Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New info for those cross-shopping the TL and the G35

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New info for those cross-shopping the TL and the G35

There are quite a few questions on this forum by prospective buyers about the TL vs the G35, and there are quite a few answers to these questions, both biased and unbiased.

One of the frequently stated cons of the G35, both the sedan and the coupe, is the poor quality of the interior. The TL has definitely set a new standard for the interior of a $35K car, and the G35 falls far short of that standard.

It has been pretty well confirmed that the '05 G35, again both the sedan and the coupe, will have a new interior. To quote the Internet sales manager from Grubbs Infiniti in Dallas, TX, "the 05 interior in both the coupe and sedan are going to be totally redone and highly upgraded." Evidently this new interior will be shown at the NY Auto Show in April.

There's also an unconfirmed rumor that the G35s will receive power bumps in the '05 models as well. Not sure how much credibility to give to that rumor, though.

So I'm not making any statement about whether anyone should get the TL or the G35. However, if a potential buyer's major complaint with the G35 is its interior, it might be worth waiting a few months to see what happens there before making a decision. And as I said, it would have to be one HECK of a change to bring the G35's interior even close to the standard set by the new TL!
Old 01-22-2004, 11:30 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Did you post that on G35 forum?
Old 01-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Racer

Originally posted by desijatt
Did you post that on G35 forum?
I got it FROM the G35 forum.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:41 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
ok gotta go back and pay attention to my lecture in class.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Any ideas as to when the 05 G will be available for sale? I might be interested in a look but my timetable on a new car is no later than July.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Oswald Vater
Any ideas as to when the 05 G will be available for sale? I might be interested in a look but my timetable on a new car is no later than July.
People are speculating June since that's when the previous G35 model years have been introduced, but I honestly don't know.

The only thing about which I have much confidence at all is that the interior of the '05s will be getting an upgrade, and only that because so far the Grubbs Infiniti sales manager who provided the info has been very honest, accurate, and forthcoming in the past.

Sorry I can't help more...
Old 01-22-2004, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Thanks SC, it sounds like its in my time frame. However, they are still going to have had to do a first class job to get me away from a TL. Besides, I can probably get a better deal on an O4 TL than I could an 05 G.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro

That's great news as I really like the G35 coupe and wish Acura offered something as sexy and stylish in the form of a two door. Any news or rumos as to whether the sedan will receive any exterior changes? I'm not too fond of the rear styling.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jwaters943
Any news or rumos as to whether the sedan will receive any exterior changes? I'm not too fond of the rear styling.
I haven't heard anything about exterior changes on the sedan or the coupe. Pretty much what I've heard, and with the relative levels of confidence in those rumors, is listed above.

I would be surprised if there were any notable change in appearance to these cars. I think the general reception has been positive on both, even though that opinion isn't shared very heavily on this forum (at least regarding the sedan).
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SCWells72
I think the general reception has been positive on both, even though that opinion isn't shared very heavily on this forum (at least regarding the sedan).
I don't think that reception has been shared on any other forum besides the Infiniti ones. I really hope they make a classy looking car. If this requirement is met, I'd say a lot of performance oriented people would opt for the G35 given it's RWD setup.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Racer

Originally posted by vandy786
I don't think that reception has been shared on any other forum besides the Infiniti ones. I really hope they make a classy looking car. If this requirement is met, I'd say a lot of performance oriented people would opt for the G35 given it's RWD setup.
You're saying you don't think the G35 coupe's looks have been very well received? Or are you specifically referring to the sedan? The sedan's have been about hit-or-miss, with relatively more hit since they reworked the trunk to get rid of that out-of-place rectangle, but I've definitely seen as much positive as negative in print, on forums, etc. And I have a hard time thinking of anyone who doesn't think the coupe looks great.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:59 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SCWells72
You're saying you don't think the G35 coupe's looks have been very well received? Or are you specifically referring to the sedan? The sedan's have been about hit-or-miss, with relatively more hit since they reworked the trunk to get rid of that out-of-place rectangle, but I've definitely seen as much positive as negative in print, on forums, etc. And I have a hard time thinking of anyone who doesn't think the coupe looks great.
Agreed! I think the coupe is EASILY the best looking car for under $40k. In fact, most car forums absolutely love the exterior of the G35 coupe The g35 coupe sells almost as many units as the sedan and being a luxury coupe, that says something about the design.

Now the sedan is handsome but I think the 3 series and the new TL look a little better.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by EZZ
Now the sedan is handsome but I think the 3 series and the new TL look a little better.
Yeah, in spite of my own slip into this mode, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to take this thread off in the direction of whether the G35 is handsome, ugly, or whatever, since that's completely subjective anyway.

The point of my original post was just to say that those who do in fact admire the G35 and are trying to make a decision between the G35 and the TL might want to wait for what is now a confirmed redesign of (arguably) the G35's weakest aspect, its interior.

In the end, whether the G35 is chosen by a prospective buyer or whether the TL is chosen is irrelevant to me. I'm just trying to help those prospective buyers have all the info before they commit their hard earned $$$.