Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non-NAVI TL - am I missing a lot???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 05:37 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR1
First off, some did pay list price for their cars. Also, it is perfectly OK for people to decide that they don't want/need navigation and still want a TL. The great thing is that it's an OPTION. Anyone that doesn't care for it doesn't have to have it.

The thread starter decided, after reading all of the post that it's just a fancy map . I can accept that if those are his feelings. TO each his own. I'm glad the I spent the money.
Fair enough, but my point still stands that it's not a lot of cash when you're already spending 30+ large and spreading it out over 4 or 5 (or 6) years.

Agreed it is perfectly OK for people to decide that they don't need NAVI; I was pointing out that some of the "reasons" are weak and/or poorly researched. Some use these arguments to convince others that they don't need or aren't missing the NAVI, which simply IS NOT TRUE. I know it's not true because I defy anyone to find 5 users on this entire site who REGRET getting it. Some who didn't get it put up reasons that don't hold water, which is my nitpick.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by fast-tl
I don't get it..NORMAL driving? What type of driving do we NAVI owners do if not NORMAL driving?

As I always tell those who ask: the TL is a altogether different car with NAVI vs. without.

I use NAVI just about every drive, even when I know where I'm going By that I mean on a routine trip I may not map a route, but I will bring up the live map that shows the car's path. Zoomed in a bit I can get to learn which streets intersect and are close to the path I'm following. I haven't been down every street in Dallas, but with the Navi, as I'm passing a neighborhood I can see "oh that street runs into so-and-so" or "glad I didn't turn in there...it's a dead end. Or, "cool, there's a pond and park over there." How many people will pull out a map in their living room and say: "ahhh, let me get to know my surroundings." With Navi in my car, it's automatic multitasking.

Some of the stuff Ive heard on here is excuses:
"too much technology" (then get a Hyundai and spare yourself TCS, VSA, XM, climate control, etc.),
"something else to brake" ( then get a car with roll-up windows, manual seats, manual transmission, manual locks, I mean *really*)
"non-navi is fine for normal driving" (so is a Kia; what's your point?)
"costs too much" (versus whose Nav system? Resale increases PLUS you get use of it while you own the car. Besides, Acura's already a value leader so you get bang for the buck.)

I'm not saying you're doomed if you bought without, but perhaps you'll do better research on your next purhcase, as Nav will soon be as ever-present as radio. Heck it's available in the Mazda3 and new Civic, and people are whining about the cost in an ACURA? C'mon people. The best analogy was at the beginning of the thread: Think of it as four extra payments, PLUS you get the benefit of using the display to pick out twisty roads to drive.

What I meant was having a non-navi is fine for the people who don't travel much. Of course the navi would be great to have, but for some people its not a necessity if they drive the same route everyday. Could save the 2 grand for better tires.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When we went looking to buy a TL we didn't plan on getting the nav. We thought it was too much money and we didn't use it. We got there and saw all it can do and we ended up getting it. That thing is so sweet and I love it already.. I am so happy we decided to get it. Anyone I know with a TL, Infinity, or car of same value wish they would have gone with the Nav. We didnt want to regret not getting one also.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:40 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

short answer is NAVI makes the car.

I only drive to School, Work and Home 99% of time. I still use navi just for fun.

When I get stuck in traffic, I quickly look at map and find local roads to go around that traffic. I used "Find nearest ATM" command few times over a year.

It just makes me to sit in the car and play with Navi and DVD audio on weekend even if Im not going anywhere.

Last but not least. I find non-navi dash is really bad looking.

I will definitely get navi in my next car again whether its BMW330i or Hummer H3.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TLGirl4
When we went looking to buy a TL we didn't plan on getting the nav. We thought it was too much money and we didn't use it. We got there and saw all it can do and we ended up getting it. That thing is so sweet and I love it already.. I am so happy we decided to get it. Anyone I know with a TL, Infinity, or car of same value wish they would have gone with the Nav. We didnt want to regret not getting one also.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you actually. Sometimes I wish i had the Navi to play around with. I'll def have it on my next car though.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The good thing about it being an option is it makes us Navi people so much better than those without it. JK, to each his own. I can understand why some people dont have a use for it, but what really urks me is how people(namely my friends without nav) say its useless and just dont be a retard and read a map. Any guys know reading a map is a bitch, and you may as well drive around aimlessly until you get to where you are trying to go. But anyway, I think there will come a time when navi is standard on all vehicles, and 3D heliodisplay systems are the new Navis.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
The better question is if you could only have one, would you have taken the Navi or the A-Spec package...
Old 10-03-2005, 12:59 AM
I love cars!

^^ Nav for damned sure. I'll pick my own custom wheels, and no body kit for me, thanks. Also, the stuff is overpriced. With the NAV I know I'm getting best in teh biz tech and it won't alienate potential future buyers who may not care for A-Spec but WILL be looking for a "standard" like Nav.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:41 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If u don't have a Navi, u will never know how good it is ~

but someday, if u got a navi, u won't live without it anymore...
Old 10-03-2005, 03:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Judging by how vociferous some of you advocates for the Navi system are, and how you make it out to seem so vital to the enjoyment of the car, one wonders why Acura didn't make it a standard feature.

Would Acura be selling fewer TLs if they all came equipped with the Navi but at a slight premium?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mlody
For me NAVI was always a very expensive gadget and a bragging feature – my driving is very simple point a to point b (work, school, friends). Besides the map feature, what useful features am I missing on my non-NAVI TL? I am still not convinced to buy NAVI just for mapping - it just does not make sense in my head.
1) yes only if you get lost alot
2) yes only if your friends ask "oh, I thought TL comes with a navi system"
3) yes only if you're trynig to show off to others
4) yes only if down the road, most luxury cars got navi (heck, even the 2006 Civic got them)

other than that, no
I got navi in my car, I've only used it about 10 times in the past year. So in reality, you're not missing much.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTriads
1) yes only if you get lost alot
2) yes only if your friends ask "oh, I thought TL comes with a navi system"
3) yes only if you're trynig to show off to others
4) yes only if down the road, most luxury cars got navi (heck, even the 2006 Civic got them)

other than that, no
I got navi in my car, I've only used it about 10 times in the past year. So in reality, you're not missing much.

very well said Triads. I chose not to get Navi specifically for that reason. I will not use it. I will never regret not getting it. I do not get things esp spending 2K just so I could say I have it. Navigation serves a purpose that some people just dont need. That is why it is an option....
Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
Hang on, voice control is only available with the navi?... I didn't realize that I guess. Doesn't that make the decision easier? People freak when they mess around with that, it sets the car apart from the crowd.
my voice control works and i dont have navi

for the phone feature that is
Old 10-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
It seems that navi is as personal feature as getting 6MT – I for one chose to row my own gears and same goes with navi – I prefer $20 map and my laptop with gps for interstate trips – I do not need to show off how fancy my car is – mind you most people do not even consider cars with manuals to be luxury or near luxury cars. “luxury and changing gears on your own does not come along together in most people minds!”
Old 10-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Advanced

I don't use the Navi alot but when I do I love it, I would do it again on my next vehicle. Its hard to place a value on its use, anlagous to having a membership to a private golf course, not necessarily justifiable on face value but the intagibles can be worth every penny. For me the 2k was not a big issue considering I was looking at a BMW 530 and Mercedes E series before buying the TL.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

My fathers a guy, so he needed navi. Hes also a lawyer and he goes from courthouse to courthouse so it also helps with that.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
My fathers a guy, so he needed navi. Hes also a lawyer and he goes from courthouse to courthouse so it also helps with that.
Sounds like perfect job for the Navi system.

I am just hoping that in 10 years or so (when I will be changing for a new car) navi either will be standard (like air bags) or $200-300 option – I also hope that manual box cars will also be around (seeing the direction everything is heading) it concerns me a bit
Old 10-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
It seems that navi is as personal feature as getting 6MT – I for one chose to row my own gears and same goes with navi – I prefer $20 map and my laptop with gps for interstate trips – I do not need to show off how fancy my car is – mind you most people do not even consider cars with manuals to be luxury or near luxury cars. “luxury and changing gears on your own does not come along together in most people minds!”
I also opt for a manual transmission. In fact, had the TL not been available with a manual, it never would have gotten a first look from me. As for most people not considering cars with manuals to be luxury or near luxury, I would say that depends upon largely two things: the car and its perception, and the locale in which it is sold.

Here in Northern Virginia, there are a lot of high dollar and "luxury" types cars with manual transmissions. In some of these cars, the manual is the preferred tranny (and in a few, the only tranny available). TL's are common and yes, the bulk of them are automatics. But a lion's share are row your own.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Instructor

MorningLight, did you read the previous post that said the only voice control on non-Navi cars is the phone? That leaves out a LOT.... temp, tunes, etc....
Old 10-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Come on craze do not slam the old man or he will not let you drive the wheels.. And at dad's age if he cannot find his way by now to those court houses, he is in bad shape direction wise...

Navi is worth if sure if you are traveling to various places and want to use it instead of maps. I agree there. But another toy to break and a distraction since I know of more than one person who got into an accident while talking on the phone, sipping coffee, putting on make up, and looking at the screen.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

It may just be something "cool" to have, but so were alot of our standard equipment features at one time. Try not to be so tunnel visioned. If you are holding on to this car forever it's one thing, but for resale value it will be a must in 3-4 years, and may be a deciding factor for that someone looking to buy your TL down the road.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by joed40
It may just be something "cool" to have, but so were alot of our standard equipment features at one time. Try not to be so tunnel visioned. If you are holding on to this car forever it's one thing, but for resale value it will be a must in 3-4 years, and may be a deciding factor for that someone looking to buy your TL down the road.

I disagree. I dont think Navi will be a must in 3-4 years and I really dont think that it will make or break the deal if and when I sell my TL. Dont get me wrong, its a nice option to have if you really need it and I emphasize option. Navi is not cheap to have in a car and I feel that I feel you will always have a choice not to get it. Its not an airplane.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Instructor

I love my NAVI. I can honestly say that I will never own another car w/o NAVI. What I like most about the NAVI option (beside telling me how to get from point A to point B), is how well it integrates will the car. Working with the 6 disc changer is very handy with the large screen, I love how the screen shows and does much more than just give directions. I'd give up my 6MT before I gave up my NAVI. NAVI completes the car. Without Navi, you can just look blah console and know something is missing (I think they did that on purpose).

Personally, I never use the voice commands at all. Those are a waste. However, I do love the bluetooth integration for the cell phone, I use that all the time too.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:58 AM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by mickey3c
Come on craze do not slam the old man or he will not let you drive the wheels.. And at dad's age if he cannot find his way by now to those court houses, he is in bad shape direction wise...

Navi is worth if sure if you are traveling to various places and want to use it instead of maps. I agree there. But another toy to break and a distraction since I know of more than one person who got into an accident while talking on the phone, sipping coffee, putting on make up, and looking at the screen.
Firstly, if you're worried about "toys breaking" then you bought the wrong car. Get rid of XM, HFL, ABS, power seats, power windows, blah blah blah. Secondly the Navi is not only a display. It's a voice system so you don't HAVE to watch the screen to use it.

This is what frustrates me on threads like this. It's as if non-navi buyers have to MAKE UP EXCUSES for not getting Navi, and they're usually misguided excuses. If you truly didn't want it that's one thing, but don't misinform people as above.

You don't have to watch the map, and you don't buy a car with luxury features if you're worried about more eqipment to break.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:07 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by trancemission
I disagree. I dont think Navi will be a must in 3-4 years and I really dont think that it will make or break the deal if and when I sell my TL. Dont get me wrong, its a nice option to have if you really need it and I emphasize option. Navi is not cheap to have in a car and I feel that I feel you will always have a choice not to get it. Its not an airplane.
I'm guessing of course, but the same conversation was probably held over air conditioning or cd players in the past.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:44 PM
lilvinnyb

For me NAVI was always a very expensive gadget and a bragging feature – my driving is very simple point a to point b (work, school, friends). Besides the map feature, what useful features am I missing on my non-NAVI TL? I am still not convinced to buy NAVI just for mapping - it just does not make sense in my head.

I felt the same way. Never felt the need to have it. Just mapquest a place and use the odometer for distance. Save the 2 grand and buy some wheels :-).
Old 10-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by joed40
I'm guessing of course, but the same conversation was probably held over air conditioning or cd players in the past.

you cant compare air conditioning to Navi. CD players? maybe, but until Navi gets cheaper I dont see it being as common as Air Conditioning.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

Fair enough, but my point still stands that it's not a lot of cash when you're already spending 30+ large and spreading it out over 4 or 5 (or 6) years.
Well, if you're spreading it over that period of time, then it IS a lot of cash. Not a finance major, are you?

Some people that understand the time value of money realize that this is indeed an expensive option. I happen to like the NAVI, but I also understand the cost savings in going with non-NAVI.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Cruisin'

The good thing about it being an option is it makes us Navi people so much better than those without it.

I'm seriously questioning why I still read this board.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Racer

I did not get Navi. I could have afforded it but, did not think it was worth 2K to ME. I do not drive far on vacations or for work. Over 3 or 4 hours and I fly so I don't even have my car with me. If I could have gotten it for 1000 I probably would have. But, for 1800-2000 or maybe a bit less I didn't think it was worth it to ME.

In the 18 months I have owned my lowly non Navi TL there have about about 4 or 5 occasions where it would have come in handy. Not worth $400 - $500 per occasion. Sure over 4 or 5 years maybe that would work out to $50 an occasion. And yes I understand you can do some cool things like find ATM's or gas stations. Or change your radio station or XM station. I researched the TL pretty well before I purchased. Or call a resturant you found with the Navi over the HFL. I am sure if I had it I would have used it allot when I first got the car and less and less in everyday normal driving.

Just for me at the time it wasn't worth it to me. On my next car I will seriously consider Navi again. If my situation changes or the prices are lower I very well may get Navi on my next car.

Not sure why either side cares that much what the others did. I think for most people who are buying a new car and thinking they MAY want this option they probably SHOULD go for it. If you are even considering it you probably do want it but, are having a problem justifying 2K. If you are going to have the car for 4 or more years and really want it get it. If you hang on to your cars even longer then that go for it.

If however you know you just don't need want it then why bother? Skip it. Save your money for something else. Vacation, wheels, tires, TV, school whatever.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I certainly hope your dad's a guy (not that there is anything wrong if he - or she - isn't a guy) Sorry, I couldn't resist

Dumont
Old 10-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

But anyway, I think there will come a time when navi is standard on all vehicles, and 3D heliodisplay systems are the new Navis.

and I hope that they will come with flux capacitors so I may travel through time..I kid I kid......
Old 10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by BillyBeru
Some people that understand the time value of money realize that this is indeed an expensive option.

exactly.........2-3K = higher monthly payment.

and even more importantly not a necessity for some.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Advanced

I think the air conditioning reference is valid, back in the day air conditioning was a 1k option when cars where 10-15k. Most people no longer consider a car without AC and the dealers don't order them without it, it has become a standard. Is navigation still a high cost option, yes, but it will come down. To me the idea of dropping 2k on rims and tires is a bigger waste of money. The point is, it is relative to each person. The simple fact we bought the TL puts us into a category that is hard to justify based on pure dollars. Why buy the TL when the accord will do the same function? or why not a hyundai? Obviously we all decided the TL premium was worth it, for me the navi simply completed the package.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Is it just me, or do this monthly 'Is NAVI worth it?' threads remind you of the 'Taste Great!'... 'Less Filling!' commercials? I wanna beer.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:47 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by BillyBeru
Well, if you're spreading it over that period of time, then it IS a lot of cash. Not a finance major, are you?

Some people that understand the time value of money realize that this is indeed an expensive option. I happen to like the NAVI, but I also understand the cost savings in going with non-NAVI.
If you have to count your pennies THAT closely, Billy, I fear it's YOU who isn't the finance major... If you have to buy your Rolls-Royce with cloth seats versus leather, you're not ready to buy the Rolls.

With only 18 posts under your belt, let's not make this personal.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Dumont
I certainly hope your dad's a guy (not that there is anything wrong if he - or she - isn't a guy) Sorry, I couldn't resist

Dumont
Yeah, I saw that, too.

I would say that there's everything wrong if your dad isn't a "guy". I mean, this would present serious problems.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:56 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by toynaround
I think the air conditioning reference is valid, back in the day air conditioning was a 1k option when cars where 10-15k. Most people no longer consider a car without AC and the dealers don't order them without it, it has become a standard. Is navigation still a high cost option, yes, but it will come down. To me the idea of dropping 2k on rims and tires is a bigger waste of money. The point is, it is relative to each person. The simple fact we bought the TL puts us into a category that is hard to justify based on pure dollars. Why buy the TL when the accord will do the same function? or why not a hyundai? Obviously we all decided the TL premium was worth it, for me the navi simply completed the package.
Very well put. To expand on my Rolls-Royce analogy, you've already decided you want a luxury model, so to an extent the price cconsideration isn't really valid, so why buy a Range Rover with hubcaps. And to those who say buy wheels? What's the return on wheels? Wheels have less ROI than Navi. And to the mapquest users: do you computer and printer access from wherever you are? Not all my trips start out from home or office, and sometimes I want to make a pitstop. Unless you pull over and tank out your laptop and wi-fi, the mapquest solution is out the window. One situation is when I go to Home Depot and they're out of stock at that location. With Navi I just enter the address of the other store an go on. What would our mapquest users do? scribble directions that may or may not be good, and don't account for traffic, detours or wrong turns?

To those who wonder why it's such a passionate debate, we just want to save someone from regretting a decision later. those who reget non-navi are a dime a dozen. Those who regret navi are rare.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by toynaround
The point is, it is relative to each person.
nuff said.......
Old 10-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Very well put. To expand on my Rolls-Royce analogy, you've already decided you want a luxury model, so to an extent the price cconsideration isn't really valid, so why buy a Range Rover with hubcaps. And to those who say buy wheels? What's the return on wheels? Wheels have less ROI than Navi. And to the mapquest users: do you computer and printer access from wherever you are? Not all my trips start out from home or office, and sometimes I want to make a pitstop. Unless you pull over and tank out your laptop and wi-fi, the mapquest solution is out the window. One situation is when I go to Home Depot and they're out of stock at that location. With Navi I just enter the address of the other store an go on. What would our mapquest users do? scribble directions that may or may not be good, and don't account for traffic, detours or wrong turns?

To those who wonder why it's such a passionate debate, we just want to save someone from regretting a decision later. those who reget non-navi are a dime a dozen. Those who regret navi are rare.

wells that great that you use yours fast-tl and if Im sure that if I had no choice of getting one Id use it too. I never debated the effectivness of Navigation. I do disagree with your rolls royce analogy. Spending money on the TL doesnt justify spending more on the NAVI. Why buy something I will never use?? That is the question at hand, will you really need it? I had the money to get NAV if I wanted it I would have gotten it. I choose not to have it simply because there is no need in my world for it. If Im at a home depot and they dont have what I need I know where a lowes is.

please dont use ROI when talking about cars and NAV. Neither cars Nav or wheels have a ROI. A car is not an investment, its a liablility. the only ROI you would get for a car is if you bought a 69 camaro in 69. You wanna make money with a car?? go deliver pizza's with it.........

Quick Reply: non-NAVI TL - am I missing a lot???