Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Plan

I'm planning on getting my oil changed within the next few weeks at the local Honda dealer. After reading some posts, I have decided that I will be using Mobil 1 10w-30 with the Mobil M1-110 filter. After that, I plan to change my oil and filter once every six months or if i exceed 8000 miles. I"ll be using a Honda dealer because the nearest Acura dealer is 100 miles away. I won't be doing the work myself because I don't have the equiptment or location to do it.

Should the filter still be changed more regularly?
Any addatives?
Is there anything I should tell the Honda dealer that's specific to my TL?
Anthing else???

Thanks in advance.
-d
Old 02-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That oil and filter that you indicated should be just fine. But why not just adhere to the MID schedule for starters. You can then make adjustments to your change schedule as conditions warrant.
I wouldn't use any additives beyond what is contained in the Mobil 1 oil.
I would tell the Honda dealer to check the items identified in your service pamphlet and owners manual including the tire rotation, unless you can get free rotations from a tire dealer like I did.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Racer

I changed out my oil very early. I personaly wished that I hadn't especially since I went straight to synthetic. According to everyone else, the original engine oil helps with the break in. Some people even suggest sticking w/ dino oil for the first changeout. If you plan on going straight to synthetic, I think you should just wait till the MID tells you to change it out as Repecat suggested.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

i change my oil when the MID tells me to. i know its not written in stone but usually from experience it will tell me to change about every 4-5K. i am using synthetic oil as well. although there are claims that synthetic oil will last 7-10K miles for oil changes i would not risk it. i believe there was an article from road rage that tested the oil's additive packs during certain intervals and that those additives did not last as long as the manufacturer claimed. i buy my oil at costco and at $23 a case and a 5 dollar filter i don't find it that unreasonable to change it relatively early even using synthetic oil. i rather not do it myself so i take it to the dealer and he changes me like 20 bucks for the labor.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Cruisin'

I would use the MID but I was under the assumption it wouldn't work all that well for synthetic. Is the MID that smart or does it just base it's percentage on my driving conditions and the assumption im using regular oil?
-d
Old 02-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe you are correct in that the algorithm that drives the MID assumes the use of dino oil. Therefore, if you use synoil and follow the MID, you will err on the side of caution. That being said, I think with "normal" driving patters the MID will recomend oil changes at 7000-7500 mile intervals. (At least that was what mine was headed for, but I changed a bit early at 5000 miles.) So, regardless of which way you go, you will not be far off. Is this making sense?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Intermediate

There are a few vehicles that use syn oil from the get go. I think all those rumors about waiting for the rings to seat are just that: Stories made up with no verifiable facts.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by damats
I'm planning on getting my oil changed within the next few weeks at the local Honda dealer. After reading some posts, I have decided that I will be using Mobil 1 10w-30 with the Mobil M1-110 filter. After that, I plan to change my oil and filter once every six months or if i exceed 8000 miles. I"ll be using a Honda dealer because the nearest Acura dealer is 100 miles away. I won't be doing the work myself because I don't have the equiptment or location to do it.

Should the filter still be changed more regularly?
Any addatives?
Is there anything I should tell the Honda dealer that's specific to my TL?
Anthing else???

Thanks in advance.
-d
Sounds good. I'm at 2800 miles and will be changing to Mobil 1 as well in about another 1k miles (around 4k)... Long enough for break in but not too long for me. I will be using Mobil 1 5w-30 however.., along with that same Mobil 1 filter which I've heard nothing but good things about. Mobil is coming out with the 5w-20, but I will continue to use 5w-30 for a little added protection (and negligible MPG loss... the 5w-20 from what I can ascertain here and there is an EPA thing...)

As for the cost of oil, CostCo is GOOD... But PEPBOYS is better right now. Get one of their MADD calendars and it's buy 3 get 3 free for Mobil 1 (coupon inside)... $15 for 6 quarts... I bought 10+ calendars. You can't believe how much oil and other free crap I have from PepBOys. I go almost every day as it's next to my work.

As for ramps, I have the Rhino ramps from Advanced Auto... Well built and only $25.

Good luck with the change!