Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS (NVH) CONTROL in 2005 TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 03:32 PM
TL - KEJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS (NVH) CONTROL in 2005 TL

I previously posted this in another thread, but I wanted more attention, so I opened a new thread.

Is the NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS (NVH) CONTROL new for 2005? If so, then maybe the 2005 TL will be much better in terms of rattles & vibration.

I cut and pasted the following from this official looking link http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3011?...148406&mime=asc that was referred to in another thread (Official 2005 TL changes).
NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS (NVH) CONTROL
An assortment of anti-NVH measures includes advanced aerodynamic design, the first U.S.-market use of automotive acoustic glass with shade band, insulating panels under the hood and inside the trunk and the fenders.

Key NVH countermeasure areas include:

Acoustically tuned glass windshield

To reduce cabin noise, the TL windshield is made of 4.7 mm thick acoustic glass, which consists of two layers of safety glass, separated by a thin acoustic resin center. This represents the first time that acoustic glass with a shade band has been applied to a luxury vehicle in North America. The windshield reduces road noise on smooth asphalt significantly in the higher frequency ranges. To reduce noise intrusion through the side glass, the front and rear movable door glass is 5 mm thick.

Thinsulate

Patented by 3M, Thinsulate(TM) insulation was developed for thermal applications but it is also ideal for noise reduction. It is crushable and can be used in tight-clearance areas. In the TL it is used behind the door liners, rear seat side garnishes, center console, rear seatback and front and rear pillar garnishes. It is also used under the instrument panel and parcel tray.

Trunk

Engineers treated the trunk as an acoustic package, containing the speaker array and trunk hinges and springs in a rigid box structure. This improves audio bass performance, reduces interior noise levels, enhances the appearance of the trunk interior, and reduces the chance that belongings will be damaged by a speaker or hinge.
VH reduction item

Aluminum-alloy front subframe
Improved melt sheet package
Improved A-pillar shape
Diffuser type mirrors with full seals
5 mm side glass
Hood insulator
Improved door-handle sealing
Flush-mount moonroof
Besides its low mass, the TL aluminum-alloy front subframe reduces "starting boom" (resonance noise) without the use of additional dampers.

Melt Sheet
The careful application of high-density melt sheet makes a huge reduction in high-frequency sound. Testing results show it reduces the high frequency (approx. 500Hz and above) vibration of the TL floor panels, decreasing noise inside the vehicle.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Racer

i don't think it is. i'm pretty sure we have it too. i remember reading in a magazine sent from acura about the acoustically tuned glass and some of the other features. plus, acura only stated two changes for the new 05 models.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
04TL probably has all of them. I'll get more detailed replies to you tonight.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Racer

yea probobly just emphsizing it to attract more buyers since there are no significant changes to the 05TL.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Appendix...

This isn't trying to remedy anyone's words, but just attemp to help folks know how identical 04 and 05 are. And, you could imagine how much saving and profit this 3G TLs have been bringing to Acura by simply rewriting their statement/reposting their pics/reproducing this car.

2004TL

Substantial improvements in noise, vibration and harshness were made over the previous TL. Measures include advanced aerodynamic design, the first U.S.-market use of automotive acoustic glass with shade band, insulating panels under the hood and inside the trunk and the fenders.

Internal testing shows that the 2004 TL has less higher-frequency wind noise at the driver passenger "ear point" than the Audi A4, BMW 330i, BMW 530i, Infiniti G35, Lexus ES 300 and Mercedes-Benz C320. It is also measurably improved over the previous TL.

2005TL

An assortment of anti-NVH measures includes advanced aerodynamic design, the first U.S.-market use of automotive acoustic glass with shade band, insulating panels under the hood and inside the trunk and the fenders.

2004TL
Key 2004 TL NVH countermeasure areas include:

To reduce noise in the cabin the 2004 TL windshield is made of 4.7 mm thick acoustic glass, which consists of two layers of safety glass, separated by a thin acoustic resin center. This represents the first time that acoustic glass has been applied to a luxury vehicle in North America with a shade band. The new windshield reduces road noise on smooth asphalt significantly in the higher frequency ranges. To reduce noise intrusion through the side glass, the front and rear movable door glass is 5 mm thick compared to 3.5 mm for the previous TL.

2005TL
Key NVH countermeasure areas include:

To reduce cabin noise, the TL windshield is made of 4.7 mm thick acoustic glass, which consists of two layers of safety glass, separated by a thin acoustic resin center. This represents the first time that acoustic glass with a shade band has been applied to a luxury vehicle in North America. The windshield reduces road noise on smooth asphalt significantly in the higher frequency ranges. To reduce noise intrusion through the side glass, the front and rear movable door glass is 5 mm thick.

2004TL
Thinsulate

Patented by 3M, Thinsulate(TM) insulation was developed for thermal applications but it is also ideal for noise reduction. It is crushable and can be used in tight-clearance areas. In the TL it is used behind the door liners, rear seat side garnishes, center console, rear seatback and front and rear pillar garnishes. It is also used under the instrument panel and parcel tray.

2005TL
Thinsulate

2004TL
Trunk

Engineers treated the trunk as an acoustic package, containing the speaker array and trunk hinges and springs in a rigid box structure. This improves audio bass performance, enhances reduces interior noise levels, enhances the appearance of the trunk interior, and reduces the chance that belongings will be damaged by a speaker or hinge.

2005TL
Trunk

Engineers treated the trunk as an acoustic package, containing the speaker array and trunk hinges and springs in a rigid box structure. This improves audio bass performance, reduces interior noise levels, enhances the appearance of the trunk interior, and reduces the chance that belongings will be damaged by a speaker or hinge.

2004TL
VH reduction items

· Aluminum-alloy front subframe
· Improved melt sheet package
· Improved A-pillar shape
· Diffuser type mirrors with full seals
· 5 mm side glass (vs. 3.5 mm on previous TL)
· Hood insulator
· Improved door-handle sealing
· Flush-mount moonroof

2005TL
VH reduction item

. Aluminum-alloy front subframe
. Improved melt sheet package
. Improved A-pillar shape
. Diffuser type mirrors with full seals
. 5 mm side glass
. Hood insulator
. Improved door-handle sealing
. Flush-mount moonroof

2004TL

Besides its low mass, the TL aluminum-alloy front subframe reduces "starting boom" (resonance noise) without the use of additional dampers.

2005TL

2004TL
Melt Sheet

The careful application of high-density melt sheet makes a huge reduction in high-frequency sound. Testing results shows it reduces the high frequency (approx. 500Hz and above) vibration of the TL floor panels, decreasing noise inside the vehicle.

2005TL
Melt Sheet

The careful application of high-density melt sheet makes a huge reduction in high-frequency sound. Testing results show it reduces the high frequency (approx. 500Hz and above) vibration of the TL floor panels, decreasing noise inside the vehicle.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Old 09-06-2004, 10:55 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Rets, where did you get all that information? I don't remember reading that in the brochure or any other official documentation.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Lore
Rets, where did you get all that information? I don't remember reading that in the brochure or any other official documentation.

It looks like lots of ppl here were just realizing this site having so many detailed tech info. Actually, this site has been there for years.

The info I posted above was right at where those 05TL info is right now.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rets
04TL probably has all of them. I'll get more detailed replies to you tonight.
I could have told you that. Is right on acura.com website, plus I thought everyone knew, specially if you own one. Thanks for you reponse anyhow. You are very helpful to this site. Keep it up.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:32 PM
TL - KEJ

hmmmm

Thanks RETS.

I appreciate the time and engergy you put into your response.

Only thing is that I really wish it was new for 2005.

I am buying a new car very soon and I narrowed it down to a Cadillac CTS (luxury sport model with Nav) or a 2005 TL (5spd auto with Nav).

As per my other posts, I also considered (but have since eliminated) the Infiniti G35x, BMW 330xi, BMW 530i, and numerous other cars in roughly the same class.

I haven't made a decision yet, but this could have put the TL at top. So now I am still very much undecided.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

TLKEJ, best of luck for your final decision.

Either car would be the good choice, they're all decent vehicles. G35 has done some minor modification in 05 model. 3-series will get new look soon. TL may get some minor update in 06.

Whatever you decide to purchase will be good for you. Keep us updated, thanks.