Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New used TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey all,,
I'm not new to forums in anyway shape or form. But I am new to this forum. I am new to Honda/Acura cars as every other car i have owned has been American. I had a BMW 330 xi which was a complete shit show. In the year of ownership with the car I had spent well over $3800 in repairs which is boarding on insanity. So sold the BMW and I bought a 2007 Acura TL with 100,000 miles. It is the Base tl. So far I've had the car for couple of months. I have been lurking here on the forums. Prior to buying the car I have been researching via the forum to see what everyone had to say. I have to say I absolutely love the car. It is not a BMW, but it is comfortably numb. It drives like a dream, it doesn't drink oil, and it is ungodly cheap to change oil in this car v.s my BMW. If done by myself was roughly $80. Dealership was roughly 140. Oh and one more plus, my car doesn't leak anything, where as my BMW did nothing but leak. I always said my BMW was the ultimate driving machine, with great Road manners an excellent feedback it was a true driving machine, it was also the ultimate leaking machine, and the ultimate break my wallet machine. Anyways, I do a lot of repairs on my own as I I am mechanically inclined. The tl currently has 107,000 Mls. It is what you would call the dealer Rich car and prior to me buying it all service were done at dealer. The tl has lived in Florida it's entire life. Here are the things that are irritating me, which I will fix. Well maybe not. Yes the dashboard is cracked as so many others have done and yes my Bluetooth module is not working. The only thing that was not done to the car at the dealer were the tires which are Michelin. Now for the things that need to get done. Timing belt including all of the gaskets and rollers associated with the timing, belt water pump and of course the timing belt tensioner along with the serpentine belt and it's tensioner. I am not doing it through the dealer, as I have a mechanic who will do that work that I trust with my cars. They always took good care of me with my BMW, and even though was a shit show, it never left me stranded. The timing belt is not something that I am willing to tackle as I don't really have the time at this point. This job will cost $950. That is labor included and the Aison kit. I am doing the plugs myself. As for the dash being cracked, I'm not replacing it as they being Honda/Acura haven't changed the materials with which it is made. I will cover that with a dash with a mat of some sort. Any how, thought I would post. As always thanks in advance.

A couple of notes I forgot to ad. I drive about 24500 a year, it's all highway and at 70 with cruise set I average 33 to 34 mpg. Mid is probably some what high, but it is what it is. Also going to replace brake pads shortly. Rotors are in great shape.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-29-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
The following users liked this post:
losiglow (08-31-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Honda / Acura Fanboy

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You can buy a dash mat on ebay they run from $30 and up. This should take care of the dash Crack problem for you.

other than that sounds like it's a good buy try sharing some pictures here in your next post.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Welcome to the family

That's exactly how I'd approach the car. And also my exact take on BMW. They really are the ultimate driving machine. I test drove a 335i and have driven my friends 135xi several times. But I think I'd probably stick to leasing if I went with BMW.

You didn't mention what you were going to do with the Bluetooth module. To my knowledge, Acura hasn't done anything to fix it. Chances are it will fail again in 6 months if you replace it. The one in my 2006 failed and when I replaced it, it lasted about 4 months before it died again I love the Bluetooth, especially for the phone function. Luckily it works like a charm in my 2012 TL.

The 2007 should treat you well. They fixed the transmission issue but still, keep the fluid clean and be a stickler on maintenance. I'd recommend a drain and refill every 10-15K. I'm a little over the top with that but there's the joke that Honda has glass transmissions. They need to be well taken care of and when possible, take it easy on them. Also, that's good mileage. Unfortunately the 4G took a hit on mileage. I got about 32-34 on my 2006. Average about 28 highway on the 2012. It's a bigger, heavier and more powerful car however so that was somewhat expected. Also, you probably know this, but I'd recommend sticking to premium fuel on the TL. Regular will work but it may cause occasional spark knock and you'll take a hit on both power and mileage.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 PM
Instructor

I'm not going to fix Bluetooth. As for trans dealer has done all maintain. It's do again at 109500. All been done at correct milage aswell. Fluid is beautiful red. Shifts like a dream.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:37 PM
Instructor

As for the fuel. I believe anything with an engine just losses value..93 is fine for me, as mostly what we get here in this area of fl. She runs great. I see it as a car, not an investment. Its a nice car, and I do like it. Truth is, I keep a car for a couple of yrs, maybe 3. Then I buy another. I won't spend a lot on a car as I drive so many miles a yr. I feel like I just measure the pavement. As for maint. I will definitely keep up on it. I always do. Still I do like the Honda/acura line. I'm bias a little more twords acura, just a nice driving car with some creature comforts I like. My tl is fairly quick to, I mean for a 4 door ulev vehicle.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:18 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
You are going to love the TL. After the timing belt and a tune up you will be good for the 3 years and shouldn't exceed $3800 in all 3 years lol. Honda/Acura has been really reliable for me and will take so much use/abuse and if you daily it like a sensible adult I promise you it will take great care of you.

I currently own 2 bmw 328 cars (e46 and e92) and the e46 leaks like crazy and is a total beater. The e92 is still in it's "lifetime" of service and amazingly does not leak a drop. I am amazed every day. Actually just drove it on a 1,800 mile road trip and it was great the whole time!!!

BMW dealers are the ultimate driving scam artists though. My fiancee insists on taking the car there when I don't have time to DIY and every single time they convince her of some stupid bullshit and she spends way too much fucking money.

My TL uses some oil, but at 165,000 miles I think it is an acceptable amount. I dont baby my TL, ill be honest I am cheap with it sometimes, because I also have the bimmers sucking me dry. But this week I am going to do the serpentine belt, idler pulley, idler, new air filter, cabin filter, and oil and filter change. All this cost me $80!! I can't get a freakin oil change for $80 at a bimmer stealership.