hood were the deepest. I called service raising hell, and they had me bring it back they clay bared and got 90% of the over spray but to this day and can still see all those deep swirls and if i think about it long enough i get pissed lol..oh yea, when i did bring it back i demanded a loner car because it had to stay over night lol i put 500 miles on a new tsx in 2 days!!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the dealer has its own detail shop with a guy who can make anything look great again
they fix up the used cars to look brand new, you have a minor issue

If you want to use your product- then bring it in, but have a chat with the actual detail guy - his compounds will be better and be varied on the job-
Zaino the top coat yourself afterwards

Its not mandatory to claybar before- a detail shop wont
they have special soft cleaning compounds to start with, then get agressive as needed, changing to finer and finer, eventually removing all the micro swirls and marks with the equivalent of 2500 sandpaper- thats fine!!

the dealer is not going to send it to a high dollar shop, they have a shop and their obligation is to return it to as was--plus a little better. That white mark will be gone too.

While the service writer does put as the last line on the invoice- where it normally says Wash and Vac- they put No wash and vac--
the wash guy doesnt look closely, may not read english~ and only knows the cars that are finished are parked over there, and his job is to wash and move them over there
If you showed up in the middle of its washing, that explains a lot

No one has explained to the wash kid how to use clean rags etc.
Go in person and visit the Service Manager- they need to see whats happening to cars so they can educate the employee on procedure

Until someone showed you, or you read how to treat the car right----
so this person needs that same help
Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 AM
I MAKE NO SENSE

Firs thing I would do is call up corporate...
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
That sucks Siggy.

I would walk in the Acura dealership, explain that you called a high-end detailer, and he quoted you $300 to fix it. I would throw it out there that you would be willing to split that cost, and see what he says. Tell him politely that you are concerned about the paint and scratching, and that you trust this detailer more than this other detailer the dealer is spouting off about.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Racer

Believe it or not, the problem at this particular dealership is the mechanic that worked on the vehicle. I used to work in the service department at an Acura dealer where they hand washed cars after the service was done. When the service was done, the tech is suppose to take the keys to the wash people to wash. If its marked no wash, they are to park the car and give the keys back to the service writer so they can finalize the paperwork. The wash kid did mess up the paint, but the stupid technician never should have given him the keys in the first place. I would pursue the dealer. Leave the $9 an hour wash kid alone, because the incompitent service writer and mechanic are the cuplrits here.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
TC- Why on earth would you call corp? this is a simple matter easily resolved at the dealer- and the dealer has already offered a fix! problem handled
Corp is for when you have tried everything with the service MANAGER to resolve an issue with no luck- now its time for the big guns

Service MANAGER will speak with the entire shop at the monday morning weekly meeting-- remind all the techs to look for NO wash cars on the invoice, and teach the wash kid to do a good job on the right cars

Service writers take the original order and calls you to get more money, after that its out of their hands..computers add the times up for the job codes entered...
So they are not to blame either- they wrote No wash

Most customers are thrilled to get the car back with a ~free~ wash
it automatically runs better just because its clean!!--when they havnt been able to do it themself its even a bigger deal to them
in 90% of the cars washed, the customer is happy== or never looks for damage

Yes acura washed my car too- and I buffed it out myself rather than take their offer of a detail- but I own a buffer~

Tell the manager you were quoted 300 by the other shop and he knows you are full of it- they have not looked at the car if when he calls to discuss it with them- youre busted!
His detailer will fix his shops mistakes
But I was only in the biz a few decades and would have no experience deaing with many types of customers,,,from one who wants something for nothing, and another who has a legitimate gripe
Of course the object is to have zero complaints, and at acura- to get perfect 10s on the report card surveys

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 08-06-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 AM
5th Gear

Old 08-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by <{Kris}>
I can't imagine 1 single wash can cause such horrible scratches and swirls since you claimed your car had NO swirl marks on it before.
There must have been a rock in the towel he was using to dry, there are tiny visible (non swirl) scratches everywhere.

Lets not forget past 2 weeks prior I was driving down gravel roads. My car was full of gravel dust
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Tell the manager you were quoted 300 by the other shop and he knows you are full of it- they have not looked at the car if when he calls to discuss it with them- youre busted!
His detailer will fix his shops mistakes
But I was only in the biz a few decades and would have no experience deaing with many types of customers,,,from one who wants something for nothing, and another who has a legitimate gripe
Of course the object is to have zero complaints, and at acura- to get perfect 10s on the report card surveys
Not sure how I'm busted. $300 is what he quoted for what I described.

I don't want the dealer to just use an oiled based product that will fill in the scratches. This is what they did LAST time they did this to my other car. It looked great for a week then the oils wore off and it looked way worse.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SiGGy
There must have been a rock in the towel he was using to dry, there are tiny visible (non swirl) scratches everywhere.

Lets not forget past 2 weeks prior I was driving down gravel roads. My car was full of gravel dust
Ahh, that would do it then.

Really though, go on Autopia and find someone local to you that does paint correction from their home or something. Check out their past work (I'm sure they'll have pics and threads posted) and if that person knows what he's doing then the end results will be nothing less than amazing, especially with a rich colour like RRP.
I bet it'll cost less than a shop, and likely look better in the end because it's their own "business" and reputation.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
My guess would be the dealer will offer to pay whatever their detailer would cost towards your detailer...can't see them offering more than that.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Man, I use to be one of those wash kids. Except I'd piss eveyone off because I'd take so long doing it right. Sucks to hear that people's cars are getting messed up. What's the point of washing it if you don't get all the dirt off? Some people just don't take pride in their own work.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
That sucks huge donkey balls.. My TL had so many swirls, scratches, dings and road rash when I bought it that I gave up, plus the paint is super cheap.. Of course I tell people about the blemishes and they say "what? I don't see anything" I still try to treat it well but don't lose any sleep on it..

I hope you get it cleaned up and Zaino'd.. I'm sure the detailer the dealer uses is probably decent but it would be better if they gave a parts / accessories freebie and you did it yourself (peace of mind)..
Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to add to this but want to comment....it's funny when I go in for an oil change and ask them for "NO WASH" and the guy looks at me like....uhh no complimentary wash? And I say yes, please and walk away LOL. They are shocked people don't want their free wash
Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Siggy, which dealership did this to your car?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by NWI_#73
Nothing to add to this but want to comment....it's funny when I go in for an oil change and ask them for "NO WASH" and the guy looks at me like....uhh no complimentary wash? And I say yes, please and walk away LOL. They are shocked people don't want their free wash
Mine take one look at my car and completely understand. Unfortunately, the the guy who drives the cars to and from the bays doesn't always understand, and it has gotten washed a couple of times.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Siggy, which dealership did this to your car?
Superior Acura

It's specifically the Service Guys fault... he never wrote down do not wash is what I think happened. He just ignored my request. As they didn't even fix everything I had the car in for His listening skills == the suck.

What I find annoying is I didn't trust them to wash my car in the 1st place knowing they'd mess it up, and then he expects me to trust him to know how to fix it **CORRECTLY** after they messed up my car. Riiight.... I know what their detail shop is going to do if I don't sit there and baby sit them... they'll buff it with oils and fill in the swirls. Which will then come back in a week or two...

They haven't called me back or scheduled an appointment for fixing my car. He just blew me off... He was suppose to call last Thursday.

I'm just going to fix it myself... I ordered "all in one" zaino last week after speaking with Sal.

I'm still really pissed about it... there was no reason for this to happen. I do plan on calling the general manager tomorrow if I don't hear from the service guy.

Last edited by SiGGy; 08-11-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
give the guy a bad review on the telephone review they call u with.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Racer

Man. I feel your pain. I brought mine in for a simple oil change, told them not to wash it. They washed it. It didn't get scratched like yours but there were swirls all over the car. I gave the service manager an ear full. And I won't be going to the dealer ever again.