Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Official" 2005 TL changes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:26 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You know... someone may have already brought this up, but while the 2005 TL pictures are obvious rebadged 2004 pictures, the RL pictures are obviously not. Check this picture out:

Photo fixed: XPDitor

Could this be the new Ruby Red color? It matches what we were told about the change... how it had "more pink matallic" than RRP. It stands to reason that the RL and TL would have very similar, if not identical colors, and this color is CERTAINLY not Redondo Red Pearl. Comments?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this color . . . but I can see how it might be too 'girlie' for you guys out there.

Rachel
Old 09-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
JT3, the image link is not your fault, vtec.net has disabled direct linked pictures to minimize bandwidth theft
Old 09-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought everyone might be interested in the specific tires on the '05s. I dont know how to link to another thread so I copied for you to read. I am waiting for a reply. I hope it is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffS
New ones are definitely coming. My TL is here today and I'm picking it up Tueday but they have to give me the 17's until the A-spec rims are finalized. According to my sales guy it had something to do w sizing. I think the appearance is supposed to be basically the same. Also, as many probably know, the EL42's are out of there and the Pilot Sport A/S's are the norm.

Are you positive the Pilot Sport A/S's are now the norm? My dealer is waiting for a call back from corp. Acura to get the scoop. Who did you hear this from and is it a reliable source? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Instructor

New Changes For 2005?

I was reading an excerpt from the Acura news website regarding changes to 2005 models, and came across the section for the TL, it reads:

TL
The 2004 TL performance luxury sedan debuted in October of 2003 as an all-new model and since that time it has been Acura's top-selling vehicle. Equipped with a 270- horsepower V-6 engine, track-tuned suspension, an available 6-speed manual transmission, aggressive styling and a ground-breaking DVD-Audio system, the TL quickly became a dominant force in its segment, competing head-to-head with BMW, Lexus and Audi. Several safety enhancements were made to the 2005 model to comply with FMVSS 208 standards including:

Drivers seat position sensor helps determine optimum deployment rate for front airbag
Weight sensors in the front passenger seat disable the front airbag if the occupant weighs less than 65 pounds

Does anyone think that this is the extent of changes being made to the 2005 model?
Old 09-04-2004, 09:49 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
I guess there will the 2005 will not be too different from the 2004 TL. The only acura car getting really revamped for 2005 is the rl.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Ummm... the RSX is getting a major makeover....
Old 09-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Cruisin'

ABOUT THE HONDANEWS.com PICTURES OF THE "2005" TL :

I have now 1246 (love the TL and can't stop collecting pictures of it). I looked at the 56 on the Hondanews website and I have the exact same ones in my gallery. Mine are dated 2003 october 19.

So now, please stop telling those are 2005 pics... it's not!

...and the red is the redondo red... not the new one.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:59 PM
10th Gear

so they fixed vibration problems in TL 2005 I presume?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by johng
ABOUT THE HONDANEWS.com PICTURES OF THE "2005" TL :

I have now 1246 (love the TL and can't stop collecting pictures of it). I looked at the 56 on the Hondanews website and I have the exact same ones in my gallery. Mine are dated 2003 october 19.

So now, please stop telling those are 2005 pics... it's not!

...and the red is the redondo red... not the new one.

Agree with you... but you ain't the first guy saying so.

I collect all the pics, too... since last summer.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by needtlnow
so they fixed vibration problems in TL 2005 I presume?

What problem/vibration are you pointing to? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:01 PM
TL - KEJ

NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS (NVH) CONTROL in 2005

I cut and pasted the following from one of links titled "2005 Acura TL Body".

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3011?m...48406&mime=asc

Is this new for 2005? If so, then maybe the 2005 TL will be much better in terms of rattles & vibration.
NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS (NVH) CONTROL
An assortment of anti-NVH measures includes advanced aerodynamic design, the first U.S.-market use of automotive acoustic glass with shade band, insulating panels under the hood and inside the trunk and the fenders.

Key NVH countermeasure areas include:

Acoustically tuned glass windshield

To reduce cabin noise, the TL windshield is made of 4.7 mm thick acoustic glass, which consists of two layers of safety glass, separated by a thin acoustic resin center. This represents the first time that acoustic glass with a shade band has been applied to a luxury vehicle in North America. The windshield reduces road noise on smooth asphalt significantly in the higher frequency ranges. To reduce noise intrusion through the side glass, the front and rear movable door glass is 5 mm thick.

Thinsulate

Patented by 3M, Thinsulate(TM) insulation was developed for thermal applications but it is also ideal for noise reduction. It is crushable and can be used in tight-clearance areas. In the TL it is used behind the door liners, rear seat side garnishes, center console, rear seatback and front and rear pillar garnishes. It is also used under the instrument panel and parcel tray.

Trunk

Engineers treated the trunk as an acoustic package, containing the speaker array and trunk hinges and springs in a rigid box structure. This improves audio bass performance, reduces interior noise levels, enhances the appearance of the trunk interior, and reduces the chance that belongings will be damaged by a speaker or hinge.
VH reduction item

Aluminum-alloy front subframe
Improved melt sheet package
Improved A-pillar shape
Diffuser type mirrors with full seals
5 mm side glass
Hood insulator
Improved door-handle sealing
Flush-mount moonroof
Besides its low mass, the TL aluminum-alloy front subframe reduces "starting boom" (resonance noise) without the use of additional dampers.

Melt Sheet
The careful application of high-density melt sheet makes a huge reduction in high-frequency sound. Testing results show it reduces the high frequency (approx. 500Hz and above) vibration of the TL floor panels, decreasing noise inside the vehicle.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TLKEJ
I cut and pasted the following from one of links titled "2005 Acura TL Body".

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3011?m...48406&mime=asc

Is this new for 2005? If so, then maybe the 2005 TL will be much better in terms of rattles & vibration.
An assortment of anti-NVH measures includes advanced aerodynamic design, the first U.S.-market use of automotive acoustic glass with shade band, insulating panels under the hood and inside the trunk and the fenders.

To reduce cabin noise, the TL windshield is made of 4.7 mm thick acoustic glass, which consists of two layers of safety glass, separated by a thin acoustic resin center. This represents the first time that acoustic glass with a shade band has been applied to a luxury vehicle in North America. The windshield reduces road noise on smooth asphalt significantly in the higher frequency ranges. To reduce noise intrusion through the side glass, the front and rear movable door glass is 5 mm thick.

Thinsulate

Patented by 3M, Thinsulate(TM) insulation was developed for thermal applications but it is also ideal for noise reduction. It is crushable and can be used in tight-clearance areas. In the TL it is used behind the door liners, rear seat side garnishes, center console, rear seatback and front and rear pillar garnishes. It is also used under the instrument panel and parcel tray.

Trunk

Engineers treated the trunk as an acoustic package, containing the speaker array and trunk hinges and springs in a rigid box structure. This improves audio bass performance, reduces interior noise levels, enhances the appearance of the trunk interior, and reduces the chance that belongings will be damaged by a speaker or hinge.
VH reduction item

Improved melt sheet package
Improved A-pillar shape
Diffuser type mirrors with full seals
5 mm side glass
Hood insulator
Improved door-handle sealing
Flush-mount moonroof
Besides its low mass, the TL aluminum-alloy front subframe reduces "starting boom" (resonance noise) without the use of additional dampers.

Melt Sheet
The careful application of high-density melt sheet makes a huge reduction in high-frequency sound. Testing results show it reduces the high frequency (approx. 500Hz and above) vibration of the TL floor panels, decreasing noise inside the vehicle.

I have to check my 04 Tech data, but what it says there seems pretty identical to 04TL's. I'll get reply to you tonight.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Appendix...

This isn't trying to remedy anyone's words, but just attemp to help folks know how identical 04 and 05 are. And, you could imagine how much saving and profit this 3G TLs have been bringing to Acura by simply rewrite their statement/repost their pics/reproduce this car.

2004TL

Substantial improvements in noise, vibration and harshness were made over the previous TL. Measures include advanced aerodynamic design, the first U.S.-market use of automotive acoustic glass with shade band, insulating panels under the hood and inside the trunk and the fenders.

Internal testing shows that the 2004 TL has less higher-frequency wind noise at the driver passenger "ear point" than the Audi A4, BMW 330i, BMW 530i, Infiniti G35, Lexus ES 300 and Mercedes-Benz C320. It is also measurably improved over the previous TL.

2005TL

2004TL
Key 2004 TL NVH countermeasure areas include:

To reduce noise in the cabin the 2004 TL windshield is made of 4.7 mm thick acoustic glass, which consists of two layers of safety glass, separated by a thin acoustic resin center. This represents the first time that acoustic glass has been applied to a luxury vehicle in North America with a shade band. The new windshield reduces road noise on smooth asphalt significantly in the higher frequency ranges. To reduce noise intrusion through the side glass, the front and rear movable door glass is 5 mm thick compared to 3.5 mm for the previous TL.

2005TL

2004TL
Thinsulate

2005TL
Thinsulate

2004TL
Trunk

Engineers treated the trunk as an acoustic package, containing the speaker array and trunk hinges and springs in a rigid box structure. This improves audio bass performance, enhances reduces interior noise levels, enhances the appearance of the trunk interior, and reduces the chance that belongings will be damaged by a speaker or hinge.

2005TL
Trunk

2004TL
VH reduction items

· Aluminum-alloy front subframe
· Improved melt sheet package
· Improved A-pillar shape
· Diffuser type mirrors with full seals
· 5 mm side glass (vs. 3.5 mm on previous TL)
· Hood insulator
· Improved door-handle sealing
· Flush-mount moonroof

2005TL
VH reduction item

. Aluminum-alloy front subframe
. Improved melt sheet package
. Improved A-pillar shape
. Diffuser type mirrors with full seals
. 5 mm side glass
. Hood insulator
. Improved door-handle sealing
. Flush-mount moonroof

2004TL

2005TL

2004TL
Melt Sheet

The careful application of high-density melt sheet makes a huge reduction in high-frequency sound. Testing results shows it reduces the high frequency (approx. 500Hz and above) vibration of the TL floor panels, decreasing noise inside the vehicle.

2005TL
Melt Sheet

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93381
Old 09-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Racer

new car and driver said the 05 gets no changes. i dont know if they are as meticulous as we are. but they speciafically said no changes. they did mention a 10 horsepower increase in the rsx. so im assuming anything as exciting or more, they would have mentioned for the tl
Old 09-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Any more word on the tires?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Harmonic vibration (resonance of exhaust)

I'm not sure if this is true, but just pass the info here...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=46

GTFISH said: "Meet with a district service manager and he said that there is a harmonic vibration issue with 04 TL's that has been fixed in 05 models and that Acura is working on some sort of fix for the issue. We are giving it a few weeks and then will re-visit to discuss Acura trading me out of this car for a 05 model."
Old 09-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by subframe3
Any more word on the tires?
There is a rumor that Michelins will be on NAVI units only and BS will stay on non-navis. Supposedly this was from ACS reps. I doubt this as it makes no sense that NAVI/non-navi tires should be different.

I DO know that in the Acura press releases from last week, the BS tires are still listed as OEM for 2005 TLs in TWO separate releases.

#1 - See this link under Chassis Specs

#2 - Look halfway down the press release
Old 09-09-2004, 12:33 AM
Intermediate

Just got the October 2005 New Cars issue of Road & Track. Nothing new, but strong praise nonetheless...

"If you want to know what Acura is all about, then drive the TL. This front-drive sports sedan is arguably the most refined, well-engineered car on the planet. As soon as this car hit the marketplace in 2003, it became--and continues to be--Acura's best-selling vehicle. It features a 270-bhp V-6 and sport-tuned suspension. Among amenities is a top-flight DVD-audio system. For 2005, the TL gets safety enhancements that include front seatbelt buckles mounted to the frame and side airbag sensors."
Old 09-09-2004, 01:55 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is quoted from acuranews.com

did we really have "Side-window defoggers" in the 04, i wasnt sure
Old 09-09-2004, 02:24 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mastertl
This is quoted from acuranews.com

did we really have "Side-window defoggers" in the 04, i wasnt sure
Yes we do, just about every honda has had them from the mid 80's, they are little vents aimed at the side windows (front ones) and work when the front defog is on (sometimes when vent or heat is on also).
Old 09-09-2004, 02:36 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brokedoc
There is a rumor that Michelins will be on NAVI units only and BS will stay on non-navis. Supposedly this was from ACS reps. I doubt this as it makes no sense that NAVI/non-navi tires should be different.

I DO know that in the Acura press releases from last week, the BS tires are still listed as OEM for 2005 TLs in TWO separate releases.

#1 - See this link under Chassis Specs

#2 - Look halfway down the press release
I did read in one of the releases, that the Navi does get Michelins, it is in the release somewhere.

here is the quote:

TIRES

Bridgestone 17-inch all-season high-performance tires were developed for the TL. The standard tire is P235/45R17 M+S (all-season), with 235/45R17 high-performance tires available for the TL with 6-speed manual transmission.
Navigation system-equipped models without the optional high performance tires are shod with Michelin all-season tires.[/

Here is the link:

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3014?m...48344&mime=asc look way at the bottom for the tire section
Old 09-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by need4spd
I did read in one of the releases, that the Navi does get Michelins, it is in the release somewhere.

here is the quote:

TIRES

Bridgestone 17-inch all-season high-performance tires were developed for the TL. The standard tire is P235/45R17 M+S (all-season), with 235/45R17 high-performance tires available for the TL with 6-speed manual transmission.
Navigation system-equipped models without the optional high performance tires are shod with Michelin all-season tires.[/

Here is the link:

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3014?m...48344&mime=asc look way at the bottom for the tire section
OK, 3 press releases with two different sets of facts.
For Acura's sake, I hope they do switch back to Michelin.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm very happy with my Falkens. Drove through deep puddles at 60-65 mph during the recent floods we've had in NY and I never felt like I was losing control.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Cruisin'

I believe the 05 Navis will get Michelins of some kind. I was trying to get my dealer to replace the EL42s, and I said "well Acura sees a big enough problem with them to not use them on the Navi models for 05" to which he responded "that's just to help the Navi sales a little." It is widely known there is no problem selling Navi models so obviously he was, er, taking some liberties with the truth. Mainly I'm raising it here because he did NOT say "no that's wrong! where did you get that?" He just confirmed it.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Slicker Than Your Average

In the words of Mr. Burns," . . . EEEXXXCCCEEELLLEEENNNTTT . . . "
Old 09-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Slicker Than Your Average

In the words of Mr. Burns, " . . . EEEXXXCCCEEELLLEEENNNTTT . . . "
Old 09-09-2004, 04:03 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by need4spd
Yes we do, just about every honda has had them from the mid 80's, they are little vents aimed at the side windows (front ones) and work when the front defog is on (sometimes when vent or heat is on also).
damn...i thot they mean like those warming things that you have on the rear windsheild. stupid me
Old 09-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Group Gratitude!

Originally Posted by rets
NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS (NVH) CONTROL comparisons between 2004 and 2005.
Rets:

Thanks from all of us for the amazing amount of research and time spent to show us the difference (sameness) between 2004 TL and 2005 TL.

It's dedication like that and a concern for members AND a love for our cars that make this forum stand out head and shoulders above the others.

Rep Points for Rets!

XP
Old 09-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Polly want a cracker?

Originally Posted by Gepetto
I believe the 05 Navis will get Michelins of some kind. I was trying to get my dealer to replace the EL42s, and I said "well Acura sees a big enough problem with them to not use them on the Navi models for 05" to which he responded "that's just to help the Navi sales a little." It is widely known there is no problem selling Navi models so obviously he was, er, taking some liberties with the truth. Mainly I'm raising it here because he did NOT say "no that's wrong! where did you get that?" He just confirmed it.
Sometimes I think the "Dealer" (read: sales person/service writer) is parroting what was told to him by the factory reps. Most of them are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Most of us enthusiasts, IMO, know more about the cars than they do.

I educate the GM about something everytime I stop in for coffee.

I was showing my brother-in-law the features of a new TL at the Vegas dealer - demonstrating the HFL and the Navi while the salesman watched from the back seat. His mouth was hanging open. "I didn't know that! Show me that again!"

He said they sub-contract to a private firm to make the delivery of the new cars and to explain all the features to new buyers. He said it takes about an hour. (Hmmm: maybe a new job opportunity there?)

I know that when I take someone for a ride in my TL to show it to them, I need at least 45 minutes and I still don't show them all the features. It's like an old "C" ticket at Disney World.

XP
Old 09-10-2004, 06:10 AM
Cruisin'

I agree completely, XP. As another example, while on the test drive I said "so have there been any tranny issues like on the 2G?" knowing--thanks to this excellent forum--that there had been a TSB issued on 2nd gear inspection. The guy says "no, they fixed all those problems." Now, either he was taking more liberties with the truth, or was just not knowledgable. To me it's inconsequential, and not unexpected. I expect them to lie or be uninformed, which is why I do my own research. For this kind of dough, we all need to have the knowledge playing field be as level as possible. The internet and forums like these give us to the tools we need.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

Another change for '05

Looking at the specs for the '05 here, it appears that another change is that the HandsFreeLink wireless phone capability is now standard. In the '04, it only comes with the NAVI package.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by bcbcbc
Looking at the specs for the '05 here, it appears that another change is that the HandsFreeLink wireless phone capability is now standard. In the '04, it only comes with the NAVI package.

HFL? I think 04TL (Navi & non-Navi) all have HFL...

Navi, solar sensor and voice recognition system are the only difference between Navi and Non-Navi. Am I right?

Welcome to the forum

Edit: I forgot you talked about Canadian model. My bad.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:28 PM
2nd Gear

US vs Canadian specs

Sorry - I was looking at the Canadian TL specs - apparently there is difference in the packaging of options. In Canada, there are 3 "packages" of TL - base, NAVI and Power. In MY2004, only the NAVI and Power packages include HFL. So I was comparing US MY2005 specs to the MY2004 Canadian specs. I guess it's possible that the 2005 Canadian spec will include HFL in the base package.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:30 PM
8th Gear

I've been reading alot of replies to this thread and see that a lot of people say it doesn't look like there will be any signal lights on the side mirrors. I say GOOD!!! I think lights on the side mirrors would only cheapen the look of the TL. I realize that's just my opinion, however, the TL is a luxurious looking car inside and out and believe that it would look tacky.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Acura aficionado

Originally Posted by rets
Navi, solar sensor and voice recognition system are the only difference between Navi and Non-Navi. Am I right?
The non-Navi's have a limited version of the voice recognition system -- it's used to configure the HFL.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed if you go to Acuras website and go to the comparison screen for the TL,
that it brings up the 05 tl as a comparison model. No prices, just specs.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Racer

i dont see this. i dont see anything that talks about 05 tl's on acura.com
Old 09-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by superballs
Go to Acuranews.com
Old 09-14-2004, 08:43 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally Posted by superballs
It's on www.acura.com in the car comparison:

http://www.acura.com/models/model_co....asp?module=tl

I compared a 2004 TL to a 2005 TL and noticed a couple of changes:

the 2005 weighs less, has a larger trunk, and is shorter than the 2004 (this doesn't make any sense). For tires, instead of Turanza, the following are listed:

SBRP235/45R17 93W, Bridgestone All-Season Tires

City fuel economy is down.

-phil
Old 09-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by PhilB
It's on www.acura.com in the car comparison:

http://www.acura.com/models/model_co....asp?module=tl

I compared a 2004 TL to a 2005 TL and noticed a couple of changes:

the 2005 weighs less, has a larger trunk, and is shorter than the 2004 (this doesn't make any sense). For tires, instead of Turanza, the following are listed:

SBRP235/45R17 93W, Bridgestone All-Season Tires

City fuel economy is down.

-phil

That comparison chart is never completely accurate before.

We know the length of TL has two verisons of size since Day 1, (186 or 189). And, based on Honda/Acura press release, EPA for City is the same, but EPA for highway, 5AT is up and 6MT is down.

Trunk space...

Edit: Ok, the initial EPA info was wrong, 04 & 05 could be identical. But, why Acura.com states the same 20/29??

Quick Reply: "Official" 2005 TL changes?