Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Paint Pen? And Bumper chips & finding splash guards

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Paint Pen? And Bumper chips & finding splash guards

I need WDP touch up paint and unclear as to which "pen" to get. I'm seeing 2 sided pens on Ebay (one side paint, the other clear) and also a big looking pen (one-sided).
I'm not sure which is factory or which to go with. If I can't get an answer, I guess I'll just go to the dealer (god only knows what they'll charge though).

There are 2 big chips on the bumper where black is exposed. Do I need to paint/treat this type of chip differently then if on the body? The large chip is dime sized.

And since I'm posting, does anyone know of a reliable source for painted splash guards for a 2006? I had a bad experience buying a decklid lip and am fearful of the same mistake.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i would just go to the dealer and get what they have, the small brush that comes with the dealer bottle is better then the pens...

i got a two sidded pen off ebay, and its oem from canada....i dont really like the pens, i can control it as much....

in your case, i would just clean the area, and touch the area up, one layer at a time, building up the area until you are happy with the results....just remember, you always going to see the repainted areas...
Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
i would just go to the dealer and get what they have, the small brush that comes with the dealer bottle is better then the pens...

x2

I thought the touch up I got at the dealer had a brush on one side and a pen on the other.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Instructor

So many posts also - I see many prefer the pen.

What's bothering me is that White Diamond Pearl is a "tri-coat". I'm seeing a few places selling 3 part touch ups (base white, 2nd paint layer WDP I guess, and the clearcoat). Others like an Ebay seller with pens, it's just the paint and clear coat. I'm not even sure if those pens are the factory?

I guess the first order of business is to find the PROPER WDP color. I'd think that would be Acura factory but I'm hearing some reports otherwise. Then I'll worry about application methods later.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
From the Dealer, then use the back of a match stick from a matchbook. build it up to above the current level, then wetsand, then polish and seal.

Won't get an exact match, but itll help
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Thanks. I guess I'll hit the dealer for it and be done with it. I'll do the wetsand concept also and try not to be afraid. I'm thinking it's akin to furniture refinishing which I fully get the concept of. I'm going to buy an orbital machine for car care. My husband's TL hasn't been cared for properly since he bought it 3 years ago so I'm taking over control. I don't have high expectations for a perfect match.

About the splash guards. Really puzzled. I've sent out a few emails but can't get an answer if the 2006 and 2007 non-Type S would be the same. Can't figure where to buy the darned things in WDP that I KNOW would fit the 2006. Taking ideas on that and thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Instructor

My dealer parts department claims to have 3 bottles of wdp there and one end is a pen and the other end is sort of a screw off cap with a little brush inside. ???? Does that sound right? They have no clear coat offerings at all. I've not seen any photos online regarding what the dealer was talking about so I'm leery.

Isn't the clear coat also important for color matching/depth/protection? I'm really surprised they don't have any clear coat pens/bottles.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See if you can find a place in your area which specializes in this kinda thing. I recently bought my car and it has a couple chips in it. My thoughts were to do it myself but I believe I'll get someone else to do it since i've painted a car before and know it's gonna be a b*tch. At the same time I should be able to get the fingerwells painted.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:30 AM
4th Gear

Post Re. Paint Touch Up Pens, etc.

The touch up paint from the dealer is a good match. Cost is under $10.00. When painting a substrate (rubber bumper cover for example) it would be a good idea to first degrease the area, then scuff it for better adhesion, and prime it with a gray primer BEFORE you try to touch up your paint. Your bumper cover is molded in black, and when you apply touch up paint to it, it will appear darker than the rest of the car. By priming first, it will more closely resemble the shade of your car that you are trying to replicate. Any touch up the size of a dime is going to be very noticeable, and should be sprayed on. Also... most touch up paints are a "one coat" finish, as opposed to the factory "two or three coat" finishes, no need to clear coat. BUT... If your touch up looks good when first applied- color wise- and then fades out, maybe your touch up paint needs to be followed up with a clear coat. An example would be a red paint that looks good until dry, when dry it looks pink. Splash some water on it to replicate what a clear coat would do, if the color comes back red, then clear it.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I just bought some touchup paint for my wife's Ody from www.paintscratch.com It matches perfectly. It's a little pricey but I like the consistency better than the factory touchup I got from Acura.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
I just bought some touchup paint for my wife's Ody from www.paintscratch.com It matches perfectly. It's a little pricey but I like the consistency better than the factory touchup I got from Acura.
I tried the pen first .. was a PITA .. then went with the tri color from Paintscratch.com.. was a lot better..
Old 04-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Instructor

I ended up buying the WDP bottles from PaintScratch. I was hopeing to do this project this weekend (finally nice out). I forgot to buy an artists brush. Though the brushes in the bottle might be fine because I intend to do the glob method and sand it down - then polish to do it right. A bit nervous about the whole thing but feel I made the right decision with PaintScratch. If I didn't have a tri-color to deal with, I'd have gone with the simpler method.

I bought lacquer thinner, primer, the 2 bottles of WDP colors, clear coat.
I appreciate the info on the bumper. I wasn't going to prime that! So glad you posted that I should. wow. Thank you everyone. Will report on how it turns out.

Last edited by meagain; 04-18-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:43 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw this in Automobile magazine Dr. Colorchip. Worth a shot
Old 04-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Like the above member posted, get the WDP brush bottle and apply until over the surrounding surface. Wetsand and then clean. apply clear and your done! This will give you a better looking result!