Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Here With Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
The Golden One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Here With Some Questions

Hi everyone. I'm Ilya (Ukrainian born, raised in the US since I was 2), I'm 20, and I'm from Albany, NY.

As soon as the 2009 Acura TL hits the market, I will be getting myself into a White Diamond Pearl or Alabaster Silver Metallic 2008 TL Type-S (AT) with an Ebony interior (new from Northeast Acura in Latham, NY of course).

I currently drive a 1999 Nissan Maxima SE (just hit 50kmi on original motor/transmission) with a few power mods, although I am in the process of 'de-modding' to get the car ready for sale and so it will interest the slightly older population and not just the car enthusiast. Funny thing is, my headlights are projector retro-fits and guess what projector is in there. That's right, the Bi-Xenon TL projector . Link to CarDomain .

I only have a few things planned for the TL-S as I like the way it looks from the get go and don't think it needs a lot of mods to look any better. I will be doing the following:
  • Dealer installed Aero Kit
  • 18"x8.5" Axis Hiro Rims (Silver - NOT Chrome)
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Summer Tires (235/40/18)
  • Nokian Winter Tires
  • Drop
  • 20% Tint
  • Debadge the rear and only leave the Acura logo
  • HID White LED bulbs in the interior/exterior from Velocity LED's (ebay). They are similar in color to 6000K HID's...white with a hint of blue. Red LED bulbs will be used in the rear side markers.
  • Get rid of the 4300k HID Bulbs (I think they are 4300k anyway...) and replace with 6000k.

With all that being said, I have a few questions for you TL experts.
  • When I do get my TL-S...is there ANY way to convert the red interior lighting to the TL blue? My favorite color is blue, that's why I ask. Do you think the dealer would be able to do this for me? It's probably not possible but if it was, it would be awesome.
  • Are the seats in the TL and TL-S the exact same in terms of function or does the TL-S have more functions when it comes to the power aspect of the seats? If they are the exact same, just with different skins, I will be trading my TL-S seats for someones black TL seats (I'll see if the dealer can help me in this regard but I doubt it)
  • What kind of drop out there isn't very low (somewhere along the lines of 1.3") yet has almost a stock feel to it (not rough). In the Nissan world, H&R springs are the ones with this characteristic.
  • I've seen some threads about actual DVD movie playback capability being added to the Acura TL. Anyone got a How To thread?
  • Anyone got a How To on blacking/clearing out the head lights?

I think that is all for now. I won't be doing too much to this car, but I do want to customize it ever so slightly.

Thanks in advance for all the help, I can't wait till I put my order in.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PRESS the SEARCH button and enjoy theres too much info to type in one post....and read everything carefully...Ill answer one question......go with the stock aspec suspension it drops the car an inch or so possibly .1 or .2 more
Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
the answer to your questions, in order are:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Aspec
4. Yes
5. Yes

now do as the above poster recommended if you want to find out more.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:27 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
PRESS the SEARCH button and enjoy theres too much info to type in one post....and read everything carefully...Ill answer one question......go with the stock aspec suspension it drops the car an inch or so possibly .1 or .2 more
Originally Posted by TzarChasm
the answer to your questions, in order are:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Aspec
4. Yes
5. Yes

now do as the above poster recommended if you want to find out more.

So I did the search, since evidently some of you don't like to share your knowledge although you probably know pretty much exactly who wrote the write up or where it's located. I found the headlight clearing one by PPLAPW and the DVD one by DOM.

Can someone now answer the interior lighting question and the seat question? I see people putting bulbs in some of the buttons of the interior but that's not really what I was referring to...I was asking more along the lines of...could I just swap speedometers and radio, clock, etc. with someone else and call it a day? Or are the TL-S and TL so different electronically that this would not work?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

dude theres answers to all ur questions trust me its all there just gotta look some of the subjects are beaten to death. if u want more specific instructions or mods pm me or anyone u think has a nice tl and they'll answer. we're not here to bash eachother (too much) we're here to give eachother constructive/helpful criticism.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell, I was just shocked to see a post from a 20 year old that I could read and understand!
In all honsty, you have asked a barnfull of questions which would take many paragraphs to answer. Try to do some searches, and if you don't find your answers, come on back with more specific ones.
FYI, I love the red on my '07 TL-S. The TL has blue. Shows the Honda racing heritage quite nicely
Old 11-30-2007, 01:11 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
dude theres answers to all ur questions trust me its all there just gotta look some of the subjects are beaten to death. if u want more specific instructions or mods pm me or anyone u think has a nice tl and they'll answer. we're not here to bash eachother (too much) we're here to give eachother constructive/helpful criticism.
I didn't mean to come off in a wrong way. I've been a member of Maxima.org for 3 years almost, and NYCMaximas.org (where our very own Gus (has a White TL) came from) for about 2 years I think. I know how these forums work, but with that being said I know how I react to "newbies" on those forums and I figured I'd get similar treatment here...which is links directly to what was being asked. I assumed. That's a my bad.

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Hell, I was just shocked to see a post from a 20 year old that I could read and understand!
In all honsty, you have asked a barnfull of questions which would take many paragraphs to answer. Try to do some searches, and if you don't find your answers, come on back with more specific ones.
FYI, I love the red on my '07 TL-S. The TL has blue. Shows the Honda racing heritage quite nicely
In all honesty, the reason why I didn't search is because the majority of my questions (the seats and interior lights) are questions that probably were never asked in that manner because I was wondering about the difficulty of swapping the two. I doubt any of you every really were that displeased with the parts of the TL-S to consider a swap to some TL parts.

But anyway...I guess the two things I am wondering about are impossible (lights) and possible (seats) respectively.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No rudeness intended, but how do you know you won't like the red lighting or the seats? Maybe you can arrange to borrow a TL-S for a day? You might change your mind.
Most on this forum seem to dislike the TL-S' wheels. I think they look great!
The seats are the most comfortable I have ever had. Everytime someone gets in my car, they rave over the red lighting.
It is so subjective. I think it is THE PERFECT CAR, IMO
Make it yours to love. Don't be discouraged about the forum. It is a tough group.
Welcome!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Safety Car

yea man no rudeness what so ever.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Acuras Only in

Some of us have been here for years & trust me we have seen lots of (and many of them repeating) topics ... looking forward to the new type-s as well ...