Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New potential Acura owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:17 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New potential Acura owner.

Hello everyone. I'm currently in the situation where I may be selling my current vehicle and I'm interested in a 3G TL. My current car is a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. Good car, but with 134,000 miles and all the quirks it has, it's a little expensive. Right now it's sitting in the shop indefinitely because during a visit to get some recalls done, it turns out that there's a rust issue costing me a ballpark figure of $700 for a break component that's not in stock anywhere in the country. Long story short, I got a good deal on the car, well under book value, but a cheap luxury car is still a luxury car and it's costing me more than I need right now. well over $1000 just due to rust near the brake system.

So, I'm looking to get it fixed, use the little remaining 3rd party warranty I have left and ditch it. This car has caught my interest: Used 2005 Acura TL (White Sedan) | Serving St. Louis, Chesterfield & Hazelwood Missouri | Bommarito Ford
My friend works at the dealer so I should be treated well there. What I'm wanting to know is that is this car worth it and will the maintenance be way less than what I' experiencing now? I know it'll be a bit of a downgrade, but with a move coming up with more bills, better mpg, and cheaper everything relative to my V8 Cadillac, I'm ok with moving to something less. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Grant, welcome to AcuraZine.

The car looks good. Just know it will need it's major service (~$1,800) at 105,000 miles.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts

Though I wouldn't call the CTS-V and a TL comparable when it comes to performance, they are both luxury vehicles. Parts aren't dirt cheap but shouldn't be as pricey as what you're dealing with now.

Besides the crucial 105k service Steven Bell mentioned, the early 3G TLs are known to have transmission issues. I've had my 2004 TL for 7 years and (knock on wood) haven't experienced any problems with it. The only mechanical issue I've had is when the rear calipers seized on me. That was 4 years and many miles ago...no issues since.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:55 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Grant, welcome to AcuraZine.

The car looks good. Just know it will need it's major service (~$1,800) at 105,000 miles.
Yeah I'm a little anxious about that during research. I'd hate to drop a car because of $700 and jump into one that needs 2.5x that. At least it's relevant to operation instead of freaking rust. My girlfriend's dad in pretty mechanically inclined so maybe I could save some money there if it doesn't require specialty tools.

Other than that it doesn't seem like there's much maintenance with these cars. Anything else I should look out for during '05?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Check for cracks on the dashboard.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:34 PM
6th Gear

I'll have to check it out but it'd 100 miles away and my car is 40 away in the opposite direction. You guys think this would be a good financial decision or should I look at a Honda?
Old 06-13-2015, 08:18 PM

I think you should just keep your car. You never know what's hiding in another vehicle.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 PM
10th Gear

Wow. I'd say overpriced. I just recently purchased an 04 TL. It has 105k miles but I got it for only 8k. And it has all maintence records, perfect carfax. And all proper maintanence up to date. IE belts , etc. Talk them down for sure
Old 06-13-2015, 10:57 PM
3rd Gear

That year acura tl would be a good choice. It doesn't have the transmission problems like the previous generation. The dash tends to crack on the passenger side but it's a good car. That one seems a little pricey.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Acu03
That year acura tl would be a good choice. It doesn't have the transmission problems like the previous generation. The dash tends to crack on the passenger side but it's a good car. That one seems a little pricey.
Just a FYI

the 2004-mid 06 have pretty much the exact same transmission as the previous cars and they still fail at an highly abnormal rate. Honda really did not correct the issues with this transmission until the 2007 model year when the case was redesigned.

OP,

the TL is a fantastic car but the AT is glass. You can check to see if it has been replaced by opening the hood and looking for blue painted bolts used in the reassembly of the unit. If it is the original transmission in that car, I would not purchase it.

The fundamental problem with that 5AT is lack of lubrication to the 3rd gear clutch pack and they get toasted and as a result fail. In 2007 Honda redesigned the case with enlarged cooling passages and those units are holding up quite well overall. Honda started using these cases in 2008 for the reman units...
Old 06-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
If you could afford it , go for an 07-08. That is when they did the mid-model refresh. Here are a few bullet points for the generation :

2004 - No TPMS
2005 - Change in leather seats (I think )
2006 - TPMS added
Pretty much no changes in 04-06

07 - New Radio interface, New steering wheel, aux port, revised Transmission ( much stronger ) , Back up camera in Navi models , Switchblade key/key fob , new stock rims , probably some more features I'm missing. Pretty standard Mid-model refresh items, same car, couple tweaks.

08- I don't think anything changed

These are reliable cars, with not too many issues. Parts are cheap compared other to entry level luxury sports sedans , since lots of pieces are shared with the Accord. It is not a CTS - V, but they are very nice to drive, with a firm, sporty feel. Also , the only options in these cars were

Base
Navigation
5AT / 6MT
Type - S Model (07-08 --- Performance model )
A-Spec Package ( Rare, pretty much a body kit , some suspension, and some A-Spec badges / interior pieces / awesome looking wheels )

The dashes do have a tendency to crack, especially if left in extreme climates. Mine has not yet at 10yrs/120k mi , but wouldn't be surprised if it does. Lots of room for tall drivers and not bad back seat / trunk space.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Also, if you are mechanically inclined or have friends that are, you can buy a Timing Belt / Wtr Pump kit for around $250 and do it yourself. Not a hard fix, lining up the notches is tedious though.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by GrantB13
better mpg
What MPG are you getting today? Just be aware that if you aren't on the highway, the MPG of the TL drops quickly. Those that drive in true stop/go city traffic are in the mid to high teens. A good mix usually puts you in the mid 20s. And pure highway staying under 75 usually gets you right at 30'ish.

I would say the TL isn't exactly cheap to maintain, but it isn't too bad since many parts are shared with the Accord. Also, just about any Honda dealer can handle maintenance for you. I got my TB service done at my local Honda dealer for quite a bit less than the Acura dealer quoted out.
The following users liked this post:
YeuEmMaiMai (06-15-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackass
What MPG are you getting today? Just be aware that if you aren't on the highway, the MPG of the TL drops quickly. Those that drive in true stop/go city traffic are in the mid to high teens. A good mix usually puts you in the mid 20s. And pure highway staying under 75 usually gets you right at 30'ish.

I would say the TL isn't exactly cheap to maintain, but it isn't too bad since many parts are shared with the Accord. Also, just about any Honda dealer can handle maintenance for you. I got my TB service done at my local Honda dealer for quite a bit less than the Acura dealer quoted out.

^ When I got my ATF flushed @ Honda they were running a $450 TB / WP Replacement ad
Old 06-15-2015, 01:39 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06TLMatt
If you could afford it , go for an 07-08.
I also highly recommend looking at 07-08's as well if you can afford it, for the reaasons 06TL Matt recommended above.

Otherwise, the 05 you're looking at seems to be a fair price considering the mileage. If you have a friend at the dealership that will likely help. Looks bone-stock, and reasonably minty. As usual, knowing the ownership history is a must, and service history is a massive bonus. If it's 1-2 owners with full records and you're offered a good price (and if the tranny doesn't exhibit any issues) then I'd say this could be a solid candidate.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:22 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
I think you should just keep your car. You never know what's hiding in another vehicle.
I can understand that. My car seems to have issues though too. Bad flywheel, this rust issue, bad sunroof, water leaks to the spare tire well, howling differential, 5th/6th gear vibrations, 134,000 for an American car, and some other stuff. I'm definitely doing research this time around, hence why I signed up here when I don't even own the car. Had I done more research on this V and checked it more thoroughly, I might not have bought it.

Originally Posted by Jackass

My mpg right now has been about 16/17 which includes a minimum of 12 miles of interstate driving. Other than that, some city and some 45mph zones. It may not be a huge upgrade, but it'll help. Same with maintenance. In the city where my V is currently being worked on, the Honda dealership just quoted me a half hour ago of around $1000 for the 105k service. Nothing is cheap on the V so an Acura should be no worse. Plus my insurance might go down.

It sounds like I might need an 07 though.....
Old 06-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrantB13
I can understand that. My car seems to have issues though too. Bad flywheel, this rust issue, bad sunroof, water leaks to the spare tire well, howling differential, 5th/6th gear vibrations, 134,000 for an American car, and some other stuff. I'm definitely doing research this time around, hence why I signed up here when I don't even own the car. Had I done more research on this V and checked it more thoroughly, I might not have bought it.

My mpg right now has been about 16/17 which includes a minimum of 12 miles of interstate driving. Other than that, some city and some 45mph zones. It may not be a huge upgrade, but it'll help. Same with maintenance. In the city where my V is currently being worked on, the Honda dealership just quoted me a half hour ago of around $1000 for the 105k service. Nothing is cheap on the V so an Acura should be no worse. Plus my insurance might go down.

It sounds like I might need an 07 though.....

If I'd have researched a little more I'd have gotten the 07/08 for 1-2k more. Realistically, I get about 29mpg combined, driving conservatively - several stops, and some city driving. 34-36 on the highway w/out stops , around 23 in the city. Go test drive one , really. You'll see what it's like in person, and the decision should be easier.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 597 Likes on 410 Posts
Coming from a cts-v, try to get into a type s if you can, or a base with navi and/or a-spec package. That way you won't cry too much. Overall, the TL is reliable and fun to drive.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Grant, welcome to AcuraZine!

I myself am a new owner of my 3G TL and am loving it. These guys are an abudance of knowledge and will help keep my car running for a long while, which I plan to keep till it no longer makes financial sense. (Maybe like your car?)

I didn't come from a CTS-V but I did come from a 2004 Silverado and did an engine swap with the same LS6 that's in it. I swapped it around the 50K mark on my truck and 42K on engine. Drove the truck really hard until I sold it to buy a more practical car for my family with 168K on the body. The LS engine is very solid, heck, the whole powertrain was to me! As far as the CTS, I would let it go just because I heard and experienced with a friends all the weather stripping issues not sealing well and sunroof constantly leaking. Then simple electronics (buttons, radio, etc) just randomly failing and working again. The CTS didn't really start getting "built better" till about the 2008 mark.

Mine is also an 05 with 135K and I only paid $5800. Like Acu03 stated, it might be a little pricey. Obviously our mileage is different but still think it might be a little too high for me to bite.

Luckily, the person I bought mine from was an Acura tech and took full advantage of the extended warranty. For example, my transmission, he replaced it just before selling it to me just because the warranty was expiring soon and put a brand new one (not refurb). I am still countering the heat issues the guys have mentioned just in case by installing a tranny cooler this weekend!

Good luck in your choice either way man!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:04 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CrunchyDaddy
Grant, welcome to AcuraZine!

I myself am a new owner of my 3G TL and am loving it. These guys are an abudance of knowledge and will help keep my car running for a long while, which I plan to keep till it no longer makes financial sense. (Maybe like your car?)

I didn't come from a CTS-V but I did come from a 2004 Silverado and did an engine swap with the same LS6 that's in it. I swapped it around the 50K mark on my truck and 42K on engine. Drove the truck really hard until I sold it to buy a more practical car for my family with 168K on the body. The LS engine is very solid, heck, the whole powertrain was to me! As far as the CTS, I would let it go just because I heard and experienced with a friends all the weather stripping issues not sealing well and sunroof constantly leaking. Then simple electronics (buttons, radio, etc) just randomly failing and working again. The CTS didn't really start getting "built better" till about the 2008 mark.

Mine is also an 05 with 135K and I only paid $5800. Like Acu03 stated, it might be a little pricey. Obviously our mileage is different but still think it might be a little too high for me to bite.

Luckily, the person I bought mine from was an Acura tech and took full advantage of the extended warranty. For example, my transmission, he replaced it just before selling it to me just because the warranty was expiring soon and put a brand new one (not refurb). I am still countering the heat issues the guys have mentioned just in case by installing a tranny cooler this weekend!

Good luck in your choice either way man!
The price changed on the website. It's showing $13,999 where before it was $11,550. I'm thinking I could still get the $11k. Don't know if it's high or not for 98k miles. The site includes a Carfax which shows clean title, 2 owner, all in Missouri (whether that's good or bad from snow, I'm not sure), but it doesn't show anything about the transmission being replaced.

I called the Cadillac dealer back to double check the part and it turns out to be simple break lines. I might just buy aftermarket ones on my own and have them put it on if it'll get me my car back. The longer that Acura sits the more likely it is to sell before I get a chance. I've only had my CTS V for just under two years, but after the warranty expires, I'll be on my own 100% with an expensive car to maintain. I only really planned on keeping it until then anyway. The Acura would be much more modest so I think if it drives good it'll be a benefit in a lot of ways over my Cadillac.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 PM
6th Gear

Edit: I could get it for $11,550. Maybe the price always showed $13,999. Good deal if it turns out to be in good shape?