3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh no... the G35 Sedan has more power for 05!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 02:35 PM
User Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh no... the G35 Sedan has more power for 05!

So much for being on top in horsepower for the class. The new G35 is getting 277 horsepower and 270 lb-ft torque for 2005. That's up from their 260/260 they've been running for the past few years.

Oh well, was nice while it lasted. What sucks even more is when the G35 Sedan supercharger is ready, it will probably still out-power the supercharged TL.

Old 06-20-2004, 02:42 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Oh no... this has been posted at least 10 times already.

I still like my TL a lot better. I didn't choose the car soley on the horspower. If I did, I would have chosen a WRX STI.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
More info...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83073
Old 06-20-2004, 02:54 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GaleForce
Oh no... this has been posted at least 10 times already.

I still like my TL a lot better. I didn't choose the car soley on the horspower. If I did, I would have chosen a WRX STI.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I do not think that G35 directly competes with TL. G35 is RWD sports sedan that goes against BMW and the like. Acura, being FWD, is a sporty family car. It acts as a more luxurious alternative to Accord and Maxima. The same can be said about RL vs. M45 or 5-series. The last but not the least - more power on FWD platform can make TL unsafe to drive. BTW am I not TL hater in any sense. It is very likely that I will get a TL next year and the main reason is the additional stability of not-as-sporty FWD.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SergeyM
I do not think that G35 directly competes with TL. G35 is RWD sports sedan that goes against BMW and the like. Acura, being FWD, is a sporty family car. It acts as a more luxurious alternative to Accord and Maxima. The same can be said about RL vs. M45 or 5-series. The last but not the least - more power on FWD platform can make TL unsafe to drive. BTW am I not TL hater in any sense. It is very likely that I will get a TL next year and the main reason is the additional stability of not-as-sporty FWD.
Uh? You say the TL is unsafe to drive but you will opt for a TL because it's more stable? Make up your mind.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Safety Car

the previous G35 on paper was rated at 260/260 but everyone knows that it is under rated and is much closer to the power that the 350Z produces. so even tho nissan announced that the 2005 will have 277/270 its basically the same as the previous model years.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

We all know FWD is much safer in snow and ICE road while driving it by the right ways. I think your unsafe comment to FWD is most likely related to the situation between "HP & Torque" and "cornering". As we know RWD has Oversteer and FWD has Understeer. If cornering, there are 3 stages of motion.

1. Entering the corner, slightly understeer would provide better stability.
2. Middle of the corner, Neutralsteer is preferred.
3. Exiting the corner, slightly oversteer would help to tighten the way of going out.

So, in the situation the car speed is a little faster than the average, RWD could simply increase the power after the stage 2, then keep going. But, FWD would have to slow down or downshift to remain high-revving and require some time to get power up. FWD will get some tough time in pursuing the consecutive and tight corners. Then, while FWD finally exits the corner, the front wheel may start to spin while under the heavy acceleration to make up the power. I mean the traditional/conservative FWD...

Otherwise, I don't know which part TL could be unsafe... You know 04TL has the very good rating in this year's collision tests, right??
Old 06-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You underestimate the performance capability of the TL - especially in 6MT or A-Spec trim. Go out and find its limits. You will find that the TL and G35 are both extremely capable, and that differences in practical performance will be attributable more to the abilities of the drivers rather than the abilities of the cars.

As far as safety and stability, I think modern stability features like VSA, traction control, and ABS make both platforms equally safe. You can put a 300hp RWD car in the wall as fast as a 300hp FWD car if you don't respect the car. That said, 300hp would be more enjoyable and ultimately better utilized on a RWD or AWD platform, and I hope Acura moves in that direction with the TL.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:42 PM
VTEC HoooA

Um they are DIRECT competitors regardless of what YOU may think!!

Whether it has more power or not, it still has a shite interior, and to top it all off the new exterior redesign makes it look HORRID!!
Old 06-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Racer

i used to work at infiniti and now work for acura so i have plenty of experience with both cars. the g35 is a nice car but the tl is alot nicer car. i always thought of the g35 interior as cheap. also the g35 seemed to have alot more problems. i think it had like 4 or 5 recalls on it. also the front brakes wear extremely fast. pads usually only lasted 12-15000 miles and rotors only could be resurface once beacuse the metal was so soft on the rotor that the pads tore them up. i think anyone who choses the tl over the g35 has made a good decision.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I drove the G, I drove the TL. I liked the G.....I liked the TL more. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the G (well, maybe the interior is less than appealing...but that's only MHO). So the '05 G comes up with 7 more HP......I still like the interior and all the extra features the TL offers enough that they offset a minor HP gain. Besides, it's all subjective.......some people will like the G.....we just like the TL.....let's be happy with the great choice we made and don't worry about what the others "kids" have.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
oh no!!! THe G35 has always had MORE than the advertised 260/260!! This 277/270 is closer to the actual crank numbers.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Safety Car

dyno tests from temple of vtec showed that the TL is probably easily capable of 285hp. the dyno shows a quick dip in hp at 6200rpm(the hp was climbing steadily) which usually means that the ecu pulled back some power. if there is an ecu upgrade in the future it could mean that an additional 15 ponies can be released from reprogramming the ecu.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by caball88
dyno tests from temple of vtec showed that the TL is probably easily capable of 285hp. the dyno shows a quick dip in hp at 6200rpm(the hp was climbing steadily) which usually means that the ecu pulled back some power. if there is an ecu upgrade in the future it could mean that an additional 15 ponies can be released from reprogramming the ecu.

I do believe this, too...
Old 06-20-2004, 08:19 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Why would they limit the HP? So that in two years they can change the program and "add" 15 HP to the car?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by caball88
I was going going to post exactly the same thing, caball. I'm sure that the '05 or '06 TL will have more horsepower. And don't forget that A-Spec concept from the LA auto show that had 300 hp, so we know what the TL can do as far as HP. Now can we stop worrying about the G's HP and get back to driving?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLover
Uh? You say the TL is unsafe to drive but you will opt for a TL because it's more stable? Make up your mind.
Actually, he didn't say that. Read it... Thread is about the increased hp in 2005 G35 and whether Acura will follow the suit. The guy said that "more power on FWD platform can make TL unsafe to drive" - clearly meaning more power than it has now. He likes existing version because of "additional stability of not-as-sporty FWD". Eat, drink and be merry – after you read and reply!
Old 06-20-2004, 09:36 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

exactly what Aegir said, we ran our cars a week ago in twisties. Aegir has 6MT A-SPEC, I had 5at non-a-spec and we had another 5at with just body kit and 19 inch rims on it. I was front of Aegir for lil while and this guy was just behind my cars tail. On another run I was behind TYPE S with headers and few other mods and my car was right behind him, i was pretty happy how my 5at did with type-s.

So dont underesimate the performace of 6MT with a-spec.

Originally Posted by Aegir
You underestimate the performance capability of the TL - especially in 6MT or A-Spec trim. Go out and find its limits. You will find that the TL and G35 are both extremely capable, and that differences in practical performance will be attributable more to the abilities of the drivers rather than the abilities of the cars.

As far as safety and stability, I think modern stability features like VSA, traction control, and ABS make both platforms equally safe. You can put a 300hp RWD car in the wall as fast as a 300hp FWD car if you don't respect the car. That said, 300hp would be more enjoyable and ultimately better utilized on a RWD or AWD platform, and I hope Acura moves in that direction with the TL.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:37 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

after seeing how Aegirs 6MT a-spec handled in twisity runs (mountains) makes me wanna get a-spec package.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:42 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Aegir: give these ppl the link to the video of the runs, and I got the CD that you mailed, thanks alot
Old 06-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GaleForce
Why would they limit the HP? So that in two years they can change the program and "add" 15 HP to the car?
i dunno the exact reason why they would limite the power. maybe its for safety(torque steer) or maybe to stay within ULEV2 standards. but whatever the case the J32 engine can make more power easily. maybe they are holding back for a type-S version in 2006 with 300hp. its the same deal with nissan, they report 260hp on the G cars but when its dyno'ed it well over 260 plus its the exact same engine as the Z and that can output 287 with rumors of it being capable of over 300.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:13 PM