Sponsored by:

New Here, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Here, need some help

Hello all,

I recently bought my first Acura, an 05 TL 6mt, AM w/104k miles. I've never owned a MT before, and need some help with the learning curve. I have a few questions, and I know that I'm going to get responses telling me to look in previous posts and stuff, but I've been trying to find things and I've been looking around a lot but can't find the exact answers i'm looking for, so thanks for the help in advance. A few Q's:

1) When driving, are there any downsides to just taking off from 2nd? I find myself starting out smoother when I do that rather than 1st, but don't want to hurt anything.
2) What are the negatives to removing the slave cylinder check valve? I've seen that other people are doing it for smoother shifts, but don't want to jeopardize anything in doing it.
3) How necessary is the timing belt/water pump maintenance at 105k? can i wait a little bit or is it crucial that its done immediately?
4) What tires would be recommended for all season driving?
5) I saw that in the bulletin board that the 3rd gear problem was addressed by Acura, but will they repair it for me or am I responsible to fix it myself?

Thanks so much for the help and any other tips/advice for newbie TL owner and MT driver would also be appreciated!!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
1) i do it sometimes, but dont do it often
2)no clue about that. if you get rid of it, it just turns into a honda
3)a lot of people have done it before and after that marker. Best case scenario just do it to be on the safe side. why push it.
4) I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. pretty nice all season, haven't tried them in the snow yet. but its a steep price of 900 just for the tires.
5) GM syncromesh helps fix this problem. if you take it in you gotta let them recreate the problem and its a pain in the ass. Had the problem, did the swap of fluids and i am shifting smooth.
6)your welcome
Old 11-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
- I wouldn't start off uphill in 2nd but if you're stopped going down a small incline or something similar it won't hurt anything.

- I've read the same, I plan to leave mine how the rich engineers designed it.

- Your car is your bread n butter, without it making a living will be challenging and with that being said I would put your 105K service at the top of your priority list.

- A lot of people here are a fan of Continental DWS and will highly praise them, for the most part though a quality all season is a quality all season.

- GM Synchromesh Friction Modified is what you need, your local dealer may even stock it. If your 3rd gear isn't acting funny right now I suggest swapping in this fluid in the near future. My 3rd gear was sound and I had the fluid installed for good measure, there was a very obvious improvement in shifting!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dbronk11
Hello all,
1) When driving, are there any downsides to just taking off from 2nd? I find myself starting out smoother when I do that rather than 1st, but don't want to hurt anything.
Yes: if you aren't perfect at starting, you wear your clutch out more, and it puts unnecessary (though not much) extra strain on the engine.

3) How necessary is the timing belt/water pump maintenance at 105k? can i wait a little bit or is it crucial that its done immediately?
Just take care of it at 105k-110k. You'll thank yourself later I figure!

5) I saw that in the bulletin board that the 3rd gear problem was addressed by Acura, but will they repair it for me or am I responsible to fix it myself?
Does the car have a long history of being taken to Acura for service, washing, etc? Usually more than 35 records is the sweet spot. If so, take the car to the dealer and ask nicely if they can talk to district to get it done under goodwill. If not, swap out the tranny fluid for GM Synchromesh Friction Modified.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:45 PM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
^^ forgot about the friction modified thanks guys.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Cruisin'

thanks all, just bought some GMSMFM right now and will hopefully swap it out over thanksgiving break (i'm still in college). Gonna make it hopefully the first of many DIYs in the future. Still a little foggy on whether or not starting in 2nd has any negative effects though?
And one other thing, a few times this week when I was driving smelled a burning scent, I assume from my clutch and probably over-revving or something?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Taking off 2nd gear just put more stress on the clutch, thats why there is 1st gear.
It is recommended to do the TB service at 105K I would suggest you follow that recommendation.
The only thing ive read about the benefit of taking out the slave cylinder check valve, is if you have an aftermarket clutch.
Hope this helps and welcome aboard !
Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
congrats on the new purchase, and welcome to the 'zine!

the burning smell is most likely the clutch, try to avoid the 2nd gear starts if you can. less stress on tranny&clutch.

as far as tires, I just got a set of Yokohama AS530s and they seem to be doin pretty well for an all-season. plus, they weren't OVERLY expensive.

oh, and welcome to the AM family. you definitely made the right color choice.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

thanks all, I'm taking this info and hopefully can fully get the hang of the 6mt!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 PM
07 WDP TL Type S

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
can't really comment on much since I have an auto, but as for tires, I recommend Continental Extremecontact DWS. I love them, awesome in dry, rain and snow. But they are definitely a softer compound tire, so handling may not feel 100%