Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint peeling on bumpers because...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint peeling on bumpers because...

I read on another forum.... the reason why paint is peeling from the bumpers is because Acura installs them on the car while the paint is still wet.

This might be total BS, but who knows?

Maybe one of you guys that is going in for repaint can find out.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:02 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by jackal2001
I read on another forum.... the reason why paint is peeling from the bumpers is because Acura installs them on the car while the paint is still wet.

This might be total BS, but who knows?

Maybe one of you guys that is going in for repaint can find out.
My guess is that is total BS cause then where are all the finger prints etc.? I think the parts are just scraping together - tough to fit together etc. and then they are simply touching up over the scuffed paint. Mine looks like they scraped and wrinkled it, then they just painted over the mess.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:55 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think its BS. because why go through the trouble of trying to match exact colors and waititing for right time to dry and all... i mean it makes MORE sense to have the car put together and then paint. But who knows.. i think same a Tbone.. our cars are really fit TIGHT. But hey.. wont the 4 year warranty cover this?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Advanced

I had to have my front bumper replaced after someone backed into me. Now there is a spot on the driver side where the seam of the bumper and fender meet the wheelwell where the paint is peeling. It feels like this side is looser than the other side causing friction and since the bumper cover needs a flex agent in the paint it peels when the two panels rub together. If you hold the bumper cover at the corner it will wiggle a little compared to the passenger side does not.

Bringing it back to be fixed.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
My paint started peeling on my 96TL, so I took it to the body shop for a quote. He said he would repaint it for $380, so I said I would wait, and then traded it in like it was for my TL.

Anyway, what I am leading up to is that the body shop man told me that new bumpers need time to cure, because there is something in the plastics when they are molded that needs to age, and if they don't let them age, the paint will peel.

Just what I heard

Ron
Old 06-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
i think its BS. because why go through the trouble of trying to match exact colors and waititing for right time to dry and all... i mean it makes MORE sense to have the car put together and then paint. But who knows.. i think same a Tbone.. our cars are really fit TIGHT. But hey.. wont the 4 year warranty cover this?
Yea, they paint them unassembled. The car body is on like a cart and the pieces (fenders etc) ride along too, but they are held on a rack near where they would go on the car, but not attached. I guess the bumpers must go a different path - they would not hold up too good in the Kiln (sp?). Hmmm...I never saw where the bumpers go while at the plant...hmmmmm
Old 06-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Yea, they paint them unassembled. The car body is on like a cart and the pieces (fenders etc) ride along too, but they are held on a rack near where they would go on the car, but not attached. I guess the bumpers must go a different path - they would not hold up too good in the Kiln (sp?). Hmmm...I never saw where the bumpers go while at the plant...hmmmmm
why are my posts running off page?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Instructor

since i don't have a TL yet... by looking at others I just think that the bumper is just too tight against the fenders. after driving a while the flex of the car will cause rubbing between the body panels therefor causing it to peel away.

now for as far as bubbles on rear bumpers as some has posted, that is just poor prep, painting, etc. acura needs to clean up their act.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

Had the same issue with the paint bubbling and peeling on my TL, it was on the right front under the headlamp and back to the fenderwell.

Dealer said that mine was the second he had seen like that, Acura was aware of it and he suspected insufficient clearances to allow flex when the parts rubbed, like when pulling up too close to the curb.

They reshot it under warranty (twice, the first time was not a good match) and left a bit more clearance between the panels.

Just my .02, HTH.

TR