3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TL, love the XM...and beer! First impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New TL, love the XM...and beer! First impressions...

Ordered my 04 AT w'navi in early December, picked it up 2/12...anthracite/quartz. VIN in the 28xxx's. Love the car! No discernible 50 mph vibration, no fit and finish issues, have not really had time to exercise the seat memory yet. No tire problems that I can tell, but it is warm here.

Driving impressions - very smooth, yet I can feel the power. Since I'm breaking in, I haven't really pushed it. Well, maybe once! Going from a '96 328i (5MT), but I have not yet missed the manual. Frankly, with the center console, I don't have enough hands to shift AND use the radio/navi! I have felt some torque steer once - accelerating into a turn. More than my 87 Accord (no surprise).

Best feature - surprisingly, XM Radio. I thought I would love the DVD-A more, but since I only have two so far (Yes/Fragile IS great), I don't get that much benefit from it yet. But the 12 presets for XM are not nearly enough! I hear songs from my college days in the 70's, from artists I like but have never heard on the radio, I listen to a lot of other music types I can't get on LA-area radio stations...it's hard to actually switch from XM to play CDs/DVDs! Now, just have to figure out what to do about my Verizon contract...

Interior - A lot of buttons on the center console! I definitely have to get used to the high rear end when backing up. The seat feels very good, spent a couple of hours in it today and felt just as good at the end of the drive. Definitely more room than I'm used to in the 328. I didn't realize until I got back in the BMW after driving the TL for a couple of days and felt incredibly cramped! Had a couple of friends drive it yesterday, and the 6' 4" one was quite impressed with the driver headroom.

KEY NEW FEATURE: While my tall friend was driving, I had him do a voice command "Find nearest Fast Food". Worked as expected. As we were heading to a bar/restaurant for a celebratory beverage, my friend tried "Find Nearest BEER! ". I told him it wouldn't work...but it did! A list of 5 or 6 restaurants with bars showed up on the navi screen, including the one we were heading toward!!!! He was pretty impressed before that, but that may just have sold another TL!

Glad for this forum and for the variety of opinions expressed on the car and features. Definitely was a help in many areas as I worked on getting the car I wanted at a good price. Thanks to all for your direct and indirect input!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Find nearest Beer! Sweet! I knew I wanted one of these, now its a no-brainer. I'm just going through the pains of trying to figure out what is a fair price. I figure I will have to order, want a white/quartz with nav and the wildcard to the price as far as I'm concerned, ground effects.
Congrats on your car!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm...beer, i love beer. that's nice to hear can't wait to try it out. i have a 93 325 right now so it's nice to see a fellow e36 owner moving onto a TL.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must try find nearest titty bar!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmmm.....beer.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course, I tried it again tonight, and it thought I said Nearest Seafood.

Hmmm...beer batter!