Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No bugs = easy clean job

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No bugs = easy clean job

Hey people! Yesterday I was going to wipe the car down. I usually do this every other day so I don't have to wash my car. (i wash my car once a month) I noticed that there are NO bugs on my front bumper or grill. Hmmm.. very odd. I did not wipe or clean my car for 3 days, and I did not receive any road kill on the bumper. I travel on the highway going at least 70-80 mph for 6 miles everyday. I was very surprised, especially living in Florida where bugs are everywhere. This made my cleaning easier. LOL! All i did was wiped the windows, clean the wheels and I was done. She is clean again. I guess since I have a very smooth layer of wax on my front bumper, it made the bugs glide off the surface.
I also have the clear bra on my car, which I don't think it makes a difference. Just wanted to share my experience.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To the contrary...

I wish I had that problem!

I hand wash and towel dry my car weekly and wax it in addition every other week. When I drive the highway - or even just daily driving - my TL is inundated with bugs, bug goo and bug blood (yes...bright red blood smeared on my front bumper that definitely from bugs). The bug stuff also is very heavy on the side view mirrors.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate bugs, they splater all over my front, and it takes some work to get them off, especially if they have been there for a week or so.

I need to stop being lazy and clay/seal/wax the car for the summer.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Mofo

Originally Posted by KJW73
.....my TL is inundated with bugs, bug goo and bug blood (yes...bright red blood smeared on my front bumper that definitely from bugs).

Right.......its from the bugs, they'll believe that
Old 06-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Pro

It's all about the WAX!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:32 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
or maybe youve been following suv's/semi's
Old 06-22-2006, 09:32 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Macruz19
It's all about the WAX!!!
what wax do you swear by?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Racer

Are you sure it's the wax, or there just weren't any bugs that day?

I drive a 24 mile causeway as part of my 42 mile (one way) commute, and there are days when the bugs are so thick my front bumper looks like it is felt, and days when there are no bugs. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Keeping a good coat of wax on the front end makes cleaning infinitely easier.

Want to know a great tip for cleaning off the bugs? Would you believe a regular dryer sheet? Soak it in your wash bucket first. A friend tipped me to them, and I've been using them ever since. They work especially well on week-old, dried on bugs.

gurney
Old 06-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by leedogg
or maybe youve been following suv's/semi's

I never follow SUVs or semis. That's a bigger risk to collect sand and possible paint chip damage.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ding069
what wax do you swear by?
Meguiars NXT. Seriously! I don't use zymol or other products. I use the consumer products that are out there. I just wax a lot.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Are you sure it's the wax, or there just weren't any bugs that day?

I drive a 24 mile causeway as part of my 42 mile (one way) commute, and there are days when the bugs are so thick my front bumper looks like it is felt, and days when there are no bugs. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Keeping a good coat of wax on the front end makes cleaning infinitely easier.

Want to know a great tip for cleaning off the bugs? Would you believe a regular dryer sheet? Soak it in your wash bucket first. A friend tipped me to them, and I've been using them ever since. They work especially well on week-old, dried on bugs.

gurney
Well, I do live in Florida, and there are bugs all over the place year around. My car gets hammered with bugs, even if I just go down the street 45mph just to get some food.

Hmmm.. never heard of that technique. I'll give that a try. Although, I don't leave bugs on my car for more than a week. I use an old T-shirt and some quik detailer to get the job done. If I don't have those products in handy, I woudl get a wet paper towel and wipe it off. Oh yeah, I always have my CA car duster in my trunk all the time. You never know when you'll need it. The car duster helps clean off the dead bugs as well........
Old 06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maluskills
Right.......its from the bugs, they'll believe that
Well it sure isn't from roadkill or a person that I just ran over! LOL.
I say that because two of my previous cars [two satin silver Honda's to be exact]...never had that problem. As often as I clean my car, I never saw blood on my front bumper and you can clearly see it's from a bug. What type of bug - I have no clue? I'm not a bug expert, all i know it's a bug with red blood....(ponder that one for a minute).
JK.

On that thought - I'm heading to Starbucks for an afternoon pick-me-up...
Old 06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I do live in Florida, and there are bugs all over the place year around. My car gets hammered with bugs, even if I just go down the street 45mph just to get some food.

Hmmm.. never heard of that technique. I'll give that a try. Although, I don't leave bugs on my car for more than a week. I use an old T-shirt and some quik detailer to get the job done. If I don't have those products in handy, I woudl get a wet paper towel and wipe it off. Oh yeah, I always have my CA car duster in my trunk all the time. You never know when you'll need it. The car duster helps clean off the dead bugs as well........

Must be nice to have anthricite. I would never use those techniques on my NBP. I would never ever, ever ever, EVER EVER, take a paper towel to my car. SWIRLS UP THE @ss!!!! (I guess you could maybe use it on the lower grills) Also I never touch those car dusters, all they do is spread the dirt/dust. MORE SWIRLS!! And last but not least, I would try to stay away from that old tshirt. Get a nice microfiber w/ your quik detailer!! You can get them almost anywhere now a days!!!

Worst part of the NBP is I still have visible swirls. I wax every month and clean every week. Clay bar can do the trick though. Although, the NXT wax works wonders on the swirls!! I love that wax!! Do you use the NXT detailer too? I haven't tried it. How do you like it?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Darkcyde024
Must be nice to have anthricite. I would never use those techniques on my NBP. I would never ever, ever ever, EVER EVER, take a paper towel to my car. SWIRLS UP THE @ss!!!! (I guess you could maybe use it on the lower grills) Also I never touch those car dusters, all they do is spread the dirt/dust. MORE SWIRLS!! And last but not least, I would try to stay away from that old tshirt. Get a nice microfiber w/ your quik detailer!! You can get them almost anywhere now a days!!!

Worst part of the NBP is I still have visible swirls. I wax every month and clean every week. Clay bar can do the trick though. Although, the NXT wax works wonders on the swirls!! I love that wax!! Do you use the NXT detailer too? I haven't tried it. How do you like it?

I would love to have a black car, but that's just too much to maintain. I don't receive any swirl marks with my car duster and it doesn't spread the dirt around. Yes I use NXT. Easy to work with.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I I don't receive any swirl marks with my car duster .
You do you just don't see them as much with that color. Try the same on a polished out swirl free black car and you'll see them.

Even tho you don't see them that easy its all lending to the dullness of your finish.

NXT has a lot of oils and fillers thus it fills the swirling. It also have very short life.

The dryer sheet tho a good idea also is very abrasive and the marring will show up in time.

Safest of the bunch is a QD and a M/F towel but rotates the towel as not to rub the guts in. The bug innards are very acidic so leaving them on will allow some of them to etch into the paint and removal is impossible without an agressive polish.