Sponsored by:

Outside Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:37 AM
tms
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside Temperature Gauge

My temperature gauge seems to be off (warmer) by 4-5 degrees than what it actually is. I have the body kit on the car, but that should not have anything to do with it being off. Does anyone else have this problem??
Old 04-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Intermediate

I have the same problem. ( 4 or 5 DEG. OFF) I dont have a body kit or any extras exept for a trunk lid.
IT REALY BUGS ME!!!!!!

DWP/5AT/no NAVI
Old 04-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Racer

Can you two really tell the difference between 64 and 68 degrees? If so, I'll hire you!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:52 AM
tms
Intermediate

You have missed the point......if it's off it's off........if it does not work then why have it. Guess your not as particular as me.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:52 AM
Instructor

Talking

Hey guys, in actuality the gauge is probably right on. What happens is that the gauge is picking up road heat and some solar radiation reflected off the pavement. The temperature in the area immediately above the roadway that the sensor is meauring is actually about 4 degrees higher than the true ambient air temperature. Watch your gauge during a decent rain and you'll probably find that the gauge is now reading the same temp as your local weather forecast says (assuming their reading is in roughly the same area as where you are). This is simply because the heat that's created by traffic is damped by the rain. Additionally, the solar radiation is less of a factor during cloudy/rainy days. Every single temp gauge I've had in a variety of cars has always been about 4-5 degrees high EXCEPT when it rains.

Bottom line is that you can calibrate it down about 4 degrees and get the unit to read "artificially correct" but then it will probably be 4 degrees low when it rains. Your pick.

Hey, all those years of Meteorology in College have finally paid off!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just calibrate it. You can chamge the temp by +/- 3-4'F. It's in the manual. After resetting mine, it's been right on.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Team Nighthawk Whiner

See earlier threads on this which also include the instructions on how to adjust the temp readings.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:21 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, there is a way to adjust, but only +/- 3 degrees, they have never fixed this from the start of production, it was an issue then, and is an issue now!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Check out this bible... http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67481

The great one....

If you need further adjustment, I mean more than +/-3 degree, you have to ask your dealer...
Old 04-15-2004, 09:39 AM
User Registered

Here's my beef with something of a similar nature...

How the heck do we know that the solar sensor that tracks where the location of the sun is... works? It's suppose to adjust the inside temperature settings accordingly, but does it?

Hmm. How the heck do you adjust the tempurature reading anyway? What are you gauging it against to get a near accurate reading?

A fish tank tempurature sticker stuck to the windshield?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Racer

you can only lower it 3 degrees. mine is about 6 degrees high.
the dealer told me they couldn't lower it anymore than the manual fix of +/- 3 deg.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by BlackSunshine
Here's my beef with something of a similar nature...

How the heck do we know that the solar sensor that tracks where the location of the sun is... works? It's suppose to adjust the inside temperature settings accordingly, but does it?

Hmm. How the heck do you adjust the tempurature reading anyway? What are you gauging it against to get a near accurate reading?

A fish tank tempurature sticker stuck to the windshield?

The Solar Sensor seems working OK... at least, in my car... months ago, need4spd also posted his testing results. You may check it out if you wanna know.

About the outside temp reading, it's hard to ajust it or define whether it's accurate or not. Perhaps, you should have a bag of ice water and tight it up with your sensor, then go driving for minutes. This could be the way DIY to set it up right.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tms
You have missed the point......if it's off it's off........if it does not work then why have it.
So you can see appriox. what the temp is. If it's 10-54 or 70-74....it's good to know right? But does it matter if it's 94 or 98? HOT IS HOT...

I know what you're saying but this is a bit picky.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Racer

Mine was off by 2-3 degrees too. I manually adjusted it down.

Agreed that in most cases the slight temp differences don't mean all that much. The one time I want to know more exactly what the temperature is when it gets to be around freezing outside. Then I care. I want to know if the roads might be starting to ice up. I don't want a false sense of security if the temp is reading 3-5 degrees high. In that case the accuracy makes all the difference in the world.

So, no this is not picky in my book. Sure there are lots of things commented on in this forum that border on the picky (at least to me....if it's important to those folks then it's not picky to them either....cut them a little slack), but this is not one of them.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:49 AM
User Registered

Um, helloooo!!! If you bought a TL, you're picky. Otherwise, you would have bought an Accord for less. But your standards have been raised and you bought a TL... so of course we're going to nit-pick at anything we can. To some of us, 30k-35k is a lot of money and we expect a lot from that.

Picky is as picky does.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackSunshine
Um, helloooo!!! If you bought a TL, you're picky. Otherwise, you would have bought an Accord for less. But your standards have been raised and you bought a TL... so of course we're going to nit-pick at anything we can. To some of us, 30k-35k is a lot of money and we expect a lot from that.

Picky is as picky does.
Well speaking of being picky.....last night I went to pick up my son from refereeing a soccer game. When I left, the "miles to go before empty" read 100. When I got back it read 64. However, it was only a six mile trip. Mebbe I have a gas leak, eh? :-) Or mebbe my foot was too heavy.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Team WD Chaplain

Originally Posted by fishacura
I know what you're saying but this is a bit picky.
If I Zaino my car at less than 60 degrees my Zainoing time increases by a factor of 4!!!

Also, I need a barometer.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by R11S
Well speaking of being picky.....last night I went to pick up my son from refereeing a soccer game. When I left, the "miles to go before empty" read 100. When I got back it read 64. However, it was only a six mile trip. Mebbe I have a gas leak, eh? :-) Or mebbe my foot was too heavy.

It's normal... only if you were driving under the traffic/city/slow condition right before that 2nd reading. The calculation of "Miles to Empty" is much sensitive and accurate to MPG of trip computer.

MPG of trip computer is based on the data in your whole trip, btwn two resets. But, "Miles to Empty" seems to rely on some near-real-time MPG data...

Also, if you enter dianosis mode of Navi, you could see more than one MPG info inside...