Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY Driver's Lic. Speeding ticket in CT

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 08:22 PM
A-SPEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY Driver's Lic. Speeding ticket in CT

Unfortunately i got my first speeding ticket in CT doing 85MPH in 65MPH zone.
$284 dollars for the ticket, no show in traffic court.

Does anyone know if this speeding ticket will be transferred to NY for points?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Racer

Yes. There is a national database used by all the states now.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:12 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Where did you get stopped?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:53 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by simonsez
Unfortunately i got my first speeding ticket in CT doing 85MPH in 65MPH zone.
$284 dollars for the ticket, no show in traffic court.

Does anyone know if this speeding ticket will be transferred to NY for points?
I work in CT and live in MA and 85 seems to be the speed limit on both 91 and 84, were you on 95 or the Merrit??...both those 2 roads seem to be the ones that cops don't tolerate speeders....
Old 05-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Ur Mutha She Stinks!!

Originally Posted by chfields
Yes. There is a national database used by all the states now.
since when did thise come into action? from what i heard only the tri-state area is on the same system.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Racer

It has been in effect for several years. It tracks any tickets anywhere in the USA. Big brother is watching....
Old 05-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry, above poster is wrong. Go to NYDMV website. out of state tickets ARE NOT transferred into NY.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Cruisin'

points wont be transfered as the offense didnt occur in NY state. if you dont plan on going back to CT ever again you dont have to pay the ticket but your lic will be suspended in CT. you can still drive in NY legally as they dont care who you owe money as long as its not them
Old 05-08-2006, 02:14 AM
Riu
2004 TL

Shit lol. Tomorrow I leave school and hit all the major roads in CT. I better not get a ticket lol. Never got one yet.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by straightbacon
points wont be transfered as the offense didnt occur in NY state. if you dont plan on going back to CT ever again you dont have to pay the ticket but your lic will be suspended in CT. you can still drive in NY legally as they dont care who you owe money as long as its not them
I don't think this is quite that easy.
About 15 years ago, I got a $20 parking ticket in Rhode Island. I figured that since I was not returning to RI anytime soon, I did not have to pay this minor ticket. We'll a few months later, I got a letter from RI saying that I better pay ($60 now). This meant that RI DMV had to find my address through NYS DMV. Nowadays, I am sure states will go to extremes to get their money. They willl hound you.

I think the best way to avoid your resident state from finding out about an out-of-state ticket, is to quickly pay the ticket. This way, they have to reason to go looking for you thru your local DMV. This will keep your insurance from rising.
When younger, I got about 7 speeding tickets, mostly out of state. None appeared on my NYS driver's license, because I pay the tkts quickly.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:47 AM
A-SPEC

Originally Posted by Neech
Where did you get stopped?

I was on I95 in Old Saybrook.
There is a wideroad bridge (but not a long bridge) and I stepped on the gas on the uphill of the bridge because some cadillac was tailgating me.. then.. bam! i saw the cop hiding behind bushes...

fugging caddy..

cop was saying he pulled me over for speeding at 85MPH to 87MPH, saying he can arrest me if it was 87MPH... but wrote me a tickte for 85MPH which is 20+ MPH from speeding limit.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Miss you :(

I got a ticket in MA for a 75 in a 55 4 years ago. I was also a no show at court and MA kept sending me letters. The last letter basically said that if I step foot in MA and are caught that I would go to jail.
The points and the ticket NEVER showed up on my license nor my insurance.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:31 AM
A-SPEC

Originally Posted by Ramairgt1
I got a ticket in MA for a 75 in a 55 4 years ago. I was also a no show at court and MA kept sending me letters. The last letter basically said that if I step foot in MA and are caught that I would go to jail.
The points and the ticket NEVER showed up on my license nor my insurance.
So, are u saying you never paid the violation ticket from 4 years ago? how much was it?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Miss you :(

no i did not pay the ticket and I still have all the letters they had sent me.
The ticket was $230 i believe, in MA they write the fine right on the ticket
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 AM
A-SPEC

yeah mine too. i got pulled over yesterday. $284 due 5/19/06.... damn it
Old 05-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Banned

I'm another New Yorker.. The speeding tickets don't transfer.. only 6 states out of 50 really matter..CT's not one of them.. .I've had 10+ speeding tickets, and 4 parking tickets from all over the place.. even places like boston, MA, Baltimore, MD and all over West Virginia and Pennyslvania... even here in RI, I got a ticket for going 110 in a 55... yeah. i know. don't even say it....if it really did "transfer" as others say, then I wouldn't have a license by now. So there's your answer.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:41 AM
A-SPEC

would it be stupid not to pay the fine?
or even plea not guilty? lol .. i dont know.. this speeding ticket was so stupid..
Old 05-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

Originally Posted by joe80055
I'm another New Yorker.. The speeding tickets don't transfer.. only 6 states out of 50 really matter..CT's not one of them.. .I've had 10+ speeding tickets, and 4 parking tickets from all over the place.. even places like boston, MA, Baltimore, MD and all over West Virginia and Pennyslvania... even here in RI, I got a ticket for going 110 in a 55... yeah. i know. don't even say it....if it really did "transfer" as others say, then I wouldn't have a license by now. So there's your answer.

Okay so there are arguments from both sides of the situation. I can tell you from my PERSONAL experience (see below for details) that the ticket WILL CATCH UP TO YOU!

Cliff notes:
-Friend has open container
- I am driving and get stopped in NH BY a NHSP Trooper
-no one fesses up to the container
-I get the charge..(since I'm driving)
-never went to court..(state of emergency in MA..NOT NH)
-No show in court results in AUTOMATIC SUSPENSION
-got popped doing 140 in a 65 in my "hybrid"
-open container charge came back, along with FRESH speeding charges
-$1800 later i got my license, my hybrid, and my dignity back!

A few years later...

-MA DMV "gets wind" of my suspension (that was already taken care of) in NH.
-MA DMV inform me of Reciprocity Law. ( Basicly you get suspended in one state, you are suspended in all states)
-Another fine for $1500.. fought it in the DMV Courts in Boston and won!
-License was still suspended for 30 Days in MA.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Advanced

"Transfer" to your home state is only half the issue. Even if it doesn't, your insurance company will likely find out about it and bump your rates.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Some states and provinces are part of the various driver's license compacts, some are not. Some states also limit what they recognize from out-of-state—for example, I live in Virginia and work in DC, and if I get nailed by photo radar or a red-light camera in DC, I do not run the risk of a license suspension in Virginia if I don't pay up (but I would run the risk of having my DC Bar membership revoked).

Try going to Google or Wikipedia or the National Motorists Association and searching for "Driver's License Compact." There have been a number of different iterations of these things over the years. I believe the feds are trying to make all states sign onto a new one as part of the ongoing effort to make the states issue uniform drivers' licenses.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

HOLD THE SHOW!!!!!

if you pay the ticket on or before the due date, it will not go on your NYS license.

if you contest and lose, or pay late, then 100% that ct. will notify NYS dmv

I have had 4 out of state tix this way, no problem

NJ(2)
n.c.
PA
Old 05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BSK181 is 125% correct
Old 05-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Instructor

reciprocity

Originally Posted by joe80055
Just to chime in a bit. A lot of states have reciprocity with new york. Pennsylvania is one of them. As far as I know, the points wont transfer, but if you have a ny license, and have an outstanding mover in Penn, they can, and usually will come after you, and can subpoena you, and put an alert out for your arrest. Trust me on this, I have had to respond to some. You cant mess around with some of these judges in Penn. They are the ones the fines will get mailed to.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

bottom line is this.
pay= ease of mind, less money to mod car with.
no pay= lic will be suspended ONLY in ct, no points in ny. if you get pulled over in ny you wont get arrested for suspended lic. your insurance will probably get notified of the ticket though. they can not put out an "alert" (i hope you mean warrant?) for your arrest in ny unless you have a mis or felony charge, and unless you owe alot of money or are suspended 40 times on 1 or 2 dates theres no way in hell theyll ask ny to extradite you, it will end up costing them more just in gas, tolls and manpower to come and get you.

so moral of the story. pay, or dont set foot in CT ever again.

Originally Posted by flatfoot
Just to chime in a bit. A lot of states have reciprocity with new york. Pennsylvania is one of them. As far as I know, the points wont transfer, but if you have a ny license, and have an outstanding mover in Penn, they can, and usually will come after you, and can subpoena you, and put an alert out for your arrest. Trust me on this, I have had to respond to some. You cant mess around with some of these judges in Penn. They are the ones the fines will get mailed to.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Ur Mutha She Stinks!!

if you dont pay it ther is a warrant out for your arrest that is posted nation wide i believe. points can not be taken from your lisecne for any out of state tickets even if it is with a state that has some sort of system with NY.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Racer

bottom line is this.
pay= ease of mind, less money to mod car with.
no pay= lic will be suspended ONLY in ct, no points in ny. if you get pulled over in ny you wont get arrested for suspended lic. your insurance will probably get notified of the ticket though. they can not put out an "alert" (i hope you mean warrant?) for your arrest in ny unless you have a mis or felony charge, and unless you owe alot of money or are suspended 40 times on 1 or 2 dates theres no way in hell theyll ask ny to extradite you, it will end up costing them more just in gas, tolls and manpower to come and get you.

so moral of the story. pay, or dont set foot in CT ever again.

Not true!! If you have a suspended license anywhere in the US and get pulled over, it WILL come up when they run your license. I got a ticket in CA for tint, paid the fine. 6 months later I moved to FL and got pulled over and was told I had suspended license for CA. Officer was very nice and didn't ticket me and let me go on my way after I explained situation. I immediately contacted court in CA and they sd I was suspended because I didn't remove tint and show CHP. I explained that I paid ticket and showed proof and they still insisted I had to remove the tint. I explained AGAIN that I was living in FL, after 3 months of wrangling, I finally got it situated.
Now, if you want to take the risk, go ahead....As someone else stated, the points do not transfer, but if you get a warrant or suspension, that will DEFINITELY follow you wherever you go.

Bottom line...pay the tickets you get or pay the penalty.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Instructor

As the that national database, 48 states cooperate. Arizona and Alaska do not participate, which means that when I was an Arizona resident and got pulled over in Wyoming, I had to pay the state trooper the cash fine then and there. That or spend time in jail until I could pay the fine. Called bumper bond.

Back on topic, pay the fine immediately or rally and show up in court. Try to reschedule your date of appearance and hope the officer does not show up. You might need to reschedule several times and hope you are lucky.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 AM
Cruisin'

i wish you read what i wrote before you said not true. i said he wont get arrested in ny. you could be suspended in all other 49 states and still not be arrested. ny does not care they only care if you owe ny state money. no one would even check your lic status anywhere else unless you had an out of state lic. if the original poster has any questions feel free to pm me, do not listen to anyone from out of state about YOUR situation since you live in NY , each state has their own system.

Originally Posted by chfields
Not true!! If you have a suspended license anywhere in the US and get pulled over, it WILL come up when they run your license. I got a ticket in CA for tint, paid the fine. 6 months later I moved to FL and got pulled over and was told I had suspended license for CA. Officer was very nice and didn't ticket me and let me go on my way after I explained situation. I immediately contacted court in CA and they sd I was suspended because I didn't remove tint and show CHP. I explained that I paid ticket and showed proof and they still insisted I had to remove the tint. I explained AGAIN that I was living in FL, after 3 months of wrangling, I finally got it situated.
Now, if you want to take the risk, go ahead....As someone else stated, the points do not transfer, but if you get a warrant or suspension, that will DEFINITELY follow you wherever you go.

Bottom line...pay the tickets you get or pay the penalty.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Racer

i wish you read what i wrote before you said not true. i said he wont get arrested in ny. you could be suspended in all other 49 states and still not be arrested. ny does not care they only care if you owe ny state money. no one would even check your lic status anywhere else unless you had an out of state lic. if the original poster has any questions feel free to pm me, do not listen to anyone from out of state about YOUR situation since you live in NY , each state has their own system.

I find it incredulous, that the NYPD, if they pull you over and run your license, find it suspended, they will not arrest you.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Driving on a suspended license will typically land you in the back of a police car in any state. It will likely result in a ticket in that new state where you are apprehended and may be cause for arrest, depending on why you were stopped!

Seek legal advice from a legal professional, not an internet forum.

Best of luck!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Cruisin'

i am a professional. ny your safe.