Sponsored by:

New RJ Body Kit at Rick Case Honda in South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
New RJ Body Kit at Rick Case Honda in South Florida

Hey guys,

I ordered my RJ kit last month, and the package was lost in transport. I called Ron and he confirmed the freight company lost the package, and shipped out another one to Rick Case Honda Near Weston, FL.

Well, to our surprise, TWO kits were delivered. So now there's an extra raw RJ kit sitting in the body shop at Rick Case Honda, still in the box. If anyone down here want's to jump on this, give Ron a call and maybe you can save on some shipping.

Andy Sapp, the body shop manager, said he's never seen any other body kit like this. Very well made with beefy, sturdy panels. They agreed to do the install for me based on ease of installation.

If anyone in South Florida has been considering a RonJon aero kit, let this be a sign.

1. Kit is already shipped. Might be able to save some $$ on the purchase from RonJon.
2. Kit is already at a Honda body shop.
3. Shop says they would be "Pleased" to install the kit based on the quality.

You basically just need to take your car there and make an appointment. Couldn't be any easier!

I also want to mention that Ron was totally professional and helpful throughout this whole thing. He answered all of my 476254878743 questions, gave installation tips, and acted promptly and took responsibility for a lost shipment by immediately sending me another kit. I recommend RonJon to anyone. I am 100% satisfied with his service!

I believe Ron is eventually going to send return labels to the dealer so the kit can be shipped back, but I thought I'd make this thread to try and help him offload the kit since it's already down here. He properly deserves it in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
man i wish that kit was in california...
Old 10-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
word, take advantage, save some $. Call me for more info.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Giving this a bump in case anyone is interested. I went to the shop to check on my car and took some pics of the raw kit.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Nice pictures Trew. I'm anxious to see the finished product.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm lost..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice rims dude
Old 10-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Nice pictures Trew. I'm anxious to see the finished product.
ditto.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crap, i just spent bought the aspec last month
Old 10-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Trew- how much did Rick Case charge you for the paint & install?
Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Racer

Good lookin' out for other Azine members Trew...dude, i love this site, people go the extra mile to help others. (I'm far from FL) but i thought i'd comment on guys that help out others...
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Drifting

$800 - But it's gonna take 2 weeks since none of the master metal techs want to touch it for the amount of labor the body shop director agreed to do it for. I thank my negotiating skills for pulling that off. Regular price is over $1100.

They're working on it between cars. I don't mind though, because I'd rather them not rush it. I spoke to one of the metal techs and he assured me he was instructed by the director to make sure every line is perfect.

The kit is surprisingly very sturdy, yet flexible. The only negative thing I can see is that it was manufactured pretty fat, and they are having to sand alot to get the panels to fit snug. This is why the metal techs are griping about the labor. It takes alot of time to sand and test fit over and over again.

No matter though. Based on what I've seen from this shop, I am 100% confident I took it to the right place. When all is said and done, what I'm gonna care about the most is the quality of the work.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Update

Update:

Well I was supposed to have my car back by this past Friday, but the body shop manager called me and told me they are having a hard time filling the 10 million tiny holes all over the kit. From what he described, it sounds like air bubbles got trapped in the material when it was put into the mold, and dried with the little air pockets in it.

They are filling the nearly microscopic holes with a slightly heavier primer and then they will send it to paint. I'm so glad they scrutinize every little detail. I can't wait to get my car back... Maybe Monday.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:14 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

why everything got to be so far away..
Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Got my car back today. This was pretty much how I reacted in this order:

Panels don't line up as well as I had hoped. There are small, uneven gaps where the bumpers butt up against the fenders/quarters.

Right side skirt is wavy and not all the clips are holding. You can see a 1/2 gap between the skirt and the door sill.

Even though I gave them specific instructions on how to paint my grill, AND email the manager a full color picture of what it should look like, they STILL got it wrong!

Both bumpers were darker than the rest of the car before, and now they are slightly lighter than the rest of the car - I can't seem to win here.

I'm taking it back next week to get the grille repainted and the right side skirt fixed. However, I can't really blame them for the fitment. The kit was short in some places. There was nothing they could do.

I'll post pics later. Overall I am 70% happy with the new look. Although the paint is not a perfect match, I have to say the paintjob is AWESOME! WDP is truly a beautiful color.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
You might have been better paying alil more and taking it to paint at the acura body shop to get an exact color match. There was another member not too happy with the color of his kit also. For that I would suggest just to pay alil extra to get it exactly, it will save you trouble in the future. But hope to see it at the next meet.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Drifting

I hear ya. Actually, I took it to Rick Case Honda, which does all the body work for Rick Case Acura. They have the same paint codes any Acura dealer would.
I think the issue is the existing paint. The paint is about 3 years old and could definitely be the reason for the mismatch. It's actually not that bad. I'll go outside after this post and take some pics.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM
08 TL-S NBP

We'll I dunno if you would want to do this, but what about spraying a clear coat all over the car? That will probably give it a very close color match and cover up the slightly faded paint.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Drifting

We think alike. I did ask them about clearing the whole car prior to doing the work, in fear it would come out like this. They said it would not be good for resale value because no matter what, you could not hide the fact that it was painted/cleared. Also, they would have to de-trim the entire car which would put me into the thousands. No thanks!

Here are a few quick snaps I took outside. The car is still at stock height until I can afford to get my Megans and camber kit. I'm also rocking my new EXEs . It really doesn't look bad. I'm just way too picky.

This pic was taken by my wife driving from the dealer where I picked it up, on our way to the wheel place to get my EXEs installed. Still have the Status wheels in on this pic.

Here is a shot of the grille. They were supposed to black out the whole inside. Though it doesn't look all that bad like this.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:10 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Damn Trew, those wheels look good! Btw, I think I like the grill more like that
Old 10-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Drifting

Thanks Faiz! I'm quite happy with them, too!

I kinda like the grille like this too, but I still think it would look better all blacked out.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:15 PM
4G TL FTL :(

Looks great! Now get out there and do a real photoshoot
Old 10-21-2008, 05:44 PM
08 TL-S NBP

yea it looks sweet, I already have your next mod for ya. TL-S tails and side markers. PM me if you want a good price.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:14 PM
B A N N E D

thanlk god you got new rims! they look great! i like the ron jon kit i just never was crazy about the rear... go with atlp exhaust and type-s lights and you will be money!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
B A N N E D

how much would the kit be otd. ?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Orlando TL
thank god you got new rims! they look great! i like the ron jon kit i just never was crazy about the rear... go with atlp exhaust and type-s lights and you will be money!
LOL - yea those Status wheels weren't cutting it on a car like this. I liked them on the wall in the showroom but quickly changed my mind a few days after seeing them on the car. I just dropped 1200 on them not even 4 months ago (sigh). It's the price we pay to look good, I guess.

If you bought from RJ it would cost you around 1850 raw, shipped to your door. But as I mentioned in this thread, if you want to drive down here and come get the extra kit, I'm sure Rondi will work out 1500-1700. It's gonna be a pain in the butt for him to ship that back to his warehouse. I'm sure he'd be willing to work a deal to get it off his hands.

I've seen the extra kit. It's still wrapped up in the box at Rick Case. Give Rondi a call and see what deal he offers. Then you can come on down and pick it up and we can do a photoshoot
Old 10-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Lookin good... and I'm loving the new rims, if you don't how much were they? And for future mod's I say do the Base 07-08's... I love how they look on my WDP!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueAc
Lookin good... and I'm loving the new rims, if you don't how much were they? And for future mod's I say do the Base 07-08's... I love how they look on my WDP!!!
Thanks BlueAC. I've gone outside like 40 times since I got home just to cop a peek at her new look. I paid just under 1600 for all 4 wheels, lugnuts, hub rings and locks. These wheels are high offset (+48). The bolt pattern was originally drilled for Mercedes vehicles @ 5x112. I had them shave the holes and put in inserts to fit 5x114.3. This was done by Axis, and is backed by their full warranty. I had it up to 65mph since I got them installed and they ride much better than those heavy status wheels I had.

I went with the high offset because I'm about to slam this princess, and I'm not a fan of rolling fenders or rubbing. EXE makes these wheels in 5x114.3 but the offset is 32. Too aggressive for me. If you're interested call up cbwheels.com and tell them Bobby with the White TL referred you. I was very pleased with their customer service. And their cashier is pretty hot, too

As for the Base tails, I've deeply considered this look on the WDP as well. I think the color combination looks perfect. I haven't decided if I want to do it yet, mainly because I don't dislike the stock tails. Maybe next year when my money starts burning holes in my pockets again.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
Thanks BlueAC. I've gone outside like 40 times since I got home just to cop a peek at her new look. I paid just under 1600 for all 4 wheels, lugnuts, hub rings and locks. These wheels are high offset (+48). The bolt pattern was originally drilled for Mercedes vehicles @ 5x112. I had them shave the holes and put in inserts to fit 5x114.3. This was done by Axis, and is backed by their full warranty. I had it up to 65mph since I got them installed and they ride much better than those heavy status wheels I had.

I went with the high offset because I'm about to slam this princess, and I'm not a fan of rolling fenders or rubbing. EXE makes these wheels in 5x114.3 but the offset is 32. Too aggressive for me. If you're interested call up cbwheels.com and tell them Bobby with the White TL referred you. I was very pleased with their customer service. And their cashier is pretty hot, too

As for the Base tails, I've deeply considered this look on the WDP as well. I think the color combination looks perfect. I haven't decided if I want to do it yet, mainly because I don't dislike the stock tails. Maybe next year when my money starts burning holes in my pockets again.
I can just imagine how u feel with her sitting in the driveway... I switched to the Type-S sidemarkers over the weekend and I can't stop looking at them! I'd probably be camped out in my driveway if I did major upgrades like you

I'm probably not doing rims umtil next Summer, Philly winters are way to harsh for to put brand new wheels thru that! But I have been picking up some great deals thru that eBay/MS Live deal. In the last week I've picked up the A-Spec Kit, Decklid Spoiler, Type-S Side markers, Type S tails (probably gonna sell), and I'm on the fence about the A-Spec suspension. Now I'm just sitting back and waiting to get my cashback... it's like free money

Edit: BTW your my new wallpaper for the week!!! LOL...

Last edited by BlueAc; 10-21-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
you need to have the rubber spacers installed ontop of the grille, the hood is stilling a tad to low. but looks nonetheless.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueAc
BTW your my new wallpaper for the week!!! LOL...
Hah! I'm honored

Originally Posted by csmeance
you need to have the rubber spacers installed ontop of the grille, the hood is stilling a tad to low. but looks nonetheless.
Thanks AJ. and good eye. I didn't even notice. I'll check tomorrow to see if those effers messed with them.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
First off, the kit looks so sweet trew, that dealer did a great job with the install and paint.

Second, the extra kit that is there will be picked up very soon, we can't leave it there just sitting forever. So if anybody is interested, please contact me for pricing, there is a slight discount available.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rondog
First off, the kit looks so sweet trew, that dealer did a great job with the install and paint.

Second, the extra kit that is there will be picked up very soon, we can't leave it there just sitting forever. So if anybody is interested, please contact me for pricing, there is a slight discount available.
Thanks Ron. I have you especially to thank. It was your attention to detail that ultimately made me decide to buy your kit. The more I look at it the better it gets

I've been contacted by a member that lives down here and is interested in the kit. I'll PM you with his member name so you can reach out to him.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Trew, your TL looks awesome. You just can't beat the RonJon Aero Kit.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Drifting

Thanks Steven! I agree, I made the right decision going with this kit.

My TL FINALLY looks the way I want it to. I feel a photoshoot coming
Old 10-23-2008, 06:35 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
I feel a photoshoot coming
Quit slackin'
Old 10-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Oww

I took it back to get the grille and side skirt fixed. Maybe next week.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Yeah, I can see in the second pic the color is a little off, but I may not have noticed if you didn't mention it.
Anyway your car looks sick. That RJ kit is NICE! Like I said I love my A-spec kit but I have been thinking of getting the RJ because nobody in CT has one, at least nobody around where I am. I like to be different
Old 10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
Like I said I love my A-spec kit but I have been thinking of getting the RJ because nobody in CT has one, at least nobody around where I am. I like to be different
Thanks CarrieLynn

This is exactly why I went with RJ. I'm not 100% sold on the design, but it definitely makes the car look better. I just feel too many people have the A-Spec kit, and it would take alot more to stand out if I went with that instead.

The kit gives the illusion that the car is lowered, even though I'm still at stock height. I came really close to scraping my front bumper one of those cement blocks when I pulled up in the parking lot to get coffee the other day.

I went from 18mpg city to 23mpg since I got my car back. Driving slower to let those neck breakers have a good look

Isn't it awesome when people gawk at your ride???
Old 11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

Trew your TL looks sick. good job
enjoy your ride.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 AM
Cruisin'

you know what type of exhaust can fit the rj bodykit?