Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perforated leather advantage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:24 AM
ManicTL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perforated leather advantage?

Does anyone know a reason why Acura chose perforated vs normal leather? Are there any advantages?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Banned

possibly to heat your bottom faster, maybe looks, stretches easier ??

it has cons, like dirt getting stuck.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:04 AM
Advanced

so the leather breaths
Old 11-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TL MaN 05 WdP
so the leather breaths
Most leather "breathes", perforated or not. Most likely the perforations in the TL leather are cosmetic. Heated seats do not require perforations for functionality. My Saab had perforated leather seats; they were not only heated, but cooled by fans in the seat bottoms and backrests. Very helpful on hot humid days. Maybe Acura will consider this feature in future models.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I can attest to a difference I experienced in September. When driving with shorts, I have always used a medium sized hand towel under my legs to keep from sweating. When I was on vacation in September, I found I never needed to do this in my TL because sweat was not a problem. And I've had other cars with perforated leather seats, so these must do their job better.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Repecat
Most leather "breathes", perforated or not. Most likely the perforations in the TL leather are cosmetic. Heated seats do not require perforations for functionality. My Saab had perforated leather seats; they were not only heated, but cooled by fans in the seat bottoms and backrests. Very helpful on hot humid days. Maybe Acura will consider this feature in future models.
Yes all leather breathes, but at nowhere near the rate of a perforated leather. It is the same for sneakers with air vents, rain slickers with holes in the underarms. Perforated leather makes for a much more comfortable leather seat in a car. Other mfrs like Lexus use "French stitiching" or gathered leather to do the same thing - allow channels of air to reach you bottom and thighs.

Like Southern Garcon (Boy), I find the peforated leather a must to avoid a bad case of Swamp Azz in the hot Virginia climate. My Outback has perforations as well, so i guess after a day of rock-climing, outdoorsmen and women also like prforated leather. The leather in my Outback would make some here happy - it is hard as a rock, feels like vinyl, but resists butt prints. Pick you poison.