3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Automatice Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Midas, I live in Chicago and I keep forgetting to turn mine on. LOL.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing how bright those city lights are.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Car Addict

Very bright. Where you located?

I might try driving with the lites on, but my brain tells me the lites will burn out.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Racer

I'm up around Belmont and Cumberland. I've been thinking about the suggestion of leaving the lights on too. Lifespan doesn't scare me because I'm leasing. The car will be under warranty the whole time I have it. But I think it's going to be a pain to keep changing the NAV screen from day to night. Probably just be easeier to use the light switch if I can remember to put them on when needed.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by deandorsey
OMG is this true?!?! can some PLEASE scan a copy of the manual so i can turn my lights on myself!

and how am i supposed to know when to do this? do i have to wait until it is totally dark or can i wait until the sun just starts to go down? do i have to do this procedure every night?

That is some funny ass shit right there
Old 11-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To midas69;

You and I obviously see this in a different "light". As I mentioned, I'm quite happy and pleased that my TL does not have the auto-on headlamp "feature". It's a personal preference, nothing more. And therefore to me, there most definitely is a negative impact. The only way in which I would be agreeable to auto-on headlamps is if the auto-on switch was not included in the headlamp stalk.. say, for example, a switch or button somewhere on the dash that would activate/deactivate this "feature". Then those who like it could activate it and those who don't, could deactivate it and the stalk would operate in the same manner either way. With my former Altima (and probably your Maxima) the auto-on feature was first up on the switch. Bad design.

I had a 1983 Toyota Cressida and it had automatic seat belts that rode in tracks in the door frame. I hated those. Assinine.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To midas69;

You and I obviously see this in a different "light". As I mentioned, I'm quite happy and pleased that my TL does not have the auto-on headlamp "feature". It's a personal preference, nothing more. And therefore to me, there most definitely is a negative impact. The only way in which I would be agreeable to auto-on headlamps is if the auto-on switch was not included in the headlamp stalk.. say, for example, a switch or button somewhere on the dash that would activate/deactivate this "feature". Then those who like it could activate it and those who don't, could deactivate it and the stalk would operate in the same manner either way. With my former Altima (and probably your Maxima) the auto-on feature was first up on the switch. Bad design.
Yes, that's the way my Maxima was. I don't see it as that much of a problem since you just turn the headlight switch until it stops. But on the Acura it could easily be added to the TRIP COMPUTER.

What I would not like is a system like some of the old Cadillacs where you couldn't turn off the auto-on at all.

I had a 1983 Toyota Cressida and it had automatic seat belts that rode in tracks in the door frame. I hated those. Assinine.
Now there's something we can agree on. That was very dangerous. 90% of the people that had them cut the belts off because it was so annoying. And, having worked in the auto-repair industy, I can't tell you how many mechanics had their head scalped when they reached in the window to turn on the ignition.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by midas69
It's a feature, that's all it is. You don't have to use it if you don't like it, but it would be nice to have. As an example, I hate the tilting side-view mirror. But trying to infer that people that like that feature are less of a driver than myself is pretty stupid. It's just a feature that the TL is lacking and that other cars, not even in it's class, have had for years.

There are always features that aren't going to appeal to every person. Do you really think someone that lives in Las Vegas cares that much about heated seats? Do think someone that's deaf really cares about the ELS sound system? I'll give you my personal one, the sunroof. I never drive the sunroof open, I hate the noise. And at my height, the extra headroom would be much more appreciated. But just because you open the sunroof when you drive doesn't make you less of a 'driver' than I am.
Good comments! As they say, "to each his own" Heated seats in Las Vegas?...now that's a really good thing!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear

I just got my 05 TL Navi a few weeks ago so I am late to this thread. I knew the car didn't have the auto on headlights before I bought it but geez why not? In any vehicle with the feature that I know of, you can use the auto feature OR manually turn the lights on/off; the switch is set up for both operations. That would satisfy everyone here. My friend has an 03TL and wishes he had the feature (he had it on his 99Taurus). Does the 05RL have it? Maybe we can get the parts? Yeah the MDX has them. As far as 30 year old cars not having the features available today, my 1978 Lincoln was available new with "autolamp" on/off headlights. I still give my TL a 10.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:48 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by deandorsey
OMG is this true?!?! can some PLEASE scan a copy of the manual so i can turn my lights on myself!

and how am i supposed to know when to do this? do i have to wait until it is totally dark or can i wait until the sun just starts to go down? do i have to do this procedure every night?
Yeah, no sh!t.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:53 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by midas69
What an asinine comment. Why do you need navigation? You can just ask for directions. Why do you need a radio? You can just hum a tune in your head. Why do you need heated seats? You can just wear a heavier coat. Why do you need turn signals? You can use hand signals. Why do you even need a car? You can take a bus.
What's your point here? Automatic headlights have no real function what so ever. On the other hand, just about everything you mentioned does. Give us a break!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Hey my new ody has them, but of course my Ody is more expensive than my TL
Old 02-23-2005, 07:03 AM
5th Gear

My girlfriends 2005 Volvo S40 has them. The other day I was picking her up with the car (pre-TL), and waiting outside for her to finish at work. It was nightime, and I was parked in a key location outside her job (parking-wise). Being winter, I had the engine running. Because she had automatic headlights, every single passing car stopped in anticipation of my pulling out. There is no way to disable her headlights, so whenever the car is running at night, the headlights are on. I was so aggravated that when I went looking for MY car, this feature of the TL's was a bonus.

Who wants a car where you can't sit in with the engine running at night without having control of your lights? Come to think of it, that sounded a bit stalker-ish, but oh well.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Aquineas
lol seems as though this is one small thing that many former Nissan owners (including myself) miss. Enjoy your TL!
I agree. I had it on my 04 Maxima and my wife has it on her 04 Pathfinder.
I love my TL, but I do wish it had Auto Headlights.