Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone Number etched in glass

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phone Number etched in glass

I bought my TL four months ago now, and today I noticed that there's a phone number and some serial number etched in my glass (front, back, and the four big side windows, not the small rear side windows).

800 727 7400
CC ####019 (first four digits removed)

So, on the web the only thing I could find is this:

http://metrotechchemicals.com/firstplacefinish/

So I'm guessing my car has interior or exterior or both treatment and my dealer didn't even tell me. This is not a huge suprise, my car was originally at another Acura dealer in Iowa and already had wheel locks, mud guards, and a trunk tray "installed" that I had them throw in when I bought mine (it was the color/interior I wanted, and still only had 8 miles on it), so now I'm wondering what this is for. Anyway, guess I'll call the 800# on Monday (they're closed on weekends) and see if they can tell me anything, but I was curious if anyone here had any insight on this.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Team NightHawk VP

never saw that before...i dont even think the TLs offered any serial etched in glass at all.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Advanced

A lot of dealers offer this as a security measure... usually to track a stolen vehicle, and usually has the vin etched in the glass. I've never seen etching used for the exterior/interior protection stuff though.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call the number and see who answers. It's probably the guy who REALLY owns the car!!

Originally Posted by Beckles
I bought my TL four months ago now, and today I noticed that there's a phone number and some serial number etched in my glass (front, back, and the four big side windows, not the small rear side windows).

800 727 7400
CC ####019 (first four digits removed)

So, on the web the only thing I could find is this:

http://metrotechchemicals.com/firstplacefinish/

So I'm guessing my car has interior or exterior or both treatment and my dealer didn't even tell me. This is not a huge suprise, my car was originally at another Acura dealer in Iowa and already had wheel locks, mud guards, and a trunk tray "installed" that I had them throw in when I bought mine (it was the color/interior I wanted, and still only had 8 miles on it), so now I'm wondering what this is for. Anyway, guess I'll call the 800# on Monday (they're closed on weekends) and see if they can tell me anything, but I was curious if anyone here had any insight on this.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
OK, how many people did call that number? I did. Please tell us what you find out on Monday... thanks.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Intermediate

Actually, doing a little more fishing around on that website I came up on this:

http://metrotechchemicals.com/chopcop/index.html

So, instead of etching the VIN they do a serial number and phone number ... I was actually planning on having my VIN etched too (AAA does it for free), and I'm not sure I like this whole serial number/phone number thing as much anyway (especially since they only answer the phone number M-F 9-5!!!), so I'll probably still get it done (have an appointment next month to get it done).

Actually, what really pisses me off is that the dealer tried to sell me glass etching when the car already had it "installed" ...

Still, I wonder if the car does have any other extras such as interior or exterior protectants ... I wonder if the car had been "sold" but never delivered which is why it has that along with the other options the dealer "threw in" that were already on the car.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Beckles
Actually, what really pisses me off is that the dealer tried to sell me glass etching when the car already had it "installed" ...

Car may have it installed but etching needs to be registered. 3 years for 180. Etching will lower up to 20% of comprehensive insurance. without it being registered no way to track it.
Thats what i thought at first...but its not a scam
Old 05-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
A lot of local police precincts will do this for free. Call and ask before you pay someone to do it.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pbm317
A lot of dealers offer this as a security measure...
Actually, they typically offer it as a "profit center" primarily, just like paint protectants, undercoating, financing through the dealer, and most extended warranties. In other words, lots of these things are marked up so that they are 70% profit for the dealer, which, however, doesn't mean they are completely worthless.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro

I performed my own window etch 2 weeks ago, really painless, 15 minutes per car.

I used a product from Vinguard.org for both my 2005 TL and my parents 2004 Civic LX. Price for 2 kits with shipping was $34.95USD delivered to my home.

The process use a glass etching paste with laser cut vinyl stencil with your car's serial number. (12 vinyl stencil supplied per kit).

As I was informing myself for alternative, the dealer was offering a commercial etch system by Sherlock which etch their special reference number and the police has to call Sherlock to get corresponding serial numbers, kind of useless should the company go out of business.

The dealer wanted $200CDN plus taxes to etch my windows.

Also, up here in the Province of Quebec, Canada, you get a big $7.00 reduction per year on the car theft protection of your insurance.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

frenchnew
Old 05-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
frenchnew, any pics of the etching to see how it came out? you can blur part of your etching so we don't see the whole number
Old 05-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cTLgo
frenchnew, any pics of the etching to see how it came out? you can blur part of your etching so we don't see the whole number
I will get you some pictures in the next few day, need to get a hang of posting pictures on this board.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 05-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by frenchnew
I will get you some pictures in the next few day, need to get a hang of posting pictures on this board.

Best regards

frenchnew

this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90613

will give all the picture posting help you need
Old 05-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
This is pure dealer "pack".

I bought my car off the lot, and it had these stupid etchings as part of a "Security package". The Dealer wad dumb enough to try to use it on me as leverage for their MSRP asking price - I told them not only did that not cut it with me, but actually I thought the car was now de-faced, and asked if they wanted to rteplace all the glass to put my car "right"? Of course they did not, so that bargaining chip ended up on my side of the table.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Road Rage
This is pure dealer "pack".

I bought my car off the lot, and it had these stupid etchings as part of a "Security package". The Dealer wad dumb enough to try to use it on me as leverage for their MSRP asking price - I told them not only did that not cut it with me, but actually I thought the car was now de-faced, and asked if they wanted to rteplace all the glass to put my car "right"? Of course they did not, so that bargaining chip ended up on my side of the table.
Very nice. I like the way you do business.

I fail to understand how etching is supposed to prevent someone from parting out my car. I don't get it...
Old 05-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by honda_s2k
Very nice. I like the way you do business.

I fail to understand how etching is supposed to prevent someone from parting out my car. I don't get it...
The idea behind the markings are to make your car less attractive to would be thieves for parts.

Imagine someone wants a door on the cheap side, they get your door but would have to replace the window because it is etched, so they do the next best thing, select a car without the etch in the windows.

Thieves are opportunistic types that wants a maximum return on minimum effort.

The same thing applies to other means of theft deterents (Car Alarms, steering wheel locks). They will always choose one without these if they can.

Best regards from the Car Theft Capital of North America.

Frenchnew
Old 05-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Why blur?, I am not afraid of thieves, they rather should be worried about me.

Have you seen a sign before where it reads, Dont mind the dogs, beware of vicious owner!.

Here are the pics.

It works...

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 05-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

looks good!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Pro

Thanks
Old 05-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Racer

Usually the VIN etching comes with a "warning" sticker to place somewhere on the car. I find it funny that they think a thief is going to stop and read a warning sticker before breaking in to your car. The VIN etching used to be a huge profit source for dealers a few years ago. Now you can get it done for free. Anyone who pays for it deserves to get ripped off.

BTW - We had a program at work a few years ago where the local police precinct offered the etching for free. They came to my work and many people signed up, including myself. Later I realized that the number they etched on EVERY piece of glass on my car (sunroof included) was wrong. One digit was off. Nice job, guys. And later, that car was stolen anyway.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 05 has etching in the windows as well that I did not ask for or pay for (not a seperate line item on the invoice). I was not told about it also. I don't remember exactly what is etched on my car, but I can tell you that it is not the full vin number. It is a 800 number, and the last 5-8 numbers of my vin.