3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park at the crest of inclines... or avoid Home Depot lots...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Unhappy Park at the crest of inclines... or avoid Home Depot lots...

I went to Home Depot today. The parking lot was pretty empty since it's a holiday, so I steered the TL into a space that had four empty spaces on each side and a cart return on the other side of the aisle/row. You would think that the TL is safe, right??
As I leave the store, I see an empty wind-driven shopping cart rolling down the slight incline of the parking aisle. The cart was rolling in the middle of the aisle when I first saw it; it veered slightly to the right and just enough to hit my TL on the right rear of the bumper with a glancing blow before I could sprint to the cart to grab it. I can't do 20 yds in two seconds...
Very minor waxable scuff, and will clean up just like the last scuff received at another Home Depot parking lot, although the last one was from some schmuck's bumper.
The lesson here is to park uphill at the top of inclines where there are shopping carts.
Second lesson, for me, is to take someone else's car to Home Depot. With my luck there so far, I could be the only car in the lot and a tree or light pole will fall over on it... So far, everything has waxed out, but why tempt fate??
Hope the rest of you have a much better beginning to the new year!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:52 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ouch. Something similar happened to my beemer at costco, but was on the driver-side fender though. I was parked in a corner spot too. No chance of running up to it as I saw it happened, too slow. At least the damage is minimal and removeable.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:17 AM
VS#03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I go to Home Depot........what am I talking about I hate Home Depot, Lowes.......at least you can get someone to assist you in what you need. Any way.........I park were the employees park, you never see carts were the employees park.

Kevin
Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One day, I watched some lady take her cart and give it a big shove across the parking lot. It rolled right into the side of a brand new Suburban. Put a big dent in the door. She didn't even give it a second look. I yelled at her from across the way and asked her what the hell she was doing and to make sure she left her information for the owner of the Suburban. She told me #@)* you and flipped me off. So...I just sat there and waited for the owner to return and gave him my business card and the license plate and description of the lady. He got her too. Even though it was on private land, the fact that she maliciously did it got her nailed. I had to pick her out of a photo array...which I did. Bitch!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:09 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraGuy
One day, I watched some lady take her cart and give it a big shove across the parking lot. It rolled right into the side of a brand new Suburban. Put a big dent in the door. She didn't even give it a second look. I yelled at her from across the way and asked her what the hell she was doing and to make sure she left her information for the owner of the Suburban. She told me #@)* you and flipped me off. So...I just sat there and waited for the owner to return and gave him my business card and the license plate and description of the lady. He got her too. Even though it was on private land, the fact that she maliciously did it got her nailed. I had to pick her out of a photo array...which I did. Bitch!
Well, done! Not so much a vindictive move but making this woman accountable for her ignorant actions....
I was compelled to do same at a grocery store last spring. This time it was a store employee who shoved the cart.... Busted up the left front marker/headlamp assembly on a guys Lincoln. The kid just smiled as he recovered the cart - truly pi$$ed me off.
My wife came out yet we waited for the owner of the Lincoln - I then spoke to him and followed him back in the store to management and ID'ing the guilty "idiot".
The gentleman was definitely appreciative - I only hope someone will do the same for me if required etc..

Happy New Year all
Old 01-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Cudos to both of you. We should all act the way you did. My wife's new '07 Accord EX-L got smacked in the rear by a cart, but she wasn't fortunate enough to have a good citizen come forward and ID the SOB.

Pukes like them deserve everything they get, and then some.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I wish you two guys were around when someone bumped in to my TL
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Well, done! Not so much a vindictive move but making this woman accountable for her ignorant actions....
I was compelled to do same at a grocery store last spring. This time it was a store employee who shoved the cart.... Busted up the left front marker/headlamp assembly on a guys Lincoln. The kid just smiled as he recovered the cart - truly pi$$ed me off.
My wife came out yet we waited for the owner of the Lincoln - I then spoke to him and followed him back in the store to management and ID'ing the guilty "idiot".
The gentleman was definitely appreciative - I only hope someone will do the same for me if required etc..

Happy New Year all
better not go to the same grocery store for a while to avoid that kid's retalition.. maybe he'll get his friend to key your car or something...
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Instructor

I went to Walmart on a windy day and was sitting in my car waiting on my passenger. As I sat in the car I saw a shopping cart enter through the corner of my eye. I started picking up speed but didn't matter because it was heading to the empty side of the parking lot. Just then it hit bump and started heading towards parked cars. I jumped out of the car and ran as fast as I could about 50 yards about 2 inches from a Camry stil sporting temp plates.

I dispise people who use a store-provided shopping cart and don't return them to the corrals but instead leave them anywhere. In Germany you have to insert 1 Euro in shopping carts that is returned when the cart is. Never see stray carts in parking lots.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaikamon
I went to Walmart on a windy day and was sitting in my car waiting on my passenger. As I sat in the car I saw a shopping cart enter through the corner of my eye. I started picking up speed but didn't matter because it was heading to the empty side of the parking lot. Just then it hit bump and started heading towards parked cars. I jumped out of the car and ran as fast as I could about 50 yards about 2 inches from a Camry stil sporting temp plates.

I dispise people who use a store-provided shopping cart and don't return them to the corrals but instead leave them anywhere. In Germany you have to insert 1 Euro in shopping carts that is returned when the cart is. Never see stray carts in parking lots.
they have the quarter return feature at walbaums up nort in NY. Also those sid edoor gaurd things that make the TL look fat don't protect it, the carts aways hit above it.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was at a stop and shop walking into the store and doing the normal head turn and watch my car as i walk in. i then see an old man finish with unloading his cart and lightly push the cart away. because of the gradiant, there goes the carriage, towards my car. i stop walking and start watching pissed as hell. all of a sudden, the cart return boy starts running out of nowhere and grabs the carts about 10 ft from my car. i shoulda given him a tip or something, but i was already far away.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
Cobra - You are my hero.

F that Bitch!

gurney
Old 01-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Instructor

I'm in the military and in Germany on the base I was leaving the PX and I saw a lady getting out of her minivan. It was an older square model Caravan. She opened the door and turned in the seat and used her feet to push the door open into a 3 series BMW that was sitting next to it. I was parked next to the bimmer. As she walked away I asked her if she saw what she did, she said it was none of my business if its not my car. I decided to wait there to see if the owner of the BMW was coming out. After about 15 minutes I realized he/she may not come soon so I decided to call the military police. Luckilly as the MPs arrived she was returning from the store to leave. When the MPs pulled up and stopped her she gave me the evil eye. The MPs took my statement and I left. I later found out that they ran the plates and notified the owner in the PX and she ended up paying.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:09 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This has happed to me as well. I was at Kmart and parked at the far side of the parking lot. When I came back to my car, I saw a cart resting against my front bumper. It left couple of small dents on the bumper
Old 01-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Registered but harmless

Lightbulb The answer??

Originally Posted by RSA_Secure
...I was at Kmart...
OK, peeps, I think I've got it figured out- this stuff only happens at discount and big-box stores like Kmart, Costco, WalMart, Home Depot, etc. because we are cheapskates. We therefore can avoid future problems by shopping only at Neiman Marcus and high-end stores with exclusive parking. :surrender
Then again, that might entail giving the cars to valets (which is another thread or dozen threads)...
Old 01-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Not a dude.

Originally Posted by Will Y.
I went to Home Depot today. ... As I leave the store, I see an empty wind-driven shopping cart rolling down the slight incline of the parking aisle. The cart was rolling in the middle of the aisle when I first saw it; it veered slightly to the right and just enough to hit my TL on the right rear of the bumper with a glancing blow before I could sprint to the cart to grab it. I can't do 20 yds in two seconds...
Am I evil because I am giggling at the thought of Will sprinting wildly across the parking lot?

{heads out the door to Neiman Marcus}
Old 01-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by rt4563
Am I evil because I am giggling at the thought of Will sprinting wildly across the parking lot?
More like rolling along huffing and puffing (excessive donut and pastrami-based diet while avoiding exercise at all costs) and screaming "Nooooo!!!"
Reminded me of the Volkswagen commercial where the guy threw himself in front of the approaching shopping cart-- I would have done that if I had been closer to the TL...
Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
More like rolling along huffing and puffing (excessive donut and pastrami-based diet while avoiding exercise at all costs) and screaming "Nooooo!!!"
Reminded me of the Volkswagen commercial where the guy threw himself in front of the approaching shopping cart-- I would have done that if I had been closer to the TL...
If you start spinning like crazy, you could capture the cart in your gravity *hides*