Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change-Dealer or Local Shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change-Dealer or Local Shop

Does it really matter where I go get my first oil change or any oil change for that matter. If I went local I know I have to reset the Maintenance Minder. I just hate the time it takes and the money charged for dealers to work on your car.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer I inquired about this told me that they charge $26 and no appt is necessary. If you are around a big dealer, I would go there-they are used to dealing with TLs. Besides, they won't bug you about "change this and change that" type of questions.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Racer

My car came with a certificate for the first oil change free. I usually change the oil myself. I can do it faster than the time it takes to go somewhere and wait.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:59 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Oil Change-Dealer or Local Shop

Originally posted by coop1018
Does it really matter where I go get my first oil change or any oil change for that matter. If I went local I know I have to reset the Maintenance Minder. I just hate the time it takes and the money charged for dealers to work on your car.
I think on average the dealers (especially smaller Acura dealers) would charge more for their oil changes and service than a local reputable mechanic. In fact, there are several threads on this particular topic. Some argued that Acura has this "inspecition list" of all these things they "supposedly" check while changing your oil....one of those 50 point inspection checks....and that they basically just change your oil and out the door you go.

My local reputable mechanic that our family has been dealing with for years will change my oil and actually do those checks for $19.95....and the kicker is, the car will be in the same shape when I pick it up as it was when I dropped it off. No oil residue on the wheel or shifter...no nicks in the paint...etc...

However, if you have the time and tools, you can never go wrong with changing it yourself.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

I would love to do it myself but do not have a lift or ramp to get the car up. WOuld you trust two jacks? I think I am better off going to the local guy.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:34 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by coop1018
I would love to do it myself but do not have a lift or ramp to get the car up. WOuld you trust two jacks? I think I am better off going to the local guy.
I take my car to a local guy. He treats us well and is trustworthy. I sleep better at night knowing that I'm not going to be taken to the cleaners by an unethical mechanic/dealership.

I would not trust any floor jack but that's just me. Hell, back in the day, I remember laying on the garage floor with my dad changing oil in our cars and you could easily get to the oil pan without any jack or elevation...now, I can barely get my arm under my TL without getting it stuck.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Banned

For those who still change it themselves, my hat is off to you. I use to do it myself, but the hassle of disposing of the old oil was what finally got me. With a coupon, I can have a quick oil change place do it, and they even will just charge for the labor if I bring my own oil and filter.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:54 AM
HMFIC

Watch them put your oil in the car. I've heard about mechanics pouring your expensive oil in their "take home jug" and putting the regular stuff in your car.

Don
Old 03-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Racer

My only concern with taking my car to a Local Shop is that I would give them the spec on how many foot pounds to tighten the oil plug (from the manual).

Would the grease monkey follow the spec, or deliberately over tighten it just out of spite (for me being an anal-retentive owner)?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1,010 Likes on 576 Posts
It all depends on the shop. I wouldn't trust Firestone or Goodyear or most of the chain stores. I was a parts manager in a GM dealership for 15 years, and we used to get cars with drain plugs that had been put in with an impact wrench, so the washer was paper thin and sticking out all over the place. If you don't know and trust the place, either do it yourself or go to the dealer. I have always changed my own oil and filer, and I was all set to let the dealer do it, but I think I will just keep doing it myself. Like catsailr said, it is quicker and easier to do it at home. My dealer charges $24.95, but who really knows what kind of oil they are putting in. Do you think they have separate oil for 2004 TL's, and then and all the rest of the cars?

If someone has done it at home, did you use a floor jack, and where did you jack up the front. I asked the service manager and he said the aluminum cross beam in the front, with the little ridge on it (I guess to keep the jack in place and for strength), just behind the plastic shield with the arrow in it. Is that the place? The back is no problem, use the tow hook.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Lurker

I always have my oil changes done at the dealer for 3 reasons. It's an excellent backup of records for warranty purposes and the SoCal dealers seem to be always running specials anywhere from only $14.99 to $26.99 and I belong to a deal club where I get 10% off service and a free car wash with every service. The third is my preferred dealer (Tustin Acura) has free broadband access in their service lobby so I can hang with my laptop and browse the web while getting my oil change done. Not quite as cool as the Mercedes deal my father has his S500 serviced...they have a putting green, a Starbucks and a bunch of other crap. But as much as MBZ have to be serviced for repairs , I guess they get a lot of traffic and need to calm people down.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Do it at the dealer and search their web site for coupons. Our Honda dealer charges $32.95 for our Accord and Odyssey, but they always have coupons for anywhere from $9.95 to 24.95. Besides you know you are getting the right filter and drain plug. I went to a Goodyear place once with a Pathfinder and the circus monkeys used the wrong filter!!! A neighbor of ours is a Nissan tech at a local dealer and HEARD their mistake as I was driving by. Never again. To me it's not worth it.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Instructor

I always changed my own oil but since I'm driving Acuras, I let the dealer do it. They seem picky about service records at trade-in so if they do it - it's all in their computer and $25 is reasonable plus I get a free carwash and vacuum and danish and coffee. They also usually throw a free change in every 3 paid ones. Also after the crap that Toyota has pulled off with the sludged up engines they can't skip out if they do it and have records.