3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 2005 TL - Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Do the ECU relearn, if the car was babied it will tend to feel sluggish at part throttle, resetting the ECU definitely helps.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter
turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the instructions -

Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2
minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I am a 19 year old and my parents did the same thing for me! An 2005 TL, but in my opinion I think you should leave the modding decisions to him. I wasn't into cars at all prior to my TL and now I'm an addict! Congrats on the car though I love mine!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ez12a
instead of asking us why not just ask your son if he likes them? like on your corvette for example.

grats on the buy and welcome.
That's what I did. Got his "opinion" on some wheels for a friends car. Worked good. Got him to pick out 3 different wheels.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nick216
Shit, im just going to stop posting now.
Hilarious! That whole exchange made me laugh!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
Yep, I'm counting 5 too...OP, you are not poor by any stretch, that Vette and Truck are worth $100K+ and you have that 5 car garage.
Well, I guess "rich" is relative to perspective I guess. If you have a roof over your head, food to eat and a car to drive, you are "wealthy" above and beyond the vast majority of the population of this earth.

You see 5 doors at my house. What you don't know is that the house I live in is paid for by starting years ago with living in a trailer house to save money. Moving up to a small home and renovating it, then moving to another one and fixing it up and another and another for 26 years. This is house number 16!

I give advice that most people don't have the patience to take: Live in what you can afford to buy with cash (in my case I started with a $4k trailer house) save your money rather than making a house payment and then move up. Build equity by improving what you live in. Don't buy "perfect" properties. Continue that process and someday, you'll live in what you desire without a mortgage.

This house took me 30 years to build up to and a solid year of our personal sweat to build - every day, working my butt off everyday as well as my wife and kids after school and weekends. But it doesn't belong to the bank.

2 of those doors are an attached garage and 3 are my shop. I wanted to just put up a metal building but the rules forbid it - I had to build it to look "aesthetically" like the house.

I have a shop because you can do the same thing with cars. Patience and building up slowly. My first car I paid $10 for and used my dad's tractor to pull it out of a ditch. Got it running and slowly fixed it up and drove that car for 3 years making my "car payment" to myself rather than a bank.

Waiting and staying out of debt allows an "average" person like me with no college education, to be able to grow the income they do have and make the best of it.

Too many people want it RIGHT NOW and go in debt and that works against them. That's why it's important to me that my kids get an education and a start in life without debt. They've seen how their parents have done it and have learned how money and interest works - that it can work for you or against you. Have patience and build, rather than getting in a hurry.

So am I "rich"? Maybe by some comparison. I'd rather say just an average guy that is "blessed".

Wisdom is knowledge applied. What you do with this is up to you and is just put out there as my experience.

Peace.
The following users liked this post:
GRAF-FITI (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Do the ECU relearn, if the car was babied it will tend to feel sluggish at part throttle, resetting the ECU definitely helps.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter
turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the instructions -

Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2
minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing.
AWESOME! This sounds great. The reason the car has so few miles on it is because it was only driven by a retired lady to the store and church on Sunday (literally). So clearing her driving history may make a big difference.

Thanks for this. Will definitely give it a shot!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Damn, nice cars and house. I particularly like that Z06. As a previous C6Z owner I can vouch for how insane those cars are.
As for the TL that is a damn nice find with that mileage. I would try and keep that car as clean as possible. I'm definitely not a fan of the wheels you ordered, but that's all personal preference. If I had that car I would do 35% tint all around, aspec kit, and without a doubt aspec wheels. With those mods the car would be perfect.
I just had the original tires removed from my 07 Type S (in service late 06) at 8,200 miles. Even though they looked new, you could tell they had some age on them and some areas in the tread you could see cracks in the rubber. So I would definitely get a new set of tires on yours soon (get 18" aspec dark gray wheels and new tires) ;-) It would look so good on that color!!!
When you say "aspec" wheels, are they the same as what others are referring to as the Type S gunmetal wheels? Where would I find some?

I like the idea of the gunmetal wheels. It was one of my son's choices and actually my first choice, but the company wasn't responsive.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander
When you say "aspec" wheels, are they the same as what others are referring to as the Type S gunmetal wheels? Where would I find some?

I like the idea of the gunmetal wheels. It was one of my son's choices and actually my first choice, but the company wasn't responsive.
I didn't read their replies again, but I think they were referring to the 07/08 17" Type S "waffle" wheels. The aspec wheels I'm referring to are 18" and available in bright silver, gunmetal, or chrome. IMO one of the best looking wheels you can get on the TL is the aspec wheel. And it happens to be a quality OEM wheel. They are available on eBay or the black market here. It's hard to find a good used set as it seems most people here for whatever reason like to destroy their rims by dragging them along curbs so buying new would be your best bet. If you search "Acura TL aspec" in eBay you should find some.
Here is a picture of my previous Type S I had with the dark gray aspec wheels so you have an idea what they look like.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander
AWESOME! This sounds great. The reason the car has so few miles on it is because it was only driven by a retired lady to the store and church on Sunday (literally). So clearing her driving history may make a big difference.

Thanks for this. Will definitely give it a shot!
I bought my Accord from my Dad who mostly used it to go to and from work in horrible Dallas area rush hour so throttle response was pretty sluggish. Did the relearn, part throttle felt better, shifts were quicker. And its free!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever get the wheels? The gun metal ones from RonJon sport site are nice looking. They are called legacy 7's . http://ronjonwheels.com/legacy7.html.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bzal1122
Did you ever get the wheels? The gun metal ones from RonJon sport site are nice looking. They are called legacy 7's . http://ronjonwheels.com/legacy7.html.
I haven't ordered them yet because I don't want them showing up while he is out of school for the holidays. I will go check those out. Thanks.