Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paddle shifting help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
paddle shifting help

Sadly enough i didn't get a chance to own a manual car so not good with shifting...

i have no problem upshifting.. kinda get a natural instinct about when to upshift.

The speeds indicated in the manual here https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...707O00253A.pdf
are they pretty much correct?

Also i see that it says Type S only for downshifting.. so do i go by that or the very first section indicated on page 258??

i love the paddle shift but suck at downshifts especially going down hill so any help would be appreciated.... can wrong paddle shifting do major damange to tranny?? Thanks Guys!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
It sounds like a few hours spent at a driving instruction school- whether at the racetrack with a pro racer as your copilot- or a basic street driving school, is in order!

You cant learn to drive from a book- and the TL has way too much power to be running it to redline by someone who thinks you drive it at max rpms!
Try that downshift a few times and beg acura for a warranty transmission!!! those are 4 grand too.
If you have an auto trans- the computer will not let you overrev the engine on upshifts or let you downshift at an rpm that would cause an overrev

BRAKES are for slowing the car-
transmission gear selection is for being in the right gear for the torque required to accellerate off the apex.
6 speed manual trans owners have rpm upshift limits- but can downshift and acidentally catch 2nd or something like that--- and its 4 grand of damage---- instantly
Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Learn about how to rev-match on downshifting. Do a google search and you should get some good information. Like 01tl4tl said, if you have an A/T you don't have to worry about it because the computer will match it automatically and it's set up to prevent you from doing any damage. I can give you a very quick lowdown on rev-matching, but it will take a short amount of practice to do it right. DO NOT, please do not just bang the gears down, so many people do this and it's so bad for the synchros.

This is how I do it, you could also do it slightly differently if you just want to keep the clutch to the floor.
When you're ready to downshift:
1) Clutch in
2) Shift to neutral
3) Clutch out
4) Rev the engine to the RPMs that it will spin to once you shift down into the lower gear. So as an example (this is just hypothetical, I have no idea what RPM ranges are normal in the TL M/T for each gear at a certain speed), let's say you're in 4th gear at 3000 RPMS. When you were to downshift to 3rd your engine will spin to let's say 4500 RPMS. So you will want to rev to 4500ish while the car is in neutral(usually slightly higher as your revs will drop as you let off the gas to downshift).
5) Clutch in
6) Downshift
7) Clutch out

You'll want to do this with good speed after you get the feel for it, otherwise the revs will just drop before you get the chance to downshift and you're negating the benefit of rev-matching. This is so much easier on your drivetrain to drive this way, and when you get really good at it it is a great, smooth way to deliver power when you need it
Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Learn about how to rev-match on downshifting. Do a google search and you should get some good information. Like 01tl4tl said, if you have an A/T you don't have to worry about it because the computer will match it automatically and it's set up to prevent you from doing any damage. I can give you a very quick lowdown on rev-matching, but it will take a short amount of practice to do it right. DO NOT, please do not just bang the gears down, so many people do this and it's so bad for the synchros.

This is how I do it, you could also do it slightly differently if you just want to keep the clutch to the floor.
When you're ready to downshift:
1) Clutch in
2) Shift to neutral
3) Clutch out
4) Rev the engine to the RPMs that it will spin to once you shift down into the lower gear. So as an example (this is just hypothetical, I have no idea what RPM ranges are normal in the TL M/T for each gear at a certain speed), let's say you're in 4th gear at 3000 RPMS. When you were to downshift to 3rd your engine will spin to let's say 4500 RPMS. So you will want to rev to 4500ish while the car is in neutral(usually slightly higher as your revs will drop as you let off the gas to downshift).
5) Clutch in
6) Downshift
7) Clutch out

You'll want to do this with good speed after you get the feel for it, otherwise the revs will just drop before you get the chance to downshift and you're negating the benefit of rev-matching. This is so much easier on your drivetrain to drive this way, and when you get really good at it it is a great, smooth way to deliver power when you need it
Thanks for the input... i should have mentioned that this IS an Automatic car...
Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Oh haha! Well that's even easier then, the car physically won't let you paddle shift down into a gear if it's going to cause damage to your transmission.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
giri- the owner book list the maximum upshift and downshift speeds in each gear with the automatic. there is info on many systems you need to understand and practice in controlled conditions with a skilled driver!!
Read it again, then look up Performance Driving Schools in your area.

WRX- no need to ~double-clutch~ with a TL - pretty good synchros, a rev blip a touch sure- but the time required vs the speed matching is a thing of days gone by.
Semi Trucks- some race cars- may have trans that still require that skill, but not the average person.

I heard the newer TL even ~blips the throttle~ on a downshift in SS for you!!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:32 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
giri- the owner book list the maximum upshift and downshift speeds in each gear with the automatic. there is info on many systems you need to understand and practice in controlled conditions with a skilled driver!!
Read it again, then look up Performance Driving Schools in your area.

WRX- no need to ~double-clutch~ with a TL - pretty good synchros, a rev blip a touch sure- but the time required vs the speed matching is a thing of days gone by.
Semi Trucks- some race cars- may have trans that still require that skill, but not the average person.

I heard the newer TL even ~blips the throttle~ on a downshift in SS for you!!
Good to know!