Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oem Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oem Rotors?

What is the OEM size of the rotors for the front and the rear?

Is it safe if I go over the recommended rotors size? What rotors brand are the best that won't rust dust and squeak? Please give me some advice. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
:shakehead

wow
Old 06-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you cant just buy different size rotors for the car!!!!- all normal replacements are for the correct same size.
Anything else will cost you 2 grand, and is known as a BBK Big Brake Kit- even that needs bigger rims to clear the new larger diameter rotors and the new calipers are bigger too

You can use Duplicolor caliper paint KIT $10, and put on the edges of the rotor and the center edge where the brake pads dont touch it too. That will keep most of the rust off them
many of us do that

Type of Brake pads, rotor condition and how you drive, all contribute to noises and brake dust.
Ceramic pads offer the least potential for noises in stop and go traffic
Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission

wow

Hey now, we all gotta learn how this stuff works. He's a young guy.

Marcus
Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sondinh

Is it safe if I go over the recommended rotors size? What rotors brand are the best that won't rust dust and squeak? Please give me some advice. Thank you.
OK, I'll bite....

- The only way you can increase the rotor size is to increase several other components - rims included...

- I wont go into different brands due to if they are metal, they will rust (and we are talking typical aftermarket here).

- It's not the rotors that dust and squeak, it's the brake pads (rotor condition will play a part) etc..

-- As most will say extremely kindly after me,,, time for some major searching here on Acurazine. Numerous discussions/threads can be found on rotor/brake modifications etc.. OEM dimensions included.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Here is a link to the SEARCH page:

https://acurazine.com/forums/search.php

Use it wisely young Skywalker. :lol:
Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission

wow
+1

Originally Posted by MrHeelToe

Hey now, we all gotta learn how this stuff works. He's a young guy.

Marcus
Yeah, we assumed that the first 50 billion threads he started without searching
Old 06-11-2008, 11:36 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
OK, I'll bite....

- The only way you can increase the rotor size is to increase several other components - rims included...

- I wont go into different brands due to if they are metal, they will rust (and we are talking typical aftermarket here).

- It's not the rotors that dust and squeak, it's the brake pads (rotor condition will play a part) etc..

-- As most will say extremely kindly after me,,, time for some major searching here on Acurazine. Numerous discussions/threads can be found on rotor/brake modifications etc.. OEM dimensions included.

Good luck
X 2......

If you do get bigger rotors without anything else you will quickly find you can't really use them as the stock caliper mounting brackets will not work......
Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
+1

Yeah, we assumed that the first 50 billion threads he started without searching

I can sympathize with him. I got a BMW a few months ago and have a lot of questions and do a lot of fruitless searching. You know the answers are out there but sometimes you don't know where to find them, or even if you know where, what search string to use.

In the end, I have a lot of questions that go unanswered simply because I want to avoid the old "do a search" response, which is neither helpful nor constructive.

Anyway, we are working on confirming a 4 and 6 pot kit that will work under 17s, but we are not sure if they will work under OEM 17s. We don't have a stock caliper/large rotor combo available yet but one may be in the works.

All rotors are cast, and all will have at a minimum surface rusting. The deep pitting and oxidation of stock rotors can be quelled with rotors that have special coatings on them. It doesn't completely get rid of a drusty color, but the rotors themselves will not rust.

To reduce dusting you do need to look at different pads although you probably won't have much luck. Most street pads won't make noise if they are bedded and maintained properly. If you have stock stuff and are getting squeaking you need to do some rebedding as your rotors are probably slightly glazed. It also freshens the pad surface.

Do you have Brembos? I know, I should search :P
Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sondinh

TOO SMALL - by 2008 "performance sedan" standard:

Base TL: 11.8" F/11.1" R (same as current generation Accords!)

6 speed and all Type S cars: 12.2" F/11.1" R.

The latest gen Honda CRV's total rotor area is comparable to a TL Type S's, even though the CRV is both lighter and much slower.

The fancy Brembos used on the 6 speed and Type S cars are little more than a marketing gimmick. They provide better modulation, but this isn't the type of car that can be driven easily at/near the limit in the first place.

Twin piston sliding calipers (like those used in base model 'Vettes) and larger rotors (e.g. 13"F, 12" R) would have yielding better braking performance for less money.

Don't let ROAD AND TRACK'S 1 time stops from 60 MPH fool you. Virtually any car can lock all four tires at that speed, so 1 time stopping distances from that speed say a lot more about the tires and ABS algorithms then they say about real stopping power.

Your rotors are the primary heat sink for the braking system. They much be heavy and large in diameter in order to dissipate large quantities of heat and the larger diameter provides superior braking torque, which yields more stopping power at any given wheel speed.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by harddrivin1le
TOO SMALL - by 2008 "performance sedan" standard:

Base TL: 11.8" F/11.1" R (same as current generation Accords!)

6 speed and all Type S cars: 12.2" F/11.1" R.

The latest gen Honda CRV's total rotor area is comparable to a TL Type S's, even though the CRV is both lighter and much slower.

The fancy Brembos used on the 6 speed and Type S cars are little more than a marketing gimmick. They provide better modulation, but this isn't the type of car that can be driven easily at/near the limit in the first place.

Twin piston sliding calipers (like those used in base model 'Vettes) and larger rotors (e.g. 13"F, 12" R) would have yielding better braking performance for less money.

Don't let ROAD AND TRACK'S 1 time stops from 60 MPH fool you. Virtually any car can lock all four tires at that speed, so 1 time stopping distances from that speed say a lot more about the tires and ABS algorithms then they say about real stopping power.

Your rotors are the primary heat sink for the braking system. They much be heavy and large in diameter in order to dissipate large quantities of heat and the larger diameter provides superior braking torque, which yields more stopping power at any given wheel speed.
GET A LIFE!!

Originally Posted by Locomaaan
this is a video of me driving my 2007 TL-S at a tracking event. this was taken
june 30/2007 and at this point my car was bonestock. right now i have a AEM CAI and i love it. well worth the money i paid. enjoy and let me know what u think. oh yea and btw in the video i made a BMW M3 surrender and let me pass hehe he wasnt very skilled but nonetheless its an M3 and i gave him a run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXZai5h1xI

actually the stock tires and the brakes held up REALLY well! im so impressed with this car. suspension is marvelous and the LSD really helps a lot. BTW im still on the same tires i got 40% tread left.

that was the first and only time on that track . ive been to one other witht he TL but i cant find the video. i hope i can find it cuz its me chasing an STI and he cant lose me, felt goood!

i was and still am on the same set of stock all season michellen pilots. i would do about 5-7 laps then park the car in the pit for about 20 min to cool down. while i was on the track i didnt notice any fade at all and as you can see i was driving pretty hard. the brembos are great