Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint defects on front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my WDP TL a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it every time I drive. Yesterday as I Zainoed it for the first time (thanks to all the great info from this forum), I noticed some paint defects on the front bumper. Specifically, near where the bumper meets the fender, some small pieces of paint appear to be peeling off. I almost fainted when I saw it, but it gets worse :'( . On the same front bumper, near where it folds into the wheel wells, the folded portion is jagged (not smooth) with the paint sprayed over it. The paint looks like it could peel at any second, and the bad thing is it's on both sides. I've checked some other TLs and the sanding on the bumper "fold" is definitely better.

Searching the forums, it would appear others have also encountered the bumper-fender paint flake problem. I took it to the dealer this morning and they told me the peeling paint is an issue but they need Acura/Honda Canada HQ's "authorization" before they can do anything. However, the service manager claimed the jaggies on the bumper is "normal" because that is where they cut the mold. Am I being totally taken for a ride here? Why do they need authorization on a repair from Acura? I'm definitely going to insist they fix everything, because I'm quite upset right now.

Does anyone have any advice? I know I'm a noobie, but I've seen all the helpful posts here and thought I'd ask the experts!

Thanks

Here is a link to the pics:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nom...hUDfBBjibJ2QQj
Old 07-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's awful. Mine is not that bad. Take it back and demand getting it fixed. If they don't want tom, call Acura.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:03 PM
4th Gear

I have the same problem with paint pealing on the front bumper of my WDP TL. The dealer also told me that the regional Acura manager would have to look at it before they could do anything. The dealer said that they had already fixed a few cars with the same problem. He said that they would have to send the car to the body shop for a day to remove the bumper, strip it and repaint it. I am supposed to get a phone call a couple of days before the regional manager will be at the dealership.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a few nicks and scuffs after about two weeks, as well as a backseat that was somewhat distorted and some other minor items. I talked to one of the service advisors, showed him all the stuff I found and we set up an appointment. When I picked up the car we went over everything that was on the workoreder. Everything was taken care. Even got me a loaner for a couple of days........
Old 07-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Racer

I also have a peeling problem on my SSM front bumper. My dealer offered to repaint the bumper once as a goodwill gesture, so I'll be putting the clear bra on immediately after to prevent a recurring problem.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love my 03 TL-S Nav....the paint shines like hell, it's a damn sexy car. however, my paint really sucks. the way it's REALLY (REALLY, REALLY) blotchy on the rear bumper, there's a shitload of dirt in the paint (smooth so it's under clearcoat), shittyness where the quarter panel meets the trunk opening, but it shines and looks sharp, so unless you break out that 8th grade bio class microscope, it's alright.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Wow! Good thread here, sorry to hear about your WDP! I ordered a WDP and am a little leery now of the color since all these people are having problems with the paint on the front bumpers etc. Guess I'll have to make sure to check it out before I accept delivery and hand them the check for the car! Glad this forum is in existence!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legend75
Wow! Good thread here, sorry to hear about your WDP! I ordered a WDP and am a little leery now of the color since all these people are having problems with the paint on the front bumpers etc. Guess I'll have to make sure to check it out before I accept delivery and hand them the check for the car! Glad this forum is in existence!
Well, the problem is these small imperfections are quite difficult to see. I thought I inspected my WDP very carefully upon delivery but I missed them. The fact that it was a beautiful sunny summer day didn't help, as it made things more difficult to detect visually. Be sure to check the points where the bumper meets the sheet metal frame. That's usually where the paint cracks and peels because I'm guessing they put the bumpers on too tight.

I'm going to be hounding the dealer to demand a full repaint of the bumper and resurfacing of the jagged edges. I'm just worried about the length of time I'll be without my baby :'(

BTW, for those who have already done the repaint how long does it take? I wonder if they'll give me another TL as a loaner???
Old 07-27-2004, 01:49 AM
Intermediate

I have and week old Anthracite/Quartz 6AT and I have noticed a few imperfections myself. On the rear driver's quarter panel, there is a tiny bubble in the paint. Kinda sucks but it's barely noticeable. However I have also noticed that the paint job on the the trunk lid and the hood seems kinda blotchy. Not horrible, but when the sun's not making the metal flake sparkle, you can see a slightly blotchy base coat. I don't know if that's normal on metallic paints but I wouldn't think it would be. Anyone on Team Anthracite have the same issue?
Old 07-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the same chipping problem on my WDP (VIN 26xx from October).

I noticed it in January or February, and it hasn't gotten worse (but then again I don't endure road salt in the winter and garage my car at home and work).

My dealer offered to repaint the bumper but I'm not going to do anything until it gets worse.

What surprises me is that Acura is aware of this and hasn't done anything. It's primarily due to thin paint and improper panel fit. There is no excuse for the "rough" edges.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

I had an exact issue on my front bumper and I got other issues such as alignment on real trunk against both rear panel and my right front quarter panel is not aligned properly. I had my bumper worked on and realigned the trunk at Erin Mill Acura. They have a good guy there and their own body shop. Ask for James, he is the service manager.

Originally Posted by Nomad346
I got my WDP TL a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it every time I drive. Yesterday as I Zainoed it for the first time (thanks to all the great info from this forum), I noticed some paint defects on the front bumper. Specifically, near where the bumper meets the fender, some small pieces of paint appear to be peeling off. I almost fainted when I saw it, but it gets worse :'( . On the same front bumper, near where it folds into the wheel wells, the folded portion is jagged (not smooth) with the paint sprayed over it. The paint looks like it could peel at any second, and the bad thing is it's on both sides. I've checked some other TLs and the sanding on the bumper "fold" is definitely better.

Searching the forums, it would appear others have also encountered the bumper-fender paint flake problem. I took it to the dealer this morning and they told me the peeling paint is an issue but they need Acura/Honda Canada HQ's "authorization" before they can do anything. However, the service manager claimed the jaggies on the bumper is "normal" because that is where they cut the mold. Am I being totally taken for a ride here? Why do they need authorization on a repair from Acura? I'm definitely going to insist they fix everything, because I'm quite upset right now.

Does anyone have any advice? I know I'm a noobie, but I've seen all the helpful posts here and thought I'd ask the experts!

Thanks

Here is a link to the pics:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nom...hUDfBBjibJ2QQj
Old 07-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flip_man
I had an exact issue on my front bumper and I got other issues such as alignment on real trunk against both rear panel and my right front quarter panel is not aligned properly. I had my bumper worked on and realigned the trunk at Erin Mill Acura. They have a good guy there and their own body shop. Ask for James, he is the service manager.
Thanks for the info. My dealer called me today and I've booked an appointment to get the bumper refinished.