Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notice Blind Spots Everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notice Blind Spots Everywhere

Been driving for a few days and have a few rants.

1) I had to remove the back headrest since I couldn't see. Even when switching lanes, both the driver and passenger's sides have blind spots.

2) Scraped the front bumper guard (plastic underneath the front bumper) exiting out of the Acura Dealer****. They need to fix that dip or I need to raise the car. :banghead:

3) Hi/Lo Drivers side seat warmers don't seem to light up when my lights are on. Will have them check it.

4) Hate that the fogs can't be on without the lights.

I have a few others but they are just personal perference. Other than that, I seem to be enjoying the vehicle. Will probably notice some others after a few more weeks/months.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Yea, the rear seat head rests block the view. I lowered mine all the way down and it helped.

RB
Old 12-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Rbraud
Yea, the rear seat head rests block the view. I lowered mine all the way down and it helped.

RB
I too found them blocking my rear view and since 90% of the time I have no rear passengers I took my car's rear headrests off and hung them on the backside of the front seats (slipped the headrest posts inside the map pockets).

Doesn't look too bad.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
never thought to remove them, I too dislike the blindspot they create, otherwise I like the car, and doing the mirror calibration helped with the other blind spots.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Instructor

I noticed the backseat headrest problem on my first test drive & asked if they could be removed. However, in actual driving those headrests aren't the problem. The big problem for me is the DRIVERS headrest and he blindspot it creates when I change from the right to the left lane...
Old 12-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rear headrests are only part of the rear view problem. The real culprit is that great looking high rear end. If you really want to compound the problem get a rear spolier! I have just gotten used it. The A pillar are also pretty thick. This car is built like a tank!
Old 12-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by vtechbrain
The rear headrests are only part of the rear view problem. The real culprit is that great looking high rear end. If you really want to compound the problem get a rear spolier! I have just gotten used it. The A pillar are also pretty thick. This car is built like a tank!
You got it vtechbrain. That high rear end is horrible. It may look great from outside, but not so visible from inside out.

It'll take me some time to get used to it.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Exactly! Even without the headrests the rear window is like a gunslit.

However, the side mirrors are nice and big, which helps. Blind-spot mirrors may also help, though they may look tacky on a car like this with the cool blue tint on the side mirrors .
Old 12-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Advanced

You guys should drive a 300ZX for 10 years.....thats just one big 360 degree blindspot with a car wrapped around it!. Gonna try the headrest in the map pocket trick. I too seldom have passengers.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

Hmmmmm - didn't you folks test drive the car?

Guess I'm just an old f___t but, in addition to throwing the car through some curves and seeing how fast I could make it go, I actually backed it up a few times and checked out visibility during lane changes.

Oh well, I guess I'm not trying hard enough to find things I don't like about the car so I can whine on this forum.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly good to know of build or quality problems. But, blind spot issues - discovering those after purchasing any car isn't the car designers fault.

Why is it on all these car forums, no matter what the make, the complainers seem to overwhelm everything else?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Oh, I noticed the back headrest blindspot & the impact a high trunk has on visibility when I test drove the car (including lots of backing up!) Those "problems" haven't been noticeable to me in the real world though. The large driver's seat headrest has been on lane changes though - it's definitely a bad problem for me...
Old 12-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
No complaints here

But I'm 6'2"; I feel like I have plenty of visibility. Wider A-pillars are something I got used to in my previous car, and well every car of any appreciable size has areas that you just can't see from the driver's seat.

The TL has decent sized mirrors that I can adjust for the normal rear quarter blind spots.

The car is "wedgier" than others I've owned, and so has a higher trunk lid, but I got used to that very quickly.

Mike
Old 12-16-2003, 07:05 PM
whut

Thumbs up

Here's the best way to adjust your side mirrors to avoid blind spots:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...k/blindspo.htm

I've been doing this for years and trust me it works extremely well.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

theslik1,

Kind of useful if you don't care of looking at the sides of your car... However, this will make 04TL's power tilt-down mirrors unable to see the side curbs.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

just adjust the mirrors properly and you eliminate all blind spots
Old 12-16-2003, 08:16 PM
What's a TL?

Damn complainers..I can see everything out of my rear window except small children and old people, and everyone hates old people and kids. As far as I see it, I think Acura has integrated some sort of population control feature into the vehicle. In L.A., the more people I back over, the less can cause traffic on my way to work.

:devil:
Old 12-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Racer

I learned about eliminating the blind spots from a different website. It's the same technique that's discussed here except in a more user friendly format: http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/mirrors.html
Old 12-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Instructor

This is a good tip that really works. I haven't tried it with the TL, but when I have tried it on other cars, there was one drawback: the driver's side mirror is set quite a bit wider than usual; this causes quite a lot of activity on this mirror from traffic coming down on the opposite lane and going past me. Since I equate activity on my mirrors to traffic I really care about, I have to make a conscious effort to ignore this "noise". Maybe one become accustomed to it after a while, but it annoyed me enough that I stopped using this technique after trying a couple of times.
Originally posted by gregory28
I learned about eliminating the blind spots from a different website. It's the same technique that's discussed here except in a more user friendly format: http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/mirrors.html
Old 12-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Instructor

I'm not really complaining... I'll adjust to the sight problems the headrest is causing me - the cars is superb in every other respect, so it's not a big deal. I like to see the other cars directly before I change lanes - I look ahead, check my mirrors to the rear & sides, put my turn signal on if it's clear, then look directly to the side/rear, then change lanes...
Old 12-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jmichaelp
I'm not really complaining... I'll adjust to the sight problems the headrest is causing me - the cars is superb in every other respect, so it's not a big deal. I like to see the other cars directly before I change lanes - I look ahead, check my mirrors to the rear & sides, put my turn signal on if it's clear, then look directly to the side/rear, then change lanes...
Just get one of these. All of your problems are eliminated. I like the one that just sits on the top of the existing mirror. Many places carry it.

http://www.finches.org/s-lanechanger.mgi
Old 12-16-2003, 09:50 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Question What?

Was this guy on a safari and abducted by head shrinkers? The DRIVERS headrest? I sure hope I see this guy coming on the road. Where could he POSSIBLY be sitting (while driving) that the DRIVERS headrest could be an obstruction? I mean does ANYBODY REALLY turn their head THAT far around that their OWN headrest could be in the way? Does he deliver mail or something?

Originally posted by jmichaelp
Oh, I noticed the back headrest blindspot & the impact a high trunk has on visibility when I test drove the car (including lots of backing up!) Those "problems" haven't been noticeable to me in the real world though. The large driver's seat headrest has been on lane changes though - it's definitely a bad problem for me...
Old 12-17-2003, 01:24 AM
What's a TL?

Re: What?

Originally posted by ndabunka

Was this guy on a safari and abducted by head shrinkers? The DRIVERS headrest? I sure hope I see this guy coming on the road. Where could he POSSIBLY be sitting (while driving) that the DRIVERS headrest could be an obstruction? I mean does ANYBODY REALLY turn their head THAT far around that their OWN headrest could be in the way? Does he deliver mail or something?

:

:lol1: Wow, that is damn funny
Old 12-17-2003, 05:23 AM
Pro

I also noticed the bling spot issue and was VERY nervous doing lane changes when I first got the car because of it in fact...

It is just something you get used to...

I DID ask the dealer if the headrests go down on the test drive and he said yes.... and they DO..

When you pick the car up, they are up a bit and you can lower them but jus tnot much,

BTW HOW do you take them out and is it hard to put them back in? How ugly does it look with them missing?

Mike
Old 12-17-2003, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Ha, ha

Sorry, but I do turn my head that much! Maybe it's just my particular height or the way I sit, but it is a bother.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Banned

I agree, that is part of the reason I didn't get the spoiler.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Z Factor
I agree, that is part of the reason I didn't get the spoiler.
I didn't think it needs the spoiler.

And as someone said the A Pillars ARE very thick... I mean tis car looks so safe.... in a wreck it becomes a cacoon....

Cacoon III: The TL

Mike