3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Blind Spot (3G Garage E-043)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish everyone would use their mirrors this way. When I ride with other people, it scares me the number of times they change lanes and almost sideswipe someone because they can't see the blind spot with the mirrors and didn't bother to look. With the mirrors adjusted properly, you constantly have situational awareness of who is around you. And yes...my parents did it wrong because nobody taught them the proper method. As for parking, the number of times you park is way less than the number of times you change lanes so IMHO, you'll be less likely to have an accident driving than parking with the mirrors adjusted properly.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like I said before, this method has worked great for me and I try and tell family and friends to do the same, but even with this method I still think it's important to do the quick glance over the shoulder (no need for a full 2 sec turn), just to double-check before changing lanes.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I find that a glance over the shoulder is seldom necessary with the mirrors adjusted as described in this thread, except perhaps in exceptionally dense traffic, because the blind spot is so minimal that you'll sense motion out of the corner of your eye when you check the mirror. Still, I suppose being extra careful doesn't hurt!
Old 06-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I find that a glance over the shoulder is seldom necessary with the mirrors adjusted as described in this thread, except perhaps in exceptionally dense traffic, because the blind spot is so minimal that you'll sense motion out of the corner of your eye when you check the mirror. Still, I suppose being extra careful doesn't hurt!
yeah i know what you mean, you really don't have to because it works so well. but i try to do it anyways, just because when you're going 75mph any accident could be bad.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:11 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I will try this soon.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

For another option, check this thread about Multivex Mirrors. More info can be obtained at their website.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by XjoEnX
i have a weird method of being able to see blind spots. my side mirrors are adjusted the way i want (so i can see just a little bit of my car). all i do is lean forward and look in the side mirror if i can't see what's in my blind spot. i know, it's weird but it works for me please don't hate.

this is what i do i just do a lean forward look pass
Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...ahnmirror.html

Anyone try this yet. I bought one waiting for warmer weather to find location to mount it
Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

I use this method.
One benefit: in a panic avoidance manuever (something falls off the truck in front of you), you'll already know what a clear escape path is. You won't have time to move your head or sit up to check.
One drawback: backing a trailer. But, you can move your head close to the window to see the trailer in this case.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Instructor

I saw this thread about a year ago and decided to give it a try. It took me a few weeks to get used to it, but now I can't drive with my mirrors any other way.

I still look over my shoulder when changing lanes. The difference now is I don't have to look over my shoulder as frequently because I might already see a car in my side mirror (in my OLD blindspot). Then I just speed up or slow down before changing lanes.

I definitely recommend at least giving this mirror setup a try. Just be careful because it takes time to get used to it.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Instructor

I tried it today..i like it alot..prolly sucks for backing into a spot..but i think im going to keep this setup..thx!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 PM
In the AM, in the AM

Originally Posted by XjoEnX
i have a weird method of being able to see blind spots. my side mirrors are adjusted the way i want (so i can see just a little bit of my car). all i do is lean forward and look in the side mirror if i can't see what's in my blind spot. i know, it's weird but it works for me please don't hate.
i do this same thing! i've told so many people about it too. it really works.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why are you restarting this thread? I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but this is old man... it started in 2004 =\
Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Aspherical mirrors would be nice.

D
Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Be-in my TL
Why are you restarting this thread? I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but this is old man... it started in 2004 =\
Good advice is timeless; Don't eat yellow snow, for example.

Not everybody reads the 3G Garage (although, IMHO, they should). So a thread getting a bump every now-and-then that's as useful today as it was when it was posted isn't a bad thing.

Gives people who haven't seen it a chance to try it out, without starting a new thread.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Advanced

One of the very few things I don't like about my TL-S

...is the blind spots. I'm used to an old Bimmer which had much more visibility when changing lanes. Right now, I do as another poster--have my side mirrors adjusted to see just a bit of the side of my car, then lean forward or whatever to catch a broader view when changing lanes. But I have to admit, I have been in a couple of close calls early on where I almost cut too close in front of someone to the right side.

Looking back over your shoulder does not build assurance in me...I have to keep straining to look over the headrests and pillars in the car...I think it's too distracting. I used to feel safe doing this before, but not with this car.

I am going to have to try this.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Genius1

i prefer to use blind spot mirrors. they are life savers....but they do make your mirrors look ghetto!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:35 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I turn my head before I switch lanes
Old 05-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
This setup is interesting as I've read it before, but I can't see myself backing into my garage without loosing a mirror to a wall. Plus I rely on my side mirrors to parallel park, helps me to avoid curb rash.

I always turn my head when I switch lanes...it's a reflex... but this does make me hesitate when driving fast or in traffic to switch lanes, but then again, I'm not a fan of cutting people off.

Has anyone tried using those long ass review mirrors? (I know the look is totally ghetto..but I remember in my 97 maxima many years ago it worked pretty well)

And since we are on the topic

I wouldn't mind connecting my rear view camera to this mirror...and have camera to be always on.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:53 AM

Wow, this is an old one come back to life.

The ONLY time I adjust my mirrors to any position other than that described in this thread is sometimes in the morning rush hour in slow traffic going past the Pentagon. We get a lot of self-important assholes who will cut right to use the onramp acceleration lane as a passing lane. (I don't mean the barrier-separated merge lane for a cloverleaf interchange. I mean where the merge lane joins the highway, they cut right over the striped area, drive down the merge lane, and attempt to shove their way back in.) If I'm stuck in slow traffic there, I can't see who's trying to jump the queue by using my rearview mirror because of the cars behind me, so then I will adjust my right-side mirror so that I can see down the merge lane and then I know who's there legitimately and who's not. The nice thing with the TL is that hitting the memory button returns them to the normal position once I pass this spot.

"TeknoKing," maybe you could use the second memory setting for your parking setting if you insist on parking backwards.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
this thread has really made a comeback.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Race Director

^^^ as I started to read the your post, this idea came to me, and then you've mentioned it, lol.

Will this in the long run damage the memory setting feature? Since I'll be doing this everyday.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Pro

The one on the left is aspherical. Virtually eliminates the blind spot by giving you an increase field of vision.

D
Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
^^^ as I started to read the your post, this idea came to me, and then you've mentioned it, lol.

Will this in the long run damage the memory setting feature? Since I'll be doing this everyday.
I don't see why it would, given that I'm sure we have married posters who allow their wives to drive their TLs and who use both memory settings so that each driver is comfortable.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Pro

More examples of how they work.

To bad I've only found them for Euro cars online I had them on my VW and I miss them dearly. There doesn't seem to be anyone that makes them for us.

D
Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Serious question here....aside from the people who have talked about parking backwards in a garage, why would you want to see the side of your car in the sideview mirror? What good is that? I fail to see any benefit to seeing your own car when the purpose of the mirror is to show you what's to either side of your car.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Pro

Serious question here....aside from the people who have talked about parking backwards in a garage, why would you want to see the side of your car in the sideview mirror? What good is that? I fail to see any benefit to seeing your own car when the purpose of the mirror is to show you what's to either side of your car.
For many people it gives them a reference point. Instead of just empty space. Hard to judge where something is at without a reference point. You know sort of like it would be hard to sail without the stars back in the day.

But the only reason the aspherical mirrors show the side of the car so much is to show you the increased field of vision. In the aspherical picture it shows much more of the side of the car yet still further out at the edges. Now imagine if they were adjusted correctly only to give a slight view of the side of the car (for a reference point) and how much more of a field of vision you would have. It virtually eliminates blind spots.

D
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I might have to try this out. One thing that will be a bother, however, is when I back into a spot, I believe the only way I can switch seat-memory settings is if I'm at a standstill, correct?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
^^

I agree, it's a point of reference. Also, as I think had been mentioned at some point, it's how we were taught.

If we'd all been taught to use the "parallel" method suggested in this thread, we'd all be a lot better off.

I set my RepMobile (95% highway miles) mirrors this way. When passing you can literally watch a car go from your right peripheral vision --> Right side mirror --> Rear View Mirror totally seamlessly - the car is in veiw in at least one mirror at all times (or the reverse if you're being passed on the left). It works very well.

BUT, it takes a lot of getting used too, especially if you've been driving for 20 or 30 years. That's a LOT of habit to overcome.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'll have to try this.............great thread
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by princelybug
I might have to try this out. One thing that will be a bother, however, is when I back into a spot, I believe the only way I can switch seat-memory settings is if I'm at a standstill, correct?
Excellent point... this means I won't be able to utilize this mirror method....otherwise just to reverse park my car will take forever...and I like to park fast and get out...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by don5504
For many people it gives them a reference point. Instead of just empty space. Hard to judge where something is at without a reference point. You know sort of like it would be hard to sail without the stars back in the day.

Perhaps, but I can't imagine not knowing where the side of your own car is.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Pro

Perhaps, but I can't imagine not knowing where the side of your own car is.
Its more so you know where your car is in relation to other cars and so you know for sure where the mirror is pointing. Maybe you can't imagine it but I imagine its majority of people who do not the other way around.

D
Old 05-09-2008, 02:25 PM

Its more so you know where your car is in relation to other cars and so you know for sure where the mirror is pointing. Maybe you can't imagine it but I imagine its majority of people who do not the other way around.

D
I suppose when people are taught to drive with the sideviews adjusted incorrectly they understandably get used to it that way and find it hard to adjust to properly-set mirrors....sort of like how hard it is to correct a bad golf swing (something to which I can relate!). I guess I'm so used to the proper alignment that I can't understand how people don't have a sense for what they're seeing in the mirror, and I guess (as I said in a prior post in this thread from some years back) that people adjusting the mirrors the wrong way must be the reason why some people call the sideviews "rearview mirrors."
Old 05-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Pro

I suppose when people are taught to drive with the sideviews adjusted incorrectly they understandably get used to it that way and find it hard to adjust to properly-set mirrors....sort of like how hard it is to correct a bad golf swing (something to which I can relate!). I guess I'm so used to the proper alignment that I can't understand how people don't have a sense for what they're seeing in the mirror, and I guess (as I said in a prior post in this thread from some years back) that people adjusting the mirrors the wrong way must be the reason why some people call the sideviews "rearview mirrors."
Ha very true about the golf swing good analogy. But there are some golfers who have an unconventional swing and still do well. Also something that wasn't mentioned is that mirrors that are setup the proper way will leave you blinded at night from cars behind you. Tint would help but I don't have any tint on my car yet.

D
Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 PM

Ha very true about the golf swing good analogy. But there are some golfers who have an unconventional swing and still do well. Also something that wasn't mentioned is that mirrors that are setup the proper way will leave you blinded at night from cars behind you. Tint would help but I don't have any tint on my car yet.

D
I've never had that problem with the exception of some SUVs and the occasional car with the misaimed headlight.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug

you set or change (between 1 or 2) whether your are driving or in park.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by jnc2000
you set or change (between 1 or 2) whether your are driving or in park.
"Park"???? Real TLs do not have "Park." :shakehead
Old 05-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
"Park"???? Real TLs do not have "Park." :shakehead
parked position. (neutral with e-brake on)
Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
What is it in the design of the TL that causes the driver to have such poor visibility? I wonder why they put so many safety features in this car yet overlooked this flaw?

I always look over my shoulder when I change lanes but I still can't believe I haven't sideswiped someone yet.

Quick Reply: No Blind Spot (3G Garage E-043)