Sponsored by:

Paint Codes - Difference between NH643M & NH643MX

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Codes - Difference between NH643M & NH643MX

Hi Everyone!

I have a question regarding paint codes and was wondering if anyone knows the difference.

I bought a lip spoiler off ebay and the seller's auction description listed all the different paint codes for the Third Generation TL. I have a 2006 TL, Anthracite Metallic so I chose the Anthracite Metallic color referring to NH643M.

I received the lip spoiler last week and did a quick color comparison to the car and it seemed off - the lip spoiler was closer to a silver/dark gray as opposed to the car color. Then I looked in the door jam and saw that my color code is NH643MX. The question I have is what does the "X" stand for and does it make a difference regarding color? I'm trying to figure out if the seller painted it the wrong color, or I chose the wrong color because I didn't tell him the "X" and went off the standard NH643M on the description?

If anyone has any insight to this, please do not hesitate to chime in. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:22 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you read one of the other posts on here it's in regards to color matching on plastic pieces.. that's probably the difference you're looking at; plastic takes paint a tad different than the metal body parts of the car. I don't think Anthracite has changed, but you might be able to ask a dealership if there was a change in Athracite for 07.

I'm not sure what the X means =/ When you purchased your lip spoiler did you have the option of choosing NH643MX ?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Timmahh
If you read one of the other posts on here it's in regards to color matching on plastic pieces.. that's probably the difference you're looking at; plastic takes paint a tad different than the metal body parts of the car. I don't think Anthracite has changed, but you might be able to ask a dealership if there was a change in Athracite for 07.

I'm not sure what the X means =/ When you purchased your lip spoiler did you have the option of choosing NH643MX ?

Thanks Timmahh for your input!

I could have told the seller my paint code, but I figured one of the options was ANTHRACITE METALLIC - NH643M, so I chose that - what you said about the plastic pieces does make sense. When it's in the sun, you can tell the difference, depending no angle, but it's not as bad. However, when it's overcast outside, man, it looks weird - like a silver/dark gray spoiler on a dark charcoal gray car.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:25 PM
da man

I am not sure about the "X' either, but I just ordered a wing spoiler from my spoiler.com for my 2007 TL. I forgot the "X" too originally, but I went back and informed them of it.

I should get mine by the end of this week. I'll let you know how much of a diffecrence if any I see.

By the way, my car is carbon gray pearl.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daman
I am not sure about the "X' either, but I just ordered a wing spoiler from my spoiler.com for my 2007 TL. I forgot the "X" too originally, but I went back and informed them of it.

I should get mine by the end of this week. I'll let you know how much of a diffecrence if any I see.

By the way, my car is carbon gray pearl.

I just don't know what the difference (if any) in regards to the "X". Did you ask them (spoiler.com) if there's a difference in paint color with or without the "x"?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 PM
da man

I did not ask, but I made sure to include it with my vin number. They use a combination of both (or one spports the other) in determining the right color match
Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a difference i believe...

If you put in Acura TL TSB in google, and search it will tell you what the difference is

I believe they change the codes between model years, and the search should reveal the specifics
Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by desper
There is a difference i believe...

If you put in Acura TL TSB in google, and search it will tell you what the difference is

I believe they change the codes between model years, and the search should reveal the specifics
Well, I found this for the 2006 Paint Codes:
http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B05-032.pdf

2005 Paint Codes
/tsb/3gTL/b05-003.pdf

2004 Paint Codes
http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B03-024.pdf

The 2004, 2005, and 2006 all have the NH643M instead of the NH643MX as the color code for Anthracite Metallic. I'm starting to really wonder why I can't find any info on the "x"

Old 07-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lawwoo11
Well, I found this for the 2006 Paint Codes:
http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B05-032.pdf

2005 Paint Codes
/tsb/3gTL/b05-003.pdf

2004 Paint Codes
http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B03-024.pdf

The 2004, 2005, and 2006 all have the NH643M instead of the NH643MX as the color code for Anthracite Metallic. I'm starting to really wonder why I can't find any info on the "x"

That is what i thought, i might be something with fiberglass on accessory parts like posted above, but you will probably have to call Acura to figure out..

that is all i could find for you and i dont see any codes with an X must stand for something BECUASE THE M means metallic and the P means Pearl, so X stands for??????
Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by desper
That is what i thought, i might be something with fiberglass on accessory parts like posted above, but you will probably have to call Acura to figure out..

that is all i could find for you and i dont see any codes with an X must stand for something

I appreciate your help! I'll keep you posted if I find anything out.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

No problem brother..

I have no idea what the X stands for, you need to call the dealer OR ask other Anthracite owners what the year of there car is and what the Door Jam says..

Is this car from Canada?

That might be it, I am pretty sure they have some slightly diferent colors

let me know i am really interested
Old 07-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Alright, seems that I have found the problem after doing a little bit of searching.

http://www.expresspaint.com/helpful_...tion_guide.asp

Condensed Version:

" !!! IMPORTANT!!!
Acura and Honda codes can be a little bit tricky. ACURA and HONDA colors usually each have a COLOR CODE and FACTORY CODE. The color tag on the vehicle that has the color code such us NH623M, also has a letter in the lower right corner has a factory code such as A. For example, NH623M and NH623M-A is not a same. If you do not see your factory code there, you need to look at your VIN (vehicle identification number), which is located on the drivers side dashboard. You will need to look through the front window from the outside in the lower, right corner of the driver's side. Once you have located the VIN, you need to identify the 11th digit. That digit will be a C, S, A, T or any number of other letters or numbers. That letter or number will be the very last digit of your color code. Example; if your code in your door jam is R517P and your VIN 11th digit is C, your actual color code is R517P-C. Look up your color on our web site and you should see the correct code for your vehicle. "

So I automatically assumed that all Anthracite Metallic paint is the same. I didn't know they had a factory paint code - hence the difference.

Now I have to get it repainted - ARGH!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 AM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
OK, I just had bodywork done and the paint was very slightly off. (like 2% off) Right now I am pursuing them to fix this. I warned them I'm a jerk when it comes to my car. 90% of people won't notice, but it's not good enough for me. The owner gave me an explanation in a round about what you were talking about there lawwoo. I thought he was talking total BS. Maybe now I believe him? I thought NH623M was the same no matter what.

I had a rear spoiler painted and put it on the day I brought my car home. It was really off, about 25% off. Had it redone.

Anthracite is really hard to match whether you got the right code or not. I wouldn't blame a painter. Acura can't even get it right. The paint will vary according to when it was painted and what material. My side mirrors are slightly off from my body color and my bumpers are mismatched too (maybe not as bad as the WDP problem but there still is a mismatch.) I think the only real way to get it is only by careful trial and error in mixing or using a spectro/chromo meter or something. If you ever get paint/bodywork carefully inspect it not only close up in bright light but also in indirect light at different angles too. This mismatch may be very subtle. I am learning this the hard way.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Intermediate

You're completely right about the indirect light - When I put on my lip spoiler the other day, it looks fine from certain angles. I thought I would be able to live with a little mismatch.

However, the last few days, I find myself walking by the car and really seeing the major mismatch. It bugs the crap out of me now and I'll have to pay $45 to have it painted again. You're right, it's not the painter's fault - I just don't understand why there are so many different versions of the color code!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:39 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Or the X could just mean that whoever's painting it needs to buy NH643M (Anthracite paint), and add the flex (hence the 'x') additive to make sure it bonds to the plastic part. I have NH643M as well.

By the way - our cars are all made in Maryland, so the factory paint code will always be "A."
Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lore
Or the X could just mean that whoever's painting it needs to buy NH643M (Anthracite paint), and add the flex (hence the 'x') additive to make sure it bonds to the plastic part. I have NH643M as well.

By the way - our cars are all made in Maryland, so the factory paint code will always be "A."

GO BEARS! We're ranked #14 for preseason rankings this year!

The "X" refers to the factory code with Acura/Honda paint. Hence the slight difference.