Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TL owner!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 06:14 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL owner!

I've recently purchased a 05 TL and have also recently joined this forum. I'm not an Acura noob per se as I've owned 3 Integras but I am a 3G TL noob.... I have lots of questions so I hope this gets read and hopefully some questions get answered or directed to the correct forum pages. I'm posting in 3G TL general I guess? I'll just list them anyways.

1) Is the passenger side upper motor mount breaking a common thing? Quick driveway job as some U-toob videos
have said.

2) Has anyone had problems with the VSA when lowering the car? Speaking of VSA and the side mirror controls, what was not installed on the right side of the controls? I have a VSA button, mirror controls and a blank rectangle.??

3) My under-hood insulation has a nice hole in it right above the valve cover. Yours too? Common thing? Cheap fix?

4) Cold air. Worth it? AEM V2 is the only way of course but.....

5) Exhaust. I guess I'm looking for more gains than noise. Reuse stock tips. I've seen things about J-pipes and what not but it's a lot of cash. Links? Recommendations?

6) Front tower strut bar. The stock one looks way big! Handles well enough for me. Ideas

7) Where is the stock subwoofer located?

8) I saw something about The Navi hack, why?

9) OEM shock assemblies that are better than stock but not $2000 like KW-1s...??

That's a good start I believe. If you can help great! If you can't thanks for reading. If you want to help even better. Is there a TL club meet-up/car show anywhere? Do you care? I don't too much just in wonderment.

It's a a great car as you all know and I'm happy be part of the "T-Leet" I live in Th SF Bay Area in California if that matters or helps
Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 406 Likes on 317 Posts
The general answer is yes, the the questions that are yes or no.

Research different j-pipes and pick based on what you want out of the car. They are all different. Best way to find something is when you google. Type in a question/part/topic and add "acurazine" to it and google will find you what you need to know.
Good luck, and welcome.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 AM
9th Gear

Makes sense. Thanks for replying
Old 12-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
throw away under-hood insulation. not needed as it's more of a fire suppresant.
most of the other questions; is simply getting to know the car. take 2 seconds to figure out the car and get intimate with it..
the only cold air intake worth is a 4 inch intake, which the branded AEM's are not..

get comfortable reading this forum, cuz most of those questions can be answered by just reading the forums

Last edited by justnspace; 12-06-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome. In the same boat as I’m new here and just picked up an 05 as well
Old 12-06-2017, 03:19 PM
9th Gear

Has anyone noticed the paint on the hood getting messed up from engine heat when removing the insulation?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
1) Common with age. Easy fix. Be sure to check the status of the front and rear mounts as well.
2) Never heard of any VSA issues with lowering. Lowering usually brings along the alignment and axle fun. No idea about the 3rd knockout...only options on the TL was NAV...just about everything else was standard.
3) Already answered....
4) Don't think it is worth it...opinions vary...lots of good info/opinions in the forums already.
5) From what I understand PCD and J-Pipe are about the only gains you will see other than noise. Again, lots of good info in the forums already that cover this topic well.
6) Ideas for what? You already stated it handles good enough for you and the factory one is fairly stout already.
7) Middle of rear deck.
8) Why not is the question...people like to tinker.
9) No idea...I need to do mine eventually as well.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackass
1) Common with age. Easy fix. Be sure to check the status of the front and rear mounts as well.
2) Never heard of any VSA issues with lowering. Lowering usually brings along the alignment and axle fun. No idea about the 3rd knockout...only options on the TL was NAV...just about everything else was standard.
3) Already answered....
4) Don't think it is worth it...opinions vary...lots of good info/opinions in the forums already.
5) From what I understand PCD and J-Pipe are about the only gains you will see other than noise. Again, lots of good info in the forums already that cover this topic well.
6) Ideas for what? You already stated it handles good enough for you and the factory one is fairly stout already.
7) Middle of rear deck.
8) Why not is the question...people like to tinker.
9) No idea...I need to do mine eventually as well.

cool thanks jackass. (Not being mean that's what your name is)
Old 12-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Welcome!
Old 12-30-2017, 01:10 AM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
1) Is the passenger side upper motor mount breaking a common thing? Quick driveway job as some U-toob videos
have said. Only replace it if you hear a clunking noise from that side. Otherwise, dont worry about it.

2) Has anyone had problems with the VSA when lowering the car? Speaking of VSA and the side mirror controls, what was not installed on the right side of the controls? I have a VSA button, mirror controls and a blank rectangle.?? All TL's have a blank there.
3) My under-hood insulation has a nice hole in it right above the valve cover. Yours too? Common thing? Cheap fix? I do not think I have this issue with my 05
4) Cold air. Worth it? AEM V2 is the only way of course but..... Technically the TL already pulls air from down low. So it's already "cold". But is it restrictive? I only have a K&n filter with a light bit of oil. And it breathes great. no issues.
5) Exhaust. I guess I'm looking for more gains than noise. Reuse stock tips. I've seen things about J-pipes and what not but it's a lot of cash. Links? Recommendations? All custom exhausts that I have heard for these TL make them sound like a Civic on rice. Maybe a jpipe alone wont make it too much louder.
6) Front tower strut bar. The stock one looks way big! Handles well enough for me. Ideas Stock works fine for me. There is a custom built one that I have seen but it is expensive and ugly and doesnt fit that great. You wont realize any gains from another one. in my opinion.
7) Where is the stock subwoofer located? stupid question
8) I saw something about The Navi hack, why? People like to have a custom screen and stuff. read up. I run the OEM one. I did another one at one time, but it was stupit.
9) OEM shock assemblies that are better than stock but not $2000 like KW-1s...?? Too many options here. That is for you to decide but if I did it over again, I would get some shocks of your choice, and a coilover converter and use a light spring. Otherwise, a heavy spring is likely going to make a lot of noise.
like this: https://groundcontrolstore.com/produ...8-acura-tsx-tl
I have KYB and Eibach now. And they work great together. I am really surpised with the performance of the Kyb. Works great. Surprisingly firm.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-30-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:32 AM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
by the way, if you want to do some trial and error to reduce cost on those coilover converters, going through Ground control may be too high. Because I called Eibach and asked about those coilover springs, and I swore he told me they cost about $75. very cheap. So if you want to try something from this website below, I bet there is something there that will work. They have something for koni. And if you look at Ground controls link that I sent, it says it will work with KYB. And I called them and they also said it will work on KYB. So, my thoughts are: if the link represents and example of something that will work with KYB, (which is what I have) then why not just buy from Summit and Eiabch directly and skip ground control? The best feature about doing it this way is that you can get a similar spring rate to eibach pro kit which is the best street riding spring on the market in my opinion because they do not beat you up and wont beat your car up and wont make as much noise from suspension... PLus, you get adjustability.. Plus it is cheap. Our springs are 2.5" inner dia.
Coilover sleeves.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...l-over-sleeves

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-30-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Add to your list the 20 mm TL-S rear anti-roll bar, stock on the base TL is 17 mm. Especially if you're going to do an FSB, help keep understeer at by. It's pretty cheap even new at the dealer. Around $55. If you're close to the Dallas area, I have one. AEM v2 sounds pretty good, my son said my car felt a little peppier with it but I really didn't notice anything much. The stock TL intake system is pretty good (better than the Accord for sure) so maybe a high flow filter would be good enough if you prefer to keep the car quiet. The long tube J-pipe will make a noticeable improvement and you'd be really hard pressed to notice a change in sound. Koni yellows are pretty good, plus they have lower spring perches so you can get a little bit of a drop without affecting the ride.