Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nose mask bra installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 08:58 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question nose mask bra installation

I ordered an acura full nose mask/bra for my 04 TL. Got it through the internet/ebay.
Now I need to install it. The instructions talk about removing the two clips in the hood so the hooks from the top part of the bra can fit in those holes.

It mentions in the "tools required" list a "clip remover".

Does anybody know how to remove those hood clips? Do I need a tool?

Is it really necessary? What about when I don't have the nose mask on?, do I put the clips back in?

Thanks for your help

Paul
04 TL
Black/ebony
Old 03-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

No the only tool you need is common sense. I took mine off to wash it and it went on with no problems. Getting the plastic tabs in the spaces between the lights and the bumper are the hardest part.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Racer

The two clips are screwed under the hood, you only need the screw driver to unscrewthe them and replace with the clips that come with the mask. Yeah, I agree the most difficult part is the headlight portion, also the bumper tab.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:09 AM
4th Gear

I know I need to unscrew the clips on both sides of the engine under the hood to snap onto the bottom half of the bra.

but what about the top bra? the instructions show removing the wide clips ( the ones that are the size of a half dollar) from the underneth of the hood.

Do those screw out? It doesn't seem so.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

Clear Bra
Old 03-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Racer

I put my bra on yesterday and it took some work. The tab that goes between the lower front bumber and car body (just front of the tires) was the hardest due to tight fit. The light tabs went in easy once they got started. I did put two extra coats of Zaino on the front part of the car for protection.

Having done all this work, I'm not convinced that it was the right thing to do. I really don't care for the look and I only put it on because of the road I drive on (lots of trucks kicking up dirt). Plus, this thing may become a hassle if I have to remove it each time I wash the car. I may end up just using the hood cover as there is where I suspect will have most damage.

I'm still not convinced that clear bra is the way to go. My correspondence with clear bra people is that there is no assurance of it cracking due to extreme heat / cold over some time. I haven't seen any plastic that has withstood the test of time and I suspect the same for the clear bra. That's a $500 gamble I'm not willing to take at this time.

So, the question is; Do you like your leather car bra (appearance & function)?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by casooner90
Plus, this thing may become a hassle if I have to remove it each time I wash the car. I may end up just using the hood cover as there is where I suspect will have most damage.

I'm still not convinced that clear bra is the way to go. My correspondence with clear bra people is that there is no assurance of it cracking due to extreme heat / cold over some time. I haven't seen any plastic that has withstood the test of time and I suspect the same for the clear bra. That's a $500 gamble I'm not willing to take at this time.

So, the question is; Do you like your leather car bra (appearance & function)?

1) They aren't leather, they are vinyl with a fabric underneath. You wouldn't want a leather one, if they were even available. UV light, water, and general weathering wouldn't be good for leather.
2) Clear bras have been around for somewhere over 6 years now. I haven't heard about any long term problems yet. But I wouldn't expect it to last forever. The paint itself won't last forever either, unless you keep the car garaged, don't drive it much, etc. But those same actions will protect the clear bra material too.
3) It's a very bad idea to wash the car with the bra (vinyl) on it. That will get dirt under it for sure, which will be abrasive. Anyone that just wants to put it on and leave it forever should NOT get one. Also, don't use it when there's any significant rain, and especially in the snow/ice when sand and rocks are spread on the roads. Some people claim that paint can cloud if you let the bra dry on the car, when it's hot.
4) Overall, they are best for cars that stay fairly clean due to where and when they are driven, and for owners willing to invest the time in ensuring water and dirt don't get underneath. I'd say 90% of the people that have them should not have them. Personally, I've owned them for many cars and have had zero problems.
5) All that being said, the clear bra product is probably preferable.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Racer

I do have the same concern on puting on and taking off the OEM bra as it takes a few efforts. However, unless you clear bra entire car, there is no way to prevent from scratches and dings. Thus, I would not spend that much money on clear bra. This is only me.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Banned

The product will not crack due to extreme heat changes. There are hundreds if not thousands of cars done in AZ with no issues just for an example. The product has been around since 1992 and has a great track record with more yearly sales every year. SEMA ranks it as the fastest growing aftermarket sector.

Yeah I can understand $500 being a lot of money, but the clear bra is an investment not a temporary fix that you have to remember to take on and off so you dont scratch your car.

Not to mention what would it cost to repaint the hood, fenders and front bumper compared to a clear bra. A whole lot more that's for sure. The Clear bra's are not for everyone and that is just fine.

Maybe now is not the time for a clear bra for you, but someday it might be