Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
oh yeah fast-tl, you missed a good meet last night. forgot to PM you
Old 10-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fast-tl
If you have to count your pennies THAT closely, Billy, I fear it's YOU who isn't the finance major...
?????????????????

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Being a spendthrift qualifies you as a finance major?

Anyway, anyone with a brain will understand my original point: your $2,000 option financed over 5 years will end up costing you a few hundred dollars more. I'd rather keep that money. For all of those that refuse to look at the actual money they spend on a car and live on a month-to-month (i.e., monthly payment) basis, this is of little concern.

BTW, nothing personal, but I don't HAVE TO count my pennies. I recently downgraded to the TL from an Audi A6 2.7T. I didn't have to, but I didn't like dumping my money into depreciating objects anymore. Also, BTW, I paid cash for my TL. I don't like paying interest, I like to earn it.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:35 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^ Good decision.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by trancemission
oh yeah fast-tl, you missed a good meet last night. forgot to PM you
Oops!I should really meet some of you guys in person. I'd like details on the next one.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Oops!I should really meet some of you guys in person. I'd like details on the next one.

bonedaddys.......hehe...

Ill be sure to hit you up for the next one..
Old 10-05-2005, 11:48 AM
10th Gear

I have a navigation system in each of my three cars, including the TL, and here are some of my miscellaneous thoughts after having read the whole thread:

- I drive less than 9,000 miles a year (almost all local to work only and don't do any road trips) and yet I find a navigation system valuable. Even knowing the local roads thoroughly, a navi system allows me to drive without having to anticipating turns and worrying about directions, making even routine drives slightly less stressful. If you don't have a navi system, then you can't understand this point. Without Nav, you are always squinting to look for signs in bad weather, constantly aware of your next turn, etc. No need with Nav--now just focus on your driving. If you run across road construction, hit a traffic jam, or need to find a restaurant or gas station, etc. etc., press a couple buttons (or use voice) and the navi system automatically reroutes you. It only takes a few wrong turns a year to rationalize having the navi system. Even with my limited driving, it saves much wasted time getting lost or taking a bad detour. The benefits should be double for those of you who drive even more!

- All OEM navigation systems are overpriced at $1,500 to $2,000 each. Consider portable units that all offer MORE functionality for LESS than half the price. The main disadvantages are (1) they're not integrated so it doesn't look as nice sitting on your dash and (2) smaller displays are not integrated with vehicle functions (e.g. climate, audio, etc.). The benefits however are: (1) more navigation features, (2) better, safer visibility being on your dash, (3) more regular firmware and mapping updates, (4) many have PC-integration so you can build your routes and waypoints on the PC and not in your car (much more convenient!), (5) portability-move from car to car, and (6) cheaper!

- Navigation systems will probably be a VERY cheap option (if not standard equipment) within 5-10 years. The basic GPS, navigation software and map data could be implemented in mass production for probably less than $200/vehicle. Even today, you can buy a Garmin eTrex Legend handheld GPS that has limited automobile navigation with maps for less than $300. Of course, the full automobile navigation units such as the Garmin StreetPilots currently sell for $500 to $700.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Navi or non-navi, the TL is still a fun car to drive. By the way, I have navi and I love it.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by terpnut
I have a navigation system in each of my three cars, including the TL, and here are some of my miscellaneous thoughts after having read the whole thread:

- I drive less than 9,000 miles a year (almost all local to work only and don't do any road trips) and yet I find a navigation system valuable. Even knowing the local roads thoroughly, a navi system allows me to drive without having to anticipating turns and worrying about directions, making even routine drives slightly less stressful. If you don't have a navi system, then you can't understand this point. Without Nav, you are always squinting to look for signs in bad weather, constantly aware of your next turn, etc. No need with Nav--now just focus on your driving. If you run across road construction, hit a traffic jam, or need to find a restaurant or gas station, etc. etc., press a couple buttons (or use voice) and the navi system automatically reroutes you. It only takes a few wrong turns a year to rationalize having the navi system. Even with my limited driving, it saves much wasted time getting lost or taking a bad detour. The benefits should be double for those of you who drive even more!

- All OEM navigation systems are overpriced at $1,500 to $2,000 each. Consider portable units that all offer MORE functionality for LESS than half the price. The main disadvantages are (1) they're not integrated so it doesn't look as nice sitting on your dash and (2) smaller displays are not integrated with vehicle functions (e.g. climate, audio, etc.). The benefits however are: (1) more navigation features, (2) better, safer visibility being on your dash, (3) more regular firmware and mapping updates, (4) many have PC-integration so you can build your routes and waypoints on the PC and not in your car (much more convenient!), (5) portability-move from car to car, and (6) cheaper!

- Navigation systems will probably be a VERY cheap option (if not standard equipment) within 5-10 years. The basic GPS, navigation software and map data could be implemented in mass production for probably less than $200/vehicle. Even today, you can buy a Garmin eTrex Legend handheld GPS that has limited automobile navigation with maps for less than $300. Of course, the full automobile navigation units such as the Garmin StreetPilots currently sell for $500 to $700.

we have beyond the shadow of a doubt established the fact that NAV is a useful tool if you need it and are willing to spend the money for it. mlody asked if he was missing alot. well......mlody I think at this point you should be able to sleep better at night with the decision you've made. if now after reading four pages of debate over this option you are still undecided about your purchase.......well, you're stuck with it. so I say make the best of it or sell it.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:20 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

we have beyond the shadow of a doubt established the fact that NAV is a useful tool if you need it and are willing to spend the money for it. mlody asked if he was missing alot. well......mlody I think at this point you should be able to sleep better at night with the decision you've made. if now after reading four pages of debate over this option you are still undecided about your purchase.......well, you're stuck with it. so I say make the best of it or sell it.
Ahhh yes. Closure! Mlody best of luck in what ever you decide. Let it not be said that this group is not opinionated, which is a good thing.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Advanced

hahaha, 2 g's is so ridiculous. You could buy a navigation system from a store for a g or cheaper. Plus you could put that in any car you have.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I love cars!

^^True but you ignore the fact that "store bought" wouldn't be the same display size nor as integrated with the car, nor voice activated, nor linked to your phone via bluetooth....I'm sure you see what I'm getting at. Apples and oranges.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Advanced

I understand, 2k could be put to such better use though.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtw156
I understand, 2k could be put to such better use though.

30k could be put to better use as well.... but we all still bought a TL.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:19 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by cblackburn
30k could be put to better use as well.... but we all still bought a TL.
Gee, you mean they could have bought an Accord, Altima or Ford 500 and saved thousands?? Seriously we can all justify whatever we want and someone tells us we can afford.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No Navi on my WDP. In the future if I have the urge for it I'll buy the parts at a junk yard or eBay and install it myself.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:15 PM
I love cars!

This thread's about ready tp be put to sleep. The honest answer is yes, you are missing a lot without the Navi.It is widely regarded as the best system available integrated into a vehicle, and non-navi dash is clearly a placeholder for a space designed around the Nav systm. Next time, get it and don't look back; save yourself the need to ask this question.
Can we lock this thread now?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

This thread's about ready tp be put to sleep. The honest answer is yes, you are missing a lot without the Navi.It is widely regarded as the best system available integrated into a vehicle, and non-navi dash is clearly a placeholder for a space designed around the Nav systm. Next time, get it and don't look back; save yourself the need to ask this question.
Can we lock this thread now?

we couldve locked this damn thread nine posts ago. but yet you keep posting.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:54 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

it's worth it.... even I have to finance 2k
Old 10-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by Actuary
it's worth it to me even if I have to finance 2k
fixed
Old 10-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks cool.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lets look at it this way...you are buying a Luxury Sedan here -- you have already decided "ok, I am going to shell out upwards of the low-mid 30K range here" -- so whats another 1800-2K for a nav system...I honestly think it enhances the look, and after the serious research I did that even led me to buying acura...their nav system is one of the best on the market...when all companies charge about the 2K avg....Granted some people DONT need it, but the small features are really nice to have, and it is a fact that down the line, all cars are going to have navigation, just like all cars will have the wireless phone feature...you can always say "i had it first", well atleast I can, ;-)

Cliff Notes: I have been told by about 90% of the people who have owned acura before, that the acura is the best "bang for the buck" car, and being a luxury class contender...at this point in time, navigation is luxury -- and jumping at a previous post....haha, the rolls royce without leather is funny to even hear...its like a boeing 747 with no wings! :-P
Old 10-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by Bounce
so whats another 1800-2K for a nav system...

about another 30-40 dollars/month. and again, if its not a necessity to you then its not worth the expense.

--------------->:deadhorse:
Old 10-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I love cars!

But what he's saying is if you're strecthing for that 30-40, you're obviously buyign the wrong car, capiche?
Old 10-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

But what he's saying is if you're strecthing for that 30-40, you're obviously buyign the wrong car, capiche?
that is the absolute worst advice in the world. yeah so because you're already spending 30K its okay to spend another 2K whether you need it or not. what is wrong with you....?

my father has a lexus with Navi. spent the extra money and now he has it. not once have I seen this man use it. Ill bet there is a good percentage of time that you dont even look down and use yours. its just eye candy, I wait, I forgot, it will help you find another home depot. whatever man, Im done debating this. this is a taste great, less filling discusion that I tried to put some closure to. You are really trying hard to justify your 2K purchase. If you're happy then fine, I didnt need it, dont have it, couldve purchased it, had the money to, and I dont loose a wink of sleep over it.

when my mother bought the CL she got the CL-P. I would like to see her face with you telling her that shes buying the wrong car because she didnt spend the extra money on the CL-S. and believe me, money is not an issue.

mlody spend your money wisely.........
Old 10-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

its just eye candy, I wait, I forgot, it will help you find another home depot.
I retract that statement. I was writing angry. if you have the money and you need Navi it is a good tool. okay Im done now..