Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC parking

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC parking

Well, the bad luck continues with my NBP/Camel/6MT. Nothing like headliners or rattles, but just as anoying... At 2,000 miles, a rock or bolt off a truck scraped the hood, just up from where my new clear bra ends (), along with damaging the windshield. Then, on road trip deux, after riding the commuter train from Jersey to NYC, decided to drive in and park. Found a good-looking, clean garage, and it only cost $13. Made it through a torrential thunderstorm onto the GW Bridge, and all seemed well. Only when I stopped to buy gas did I notice the BIG DENT in the trunk and popped bumper. One of the parking monkeys must have backed into it with a pickup truck or SUV. Why didn't I notice earlier (at the garage)? I was so relieved the car looked o.k. that I blamed myself for being suspicious.

Repair estimates in the $1,500-$2,000 range, depending if they can knock the bump out of the trunk lid. (Well above my $500 deductable).

I actually tried to search the forums before the trip for advice about NYC parking, but it was the past weekend of upgrading... I'd consider driving into Manhattan again, but I'd handle the parking differently (warn the garage to be careful and check for damage apres). Dunno how they would have handled this if I'd noticed...
Old 08-14-2004, 11:20 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never park in the garages where they have to park it for you. They just don't care about your car. I try not to drive to Manhattan. The parking is crazy.

What part of Manhattan is this? Try looking for a garage where you can park your car yourself.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
That's a sad story. I never drive my TL into Manhattan. You're just asking for trouble. If it's any consolation, had you noticed the dent before you pulled out of the garage you would not have gotten any compensation for it. You park in garages at your own risk. If you plan on driving into Manhattan often, consider lowering your deductible.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

If I were you I would try to find shop to do it for $1000-$1250 and NOT file it on your insurance. As I am from a family of insurance agents and adjusters, and am a PI lawyers dealing with property damage insurance all the time, if you file a claim, you are going to have a good chance of getting jacked at renewal time. Look at it like this, you are talking about an extra $500-$1000 out of pocket. If you have ONE more incident like this (or worse) then they will either drop you or raise your rate, I would save making a claim for when you are WAY above your deductible, or else you will be paying $1000 more a year for 3 years.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

This is what I park in the city.

Would YOU mess with it??

Regards,
Old 08-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Team Anthracite

We don't go into the city (from NJ) much, but when we do, I will rent a wreck from Wrent-a-Wreck, and take that into the city instead of my TL or my wife's 330xi BMW.

My wife will laugh, and it will re-confirm perhaps just how un-firm I am, but $30 out of pocket now, is more than worth the $1500 to $2000 dollars worth of agravation, plus perhaps the actual outlay of $$$$ I might get by having to tell a similar "garage" story.....don't ya think?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Racer

My quick story about Manhattan parking garages:

A couple of years back a friend of a friend parked their new MB E430 in a midtown garage for a Broadway show. He became violently ill early into the show and had to leave.

When he got to the garage, the valets kept making excuses about not being able to find the car, the car was parked behind other cars and would take a while to get out, they couldn't find the key, etc.

He called the cops and when the cops went to look, the valets had the guy's new engine up on a hoist with some used engine on the side ready to pop in. If he never got sick, he may have never known...and even if he discovered the swapped-out engine, he would have never known how or where it happened.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Thanks to all for the sympathy and advice. 6mtV6: the garage was at 87th/Lexington (no self-parks near here! I could park far out and take a subway, but then I might as well have left it in New Jersey at the Hilton Garden Inn! narnia: I know parking is at your own risk, but the attendant sure looked over the car carefully when I came in, and I'm sure the big companies don't like irate complaints too much (well, it is NYC, so maybe they do like them!) oulaw29: My instinct too is to avoid a claim (that's why I'm trying touch up paint on the hood instead of making a claim and getting it repainted and a new clear bra). But my ins. co. (Amica) says no rate rises for not-at-fault accidents, and they probably want to keep me as a customer (two cars and a house; only one other claim in four years). leeherman: I could drive the 94 Integra to NYC, but won’t. I got the TL for highway trips (including ski trips), and don’t want to sacrifice the comfort and safety the TL provides to avoid dents and dings (of course, if I lived in LI as you do, I’d surely take the ‘tegra to town!)
Old 08-14-2004, 03:56 PM
MNP
Intermediate

If it's convenient, park at the Lincoln Center park and lock.. under the Metropolitan Opera. It's more expensive (although cheaper if you're doing a weekday/daytime thing) but not only can you park yourself, you can pick a spot next to a pillar making it virtually impossible for someone to clip you with their door. I park my TL there all the time.. it's very civilized. Just make sure you look up to the ceiling in your parking space--there are a few spots that drip this resiny crap down from the pipes.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:14 PM
5th Gear

I feel for you

If you really have to park your car in a garage next time, just tip them $5 - $10 when you drop off the car. They will always give your car extra care. They'll keep your care in the front of the lot and always from most of the other cars. Tipping at pickup time will not be need, because you tipped them at drop-off.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:39 PM
I6

You give one of the parking attendents a $5-$10 tip but what about the other parking attendents?
Old 08-15-2004, 07:03 AM
Advanced

best options for NYC visit

1. stay in suburb, leave car at hotel, take train
problem is finding a good hotel (and getting to the station)

Secaucas/Meadowlands NJ looks o.k. (close to Manhattan, good hotels)
White Plains also o.k. (better ambience I guess)
Hilton Woodbridge (walk to MetroPark, but nearly as pricey as Manhattan)

2. stay in suburb, leave car at commuter lot, take train
Rahway NJ has meter lots (25 cents an hour, 12 hour minimum = $3)
other suggestions?

3. stay in suburb, drive to Manhattan, park at Lincoln Center (thanks MNP!)
quicker, but not convenient if it involves rush hour!

4. stay in suburb, Rent-A-Wreck, park in Manhattan (thanks arkk)
but where do you leave the TL? at a Rent-A-Wreck parking lot?

5. fly into Newark or Kennedy (Jet Blue), stay in Manhattan
costs the most, but TL is safest

6. stay in suburb, park in Manhattan, tip attendant (thanks DCHIN)
might work, but might not?

ALL of these options would be better than what I did!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Pro

With regard to my trips into NYC, three words: New Jersey Transit!!!

I've had my Maxima for 2 1/2 years and have only drove into the city twice (from Somerset, NJ); even then, I've never parked it there.

The Chrysler Imperial Leeherman posted is the ideal ride into NYC if you've gotta drive.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Team Anthracite

Narikin. Take the 330xi (with wife) to pick up the car at Wrent-a-Wreck. Go home, park the 330xi in the garage next to your TL and go into "the city".

Next day, have wife follow you to the Wrent-a-Wreck, drop off the wreck, and go home with the wife. Following day, take your unharmed TL out of the garage and go about your business. Simple no?

Alan
Old 08-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Advanced

it's about the TL!

Alan (arkk) wrote:
Take the 330xi (with wife) to pick up the car at Wrent-a-Wreck. Go home, park the 330xi in the garage next to your TL and go into "the city".

O.K., Alan, I'm game. I actually don't need to use your BMW (or take your wife!), but I need to know where you and your garage are, so I can park my TL there after wrenting the reck!

After all, if I rented the wreck near MY home, and drove it five hours to NYC, this thread wouldn't be about TLs but what I'm afraid it's becoming: another off-topic riff on modern life!
Old 08-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Team Anthracite

Well you might be right, however you started it, and we are just responding.

If you would like, next time you are heading to NYC you are more than welcome to come to my home and leave your TL there. I will drive you to the wreck place in my TL, and when you are ready, you can come back to my house or I can meet you at the wreck place. I will then drive you back to the property so you can get your TL.

Would that suite you needs for protecting your TL?

I live 20 miles or so East of the Delaware Water Gap, off Rt 80.

Alan
Old 08-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Advanced

arkk wrote:
If you would like, next time you are heading to NYC you are more than welcome to come to my home and leave your TL there.

Wow, Alan! What a surprising and considerate offer.
This really is a community of sorts I guess!

I'm still not sure what I'll actually do next time, but thanks for the kindness.